Do You Have A Manual Can Opener Around?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Feb 28, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Our electric can opener konked out on us. I'm glad now I can get a new one. I wasn't so glad when I needed it to open a can of tuna one day. I wondered 'Do we even have a manual can opener?' I searched all the places that I keep my kitchen gadgets and took a deep breath of relief when I actually found one.

I have been searching online for the perfect can opener specifically a taller one because we often buy larger cans when having a get together. They seem so flimsy like they will topple over from the weight of a large can. I made me think that getting a taller one isn't the best option and to use the manual can opener for the larger cans.

Do you still have a manual can opener as a back up? Is it in a place that you don't have to search for it like I did? What do you think about the electric can openers available today?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use a manual one as I find it is easier. As most cans have a pull ring I rarely need to use it anyhow, so even though we have an electric one, it's not worth the hassle for what is literally a few seconds. I do hate it when the can ring falls off so that's when the manual one comes in handy again, but I think electric ones aren't worth it these days because of the new designed cans.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is true about the new can design. I have noticed more and more of the products I buy even store brands are beginning to offer that option. Though there is a slight increase in price to consider for the convenience. That's something to think about as well as the cost of electricity for the electric can opener. Thank you for the post Theo.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I only have manual ones at this point. I had an electric one for many years and it was great when I was cooking for a lot of people and using a lot of canned goods.

Nowadays, though, I rarely even use food from cans and opt more toward fresh foods...so I don't often need a can opener.

5. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Electric can openers and me just do not agree. I have so much trouble using them, something always get stuck or caught, or spills and makes a mess. I much prefer a handheld manual can opener and find they work just fine.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have manual can openers and I like them just fine. They even have manual can openers that cut smooth edges so that you don't cut yourself. The manual can openers now work more smoothly than the ones that were around when I was a kid.

7. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I have the electric one and the hand one and I always end up using the manual one only because it is right there, I don't have to plug it in and I can use it quickly. The electric items are great but not convenient for people who are always in a hurry

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I'm not big on the electric versions. They always seems so hard to operate, and then they break before you've mastered how to use them; they're just too fiddly for my liking! I don't see the point of them. We currently have one that we rarely use, as the manual one works a whole lot better. Plus the manual ones are very durable.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The manual can opener that we have is not working for me, it will travel around the can get caught up requiring me to start over, resulting in the can not being completely open and hard to get the food out of the car. I try to purchase more and more of the pull tab cans to avoid the manual can opener.

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never possessed an electric can opener in my life, and neither has anyone I know. I must be living behind the moon... well, in many ways I am, and I prefer it that way. :)
    I have had my trusty manual can opener for nearly 5 years now. It just keeps on going and going. At this rate it'll probably last another 5 years. And I'm happy with that. :)

11. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I have had electric can openers in the past, but opt for a manual one now. My current kitchen situation is not as spacious as I would like. I do not like a bunch of clutter on my counter top, so I like to have a regular manual can opener I can just tuck away in a drawer.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've always just had a manual can opener because electric ones arent very popular here and i never found it too much trouble anyway. I have one and its lasted me about 2 years now. It's very well made and it does the job well. Plus, it's very easy to clean since most of the time i only really have to give it a good rinse.

13. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't remember if we had ever used an electric can opener before. The ones we are still using are from years ago. They are the usual mechanical can openers that are hand held. I wouldn't mind getting an electric can opener, but I think we haven't seen one that is appealing to us. It's not that we intentionally choose a mechanical can opener over the rest. We just got what was on the market.

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we have a couple. We never had an electric one, it's not like it's worth the money for the minimal amount of work it will save.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We never had an electric can opener, I actually did not know that an electric one existed until I got to read your post. I think ever since I was a kid we have been using the same can opener until now. I think I also won't consider buying an electric can opener because it ceases to function, while a manual can opener doesn't.

16. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I probably have a couple lying around. Personally I just whip out a Swiss army knife for the job. The electronic can openers seem iffy at times, they don't always work for cans of different sizes - I think I'll just stick to the manual ones.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I just use a manual one because I like as few things as possible on the my kitchen counters and it would be inconvenient to have to take an electric one out of the cabinet and put it back in every time I needed a can opener--which is rather seldom in the first place.
    I'm surprised, though, to see how many people are in agreement here on not having an electric one. There are enough of them on the market to make you think nearly everyone in the world needed one. For my part, the only reason I can think that anyone would need one is if there is if arthritis or some other thing made it hard for them to use their hands.

18. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always used the manual ones, until my kids bought me an electric one as a gift one year. I've had it quite a while, but it's getting to that stage where you have to fuss with it to actually get the can open (which is the reason I never liked them). I do still have one or two manual ones around. I figured I should keep them as back up. When the electric one quits, I'm not sure I'll get another. I'll probably just go back to using the manual can opener all the time.

19. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I only have manual ones. I do not think that there is an better alternative to it. I think they are also cheap and definitely usefully . I have never has the electric one till now.

20. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of the old fashioned stuff that you can take out of the cupboard and use right away. I don't have the patience to still plug it in and then use it because in my kitchen it is rush rush time to get supper out for the kids and the family on time.