Do You Have A Garden?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by tonyb • Oct 14, 2016.

1. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yes,and I try to grow some vegetables most of the year and find the smaller varieties of tomatoes can survive the heat in the summer,like the grape and cherry tomato with the heat and humidity. I find pots or containers a nice interesting way to grow vegetables because they are off the ground,and are more attractive as well, if you have a kitchen garden. Also I like to mix some flowers among the vegetables to give it a cottage look.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have it but my parents do. The garden they built is already a few years old, and they still care for it with the same care they took care of at first.

I confess I don't understand much about it, but I help them (because they teach me) whenever I can.

3. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I found certain ideas which sound wonderful for people willing to grow plants in their balcony even if they had limited space. They provided certain unique ideas which did not need any floor area but all was done in hanging position. Watch this video and DIY

4. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We have a front yard and we have planted a few types of vegetables in the flower pots. Yes, I agree that it is very good for us to have even a small garden, as we can always eat the vegetables fresh and they are usually grown naturally. It also helps us to save money as well.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small backyard in the back of my apt. home. I have potted plants of aloe and broad leaf plantain. I just saw from the bus as I was commuting home a home that had eggplant growing which looked yummy, lol. I wish I could have a vegetables growing in pots some day, but I've yet to see if I can carry the potting soil home on the bus! When I was younger I stayed one summer at my Aunt's home in CA. They had next door about a quarter acre of land which her father-in-law grew fresh vegetables. We harvested and ate them when I was visiting her and it was so terrific tasting that I'd love to have a little vegetable garden one day if only a potted vegetable garden for that fresh taste of vegetables would be alright.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    IMG_20161216_135011. It's very easy to have topsoil which is available at almost any store dealing with seeds and related items @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe . I have just bought two bags of them for my little balcony here because my wife misses her garden and plants back home. Meantime I can give you that image of her eggplant in a poly-pack on our rooftop

7. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :)Thanks for the information, I'll look into it. The garden looks yummy! Eggplants locally range from 1.99 a pound to 2.99 a pound. The 1.99 is sale price. Even the farmers market prices are not cheap-usually 2.49 a pound! So many dishes you can make with this purple veggie that will fill you up, so you save money when you grow your own garden veggies for sure! Thanks again.

#27Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Krissttina Isobe@Krissttina Isobe The one in picture is the green variety which is generally not available in our local shops. My wife grew this plant by sowing seeds gifted by one of her friends who is as much interested in growing vegetables as a hobby as well saving money. She also has a big open roof where she has a glass house for growing mushrooms that she sells to a local shop.

#28Apr 15, 2017
  9. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 :)That's fantastic. Your wife is lucky she has a green thumb. Having fresh veggies is the best in the world. You can pick as much as you want and you know it's clean for you've grown it. The best is that you have satisfaction from growing it and harvesting it just at the right moment to eat! :)

#29Apr 15, 2017
  10. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    IMG_20161216_134210.
    Actually she leaves no chance when it comes to growing quality vegetables and save money. She has grown almost everything that is possible to grow in our kind of climate and according to season. We had couple of tomato plants producing enough for two of us as well for our neighbors. Here is one of them-

11. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I live in a flat on the 2nd floor. We don’t have a garden. Secondly I live in a rented flat and therefore having plants on pots is also not advisable, because it either breaks or gets left behind while shifting. I plan to have a garden, whenever I buy a house or a flat. I will grow a few plants in pots because it is very difficult to get a ground floor with space for gardening. It will be very expensive. More than what I can afford.

12. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Bing able to have a garden would be a welcome inclusion for me but it's not to be. All that I have got is a small space where some flowers are already planted there. I don't think that I would uproot the flowers to plant a few vegetables so I am going to stick with the beautification from the flowers instead of switching to growing some produce.