Do you have a lot of plastic in your home?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Mar 11, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These days plastic is everywhere. Cheap and nasty materials are replacing quality products made from metal, wood or glass. I can't believe how much plastic accumulates in an average household. Even in mine. One day I collected every single plastic item I had and put it in a pile. Then I threw it all in a big bag and donated it to charity, as I figured people will keep buying it anyway. So they might as well buy it as cheap as possible. I gave away soap holders, food containers, cutlery and jars, just to name a few. I have since found long lasting replacements for them and feel much better.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of empty plastic bottles at home. I usually collect them in one place until a lot accumulate. Then like you I'll pack them up in a bag and bring them to a recycle station. I agree that plastic is everywhere these days ranging from jars, shampoo, soap, food containers, and water bottles. Sending them for recycle is the best way to do.

3. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly avoid to buy products envelopped in plastic, in order to avoid bottles and boxes in my home. That wouldn`t be hard for me to gather them and bring them to a recycle station, but I believe that milk in a plastic bottle isn`t milk anymore, so a paper-based envelope is healthier.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do but I also try reusing the plastic containers when possible. Do I need a plastic bottle or other plastic recipient? Then I don't buy a new one and use the ones I already have. Also, when shopping I carry my own plastic bags and avoid buying or asking for new ones because what's the point. When possible I also buy products packaged in eco friendly packaging. Finally, just like you, I always recycle and make sure to sort my trash (plastic in this case) properly.

5. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I get plastic water bottles and go through a few every week, but I don't keep them around much longer, I might reuse them once or twice but then they start getting a weird smell and I take them out to the recycling.

6. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    We have some plastic in our home, but not much. Our milk is collected in glass bottles for a whole foods store, and most of our groceries are fresh produce. Certain products come in plastic, and there's not much you can do about that. We just make sure we recycle, and some containers I re-use for other purposes.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have more plastic in the kitchen than I would like. I try to replace the plastic that is showing wear with glass as often as possible. My daughter takes lunch to work so we have to have dishes that can be transported without concern for breakage.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the plastic in my apartment is in the kitchen, in the form of drink pitchers and food containers. I know that they make food storage containers that are glass but it's not economically feasible for me to buy all new glass food containers or replace my trash can with a metal one. I'm not crazy about plastic, but the economic reality is that I have to live with it for a while until I can afford better.

9. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I accumulate lots of plastic water bottles and jugs but they are always collected and recycled. Plastic bottles marked with 1 on the bottom are not recommended for washing and reuse. I wish I had a better source of water.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah but the plastic in our home are mostly composed of Tupperware nowadays. There has been an ordinance that prohibits the malls from using plastic bags, so the plastic in our house has been greatly reduced.