Do you have a favorite cult classic movie?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Esperahol • Aug 26, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It's certainly classic and every time I see it I think of Thriller with MJ. Unless I misremember I think the director (Michael Landon?) did both the Thriller video and the movie... Or maybe only the inspiration translated.

2. vjykmr89

vjykmr89Member

Threads:
    "Cult movie" is a rather wide definition and a lot of personal bias comes into the definition. It can include low budget popcorn fodder or mainstream films which weren't a success at the box office and were discovered later by video renters. Generally they are films which have a dedicated following, not necessarily an organised one and which don't belong to a successful franchise.

I wouldn't really disagree with any of your choices and I'd add:

Withnail and I
    The Blues Brothers
    Plan 9 from Outer Space
    Near Dark

3. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The Blues Brothers is kind of iffy because of the cult references it engenders - it's also a fantastic halloween custome idea. Plan 9... is something I need to go rewatch. I have no idea why I like the film, but I do.

4. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the most accepted definition of a cult movie is a movie that was not made by a huge studio or a famous filmmaker with huge backing, and didn't make a killing at the box office yet it still has a dedicated fanbase.. I guess Plan 9 could qualify, but not sure about Blues Brothers. :)

5. sir save a lot

sir save a lotNew Member

Threads:
    I never thought of Scarface as a cult classic, but it is a great movie. When I think of cult films I always think of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Although I have not been in many years, I have seen it over 100 times. What better way to spend a Saturday night? Not only is it fun to go to, but the music is great!

I am a bit surprised that nobody has brought up Brazil or Dune yet. Dune is a classic example of what happens when Hollywood gets its paws on a great film, and to me Brazil is the very definition of a cult film.

6. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I think someone mentioned Brazil, but Dune for me is a great film - really! It just isn't what I'd consider a cult classic. It just sort of lacks that quality that makes one all adoring and slavish.

7. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Been watching Child’s Play series in a row and have just finished The Bride of Chucky. As the series progresses, I find they are getting more amusing and less frightening. I’ve still got one more to go in the series – Seed of Chucky, which I hope to watch this weekend.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    ...Okay. Um, Seed of Chucky is a total comedy rather than any sort of horror. That said Child's Play and it's sequels aren't really cult classics. They are popular mainstream flicks rather than anything obscure or whatever.

9. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually never see a Child's Play movie, but.. correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the idea of the whole series to be something like later Nightmare on Elm Street movies? As in, slasher, but REALLY tongue-in-cheek/comedy?

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know. The first film certainly made an effort to be scary. However, the later ones especially Bride of Chuckie were much less serious. I guess like Scream and some others they just decided the premise was too stupid to bother trying to be serious over.

11. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Even I was under the impression that it was a mainstream movie series, but came across them being referred to as cult classics on many websites. Maybe they are wrong then, by how they categorize them!

12. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, we already talked about what makes a cult movie, and I don't think Child's Play qualifies.. :)

13. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    Ferris Bueller's day off! I watched it all the time as a kid, the best part is that it was almost always on during school times while I was staying home sick. (I was a goody good though and never skipped school playing sick...still loved the movie though)

14. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    Better Off Dead. It's an 80's movie and one of John Cusack's first starring roles.

15. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    The Stereo over his head, stands in the rain, has only one expression guy? 'Cause I now think of him as the number guy thanks to Rm 40-something and 2012. Wasn't in the lame "Raven" movie that was about Egar Allen Poe?