Do you have a favorite sushi?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dizzykitsune • Oct 16, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Every time I go to a Japanese restaurant I like to try something new. I keep a mental list of the ones I know I like, but I still prefer to be adventurous and continually try something else. Sometimes I'll order something different along with a classic I enjoy, such as a Philadelphia roll. Does anyone have a specific type of sushi they order ever time they eat Japanese?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I can, I always go for the max amount of sushi I can get in contrast to its price. Meaning, I go for the Chirashi bowl, because it's loaded with a variety of meats I like to eat and fills me up every time. I usually go for the rolls, only if I have never tried it before.

3. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've had a bunch that I like, but a lot of the time they're "house specials" and not necessarily the same everywhere...I love Dragon Rolls and the Mt Fuji roll. Of course there are some basic ones too- California, Spicy Eel, etc. I like trying new kinds of sushi :)

4. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't have a favorite sushi. I've tasted different kinds of sushi before and I haven't like any particular kind. When it comes to Japanese food, I always go for Takoyaki (little round balls with bits of octopus meat and shrimps) and also spicy ramen noodles. :)

5. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    My absolute favorite sashimi is salmon. It's also my favorite fish when it's cooked. The king of fish!
    As far as sushi rolls go, my favorite one is the rainbow roll. It's a log of California roll wrapped in two or three different kinds of sashimi, including salmon and tuna, and avocado slices. It looks pretty and tastes great. Some places even put tempura shrimp inside a sushi roll. Very Americanized but a tasty treat.

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite sushi dish is uni. I love how creamy it is. Some people do not enjoy the taste. When I first started eating sushi, I liked shrimp tempura type rolls with sauce and veggies. As I ate more, I liked more vegetarian type flavors. Now I like more singular fish tastes like sashimi (only fish + rice).

Everyone has different tastes and preferences. As long as you enjoy the flavors, I think every kind is valid!

7. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I know exactly what you mean! There used to be a sushi I loved called the 'New Fusion Roll' that I was unaware was a special type of sushi that changed completely every now and then. There was one very particular one that I adored, but it was gone and exchanged with a new recipe the next time I went to that particular Japanese bar... I was very disappointed.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I only order California maki or tamagotchi rolls almost every time but from time to time I do venture out and try other pes too. Thugh I usually just like tasting them once or a few times then I always come back to my favorites. I've also tried the Philadelphia roll as well as spicy tuna and I like them both alright too.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a single favorite because I like them all. I like trying everything that a Japanese restaurant has to offer because no to Japanese restaurants are the same. :)

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sashimi, California Maki and regular Maki - I usually order these three whenever we go Jap and eat out at Nihon restaurants to soothe the cravings of our oriental tongues. The thing is, Jap cooking is expected to be raw so we appreciate it better if our sushi meals are cooked. They taste better when cooked just like Kimbap (Korean version of sushi).