Do You Have A Favorite Grocery Store?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by thisnthat • Feb 21, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a favorite place to shop for groceries? Maybe you have more than one, depending on what you plan to purchase. For example, do you do all your grocery shopping at one favorite chain or local store, or do you buy meat in a specific meat shop and produce from a farmer's market and stuff like that?

I tend to do most of my shopping in the local grocery store. I do buy some things, sometimes, in other stores. I pick up a few things at Walmart. I go to Aldi for certain things if I'm in the area. I do shop at a meat market on occasion, especially if I'm looking for something in particular or if they're having a sale.

Where do you shop for food?

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I usually purchase food and any electronic at a place called Chedraui. It's similar to WalMart but I feel like it's cheaper since they're always comparing themselves to them and they always have the cheaper price compared to WalMart so that they could come out on top. They're pretty successful for that reason. I always try to purchase at competing stores because they usually have bigger discounts.

3. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I go to any grocery store depending on where I am leaving or am a the time. I have one where I can order online so I go to that one more often but if not I would just go to one closer to my house. There's one called Chedraui here where the prices are good so I guess that is the grocery store I prefer.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm, you have both mentioned Chedraui, but I have never heard of this store. Of course, there are a lot of stores that aren't available near where I live, so that is not altogether surprising.

Is it available in the US or are you in another country?

It sounds like Chedraui is very similar to Walmart from the description you gave, @TheKnight@TheKnight. Do they have basically the same stuff or just electronics and groceries?

I like the idea of a store that is trying to compete with Walmart. I don't think Walmart's prices are nearly as competitive as they once were, and their selection isn't as good as it used to be either (at least not around here).

5. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I shop locally for groceries and I am good to go with any store, what I watch out for while visiting stores to buy foodstuffs is price and quality. If I can get good value for my money when I buy chicken or rice and other food items I need then that store becomes my favorite. If after sometime I get information about another shopping center with better sales then I'll most likely try there too.

6. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's is my favorite store for food.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in Hawaii we have a weekly free newspaper called Midweek, that weekly supermarket ads are included. Safeway, Times Supermarket, locally, Foodland, locally are included weekly. We have a Sunday newspaper Honolulu Star Advertiser, that Midweek comes from too, with Sunday ads for Don Quiote supermarket, CVS, Walgreens, Target, Kmart and Walmart advertises when they got sales. So we have a good assortment of stores for food. Each store carries food that they feature sales on. I just pick what I need for the week to buy on sale. We belong to Marukai Wholesale Mart too, which is a membership store that's just half a block away where I get my heavy foods like 15 pounds of rice, half gallon of milk or soy sauce that's hard to cart on the bus. All sale items are always changed and you get different sale items for each store so there's a good variety to choose from, locally. We do have Whole Food Stores that I drop by now and then to see what kind of good healthier products I can afford. Sales are the best and you save a lot of money each week, for food and other necessities.

8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Not exactly. I always try to go to the places where I can buy the products I want / need with a friendlier price (I never stop to buy in the first place I go, unless the price of what I want / need is really very good).

Of course that I have a predilection for some places... But as I've said before, it's not always that I buy from them.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Why do you like Trader Joe's so much? Is it the quality, the price, the selection, the convenience?

I definitely watch the sales too, but wow, @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe, you have a lot of options. I get a couple of small sale papers each week for local stores. Of course, I check those out first to see if anything I need is on sale (or if the sales price is better than the price charged elsewhere).

I like certain stores better than others, but I'll go to the ones I like less if they offer the best values. Price and quality are the most important 'ingredients' for me too, @tonyb@tonyb.

10. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    I have one very near my house so it's convenient and it's cheaper than Whole Foods and always has something different or interesting and it's at least somewhat healthy.

I can't do all my shopping there but I do as much as possible, I go every other day.

11. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I like Whole Foods because they always have fresh organic and healthy food. Their products are usually expensive but I managed to find a way to trim down the price and save some money. Their official website is giving out free online coupons that I use to save some cash. Healthy organic foods can be affordable thanks to their coupons.

You can get coupons here:

12. Rosemary

RosemaryNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks, I haven't been to Whole Foods in awhile since it's my furthest store, but still less than 6 miles.

13. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I certainly do, and it is the one where I get the best deals. It actually is not the one that I like to go to the most in terms of the look, but I can set that aside when I know that I am saving some good money there.

14. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat :)We are lucky living on Oahu. The retailers have this system for us which we save a lot of money. Since Midweek is free, it's even better for us. The retailers who follow what's happening locally for weekly sales last. You can't beat sales for saving a lot of money and since it's weekly you can plan your meals and snacks with it too. I hope this catches on everywhere for we all eat and we all love to save money. The system retailers have makes for cash flow and moving merchandise quickly so we have fresh foods always.

#14Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy mostly from supermarket as most varieties of products are available there.

Our supermarket's prices are almost the same and in some instances even cheaper than local stores.

There are however, few other stores I turn to for few things.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Since I lived in a small city and there are no malls or supermarkets, I have to go to the capital city. I have to travel 45km just to shop to my favorite grocery store or in a mall. However our city is keeping up with the time. A handful of chain groceries is branching out to our place. And one of the marts is our favorite store which has opened its chain store here. Though the prices of goods and commodities differ a bit compared to its main store in the capital city at least we don't have to travel anymore. It is just a walking distance from our house.

17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a new Walmart that opened before Christmas near our village but I still have to check on it. Our favorite supermarket is SM Hypermart. Maybe it is just out of habit but there are perks especially the Bonus brand – food and household items which are priced at least 10% lower than the branded. Besides, SM supermarkets have the Rewards card that makes me earn points for every purchase I make. The points can be converted into money and be used to pay for the purchases. No other supermarket can top that for now.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have my favorite stores in every city where I live. Presently I live in NSW and I prefer Aldi over Cole just because Aldi is at ground floor while the Cole is on first floor. I love shopping Cole but I prefer Aldi's parking facilities.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    @thisnthat@thisnthat Everything is the same. They have clothing, electronics, groceries, gardening tools, and anything that a WalMart can have. Heck, it even has a food court inside too of many different businesses. I always suggest leaving WalMart and try finding a store similar to it. It doesn't have to be the same but if you're only looking for a certain category such as groceries, it's best to purchase somewhere else because even if a store only specializes in food, they're still competing against a larger store.

In the USA, there are huge Mexican grocery stores that are way cheaper than Walmart such as El Metate, La Reina, and North Gate. Stores based on other races/cultures tend to be cheaper.

#19Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  20. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight Oh, cool, thanks for the info. I like the idea of other stores giving Walmart some competition. Keeps them on their toes when they aren't the only game in town. Maybe it will help make their prices a bit more competitive as well.

That is a really good point. A store that specializes in one thing or another, like groceries, should be better and have better prices. I have to say that Walmart was simply more convenient when my kids were little. I could get everything in one stop and only have to get the kids in and out of car seats once. When you have four kids, it matters. :)

I do like specialty stores. We don't have too many nearby, but the ones that we do have are good.

@Ray1@Ray1 I definitely like Aldi. I shop there when I can.

#20Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017