Do You Have A Fireplace....

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Feb 14, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a fireplace in your home that you use occasionally or more often? Is it gas or electric, wood burning? If it's wood burning, do you have your chimney cleaned yearly?

Some states (US) regulate the chimney sweeps, I didn't know that. If you don't live in the US, are there regulations in your country as well?

If you have an older home, as we do, our home inspection stated that our fireplace would require a thorough inspection but at present it was strongly advised not to attempt to use it. It would probably cost a pretty penny I bet.

Anyway it's a nice vocal point in our living room with its faux appearance. If you have a non working fireplace do you do anything to make it stand out? Candles, floral arrangements...

I've come to appreciate not having the added expense for maintaining a fireplace but I'll always wonder what's it's like to sit in front of a cozy fire on a cold winter's night.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    No, I currently don't have a fire place in my home.But if I have learned anything about them in the future if I do have a fireplace I want it to either be gas or electric. I don't want a wood burning fire place. I have some neighbors who have these, and there are times when it smells like they are burning down the forest. Even on those days that are suppose to be no burn days, they are still out there burning their wood. I find this to be horrible air pollution. I like a fireplace, the ambience of them and the warmth they give, but I am not a fan of the smell that goes into the air from wood burning ones.