Do You Have Any Tips For Making Canned Food Last Longer?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by writer811 • Jul 3, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Hey, everyone. My family likes to can food that we grow ourselves. Things like peaches, pears and grapes. I was just wondering if there is any way to make them last longer because we always seem to give them away so they get used before they go bad. Any ideas on that?

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I think the trick is in the way you store them. Where you store them is key and I have heard that darker glasses will keep more sun out and food will keep longer. I also found more tips online:

3. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I don;t really know but what we do is just we put it on the fridge. No special covers and wrap ups and I think it lasts awhile too. Like how long do you want it to last? I think that it is still best to consume it early or before the indicated date of expiration.

4. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    We usually put all of our canned food in the fridge. Although we don't buy canned food as often as we used to, when we bought tuna it'd last a long time in the fridge. Other opened canned food, like pineapples, don't last long, though. It all depends on the item at hand.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you're canning it, by default it's going to last much longer than a lot of other foods. Just how long are you hoping to store it for? Pay close attention to where you end up storing it (for example, not in extreme heat) and you should be fine.

6. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks! I'll try using the darker colored glass but I think Jessi solved the problem. Our storage cellar tends to get pretty hot. If heat is an issue I can definitely see it affecting them.