Do you have internet service and satellite/cable?

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by MrsJones • Dec 14, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We have a satellite dish and we have internet service from different providers. I feel that there is a savings that can be found between the two. I know that giving up one would be obvious but which one? How can you get the benefits of both by using one service instead of the two?

Do you have internet service and satellite/cable? Have you thought of how you could save on these two services? If so, I'd like to hear you thoughts.

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I have internet service and it's been acting really weird today. I don't know about satellite, but it's really hard for me to tell if the internet is going to cooperate as the day go on. I'm thinking about switching to Fios even though it's more expensive.

3. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I have cable and internet from the same providers. I would consider switching if one the of the other providers offered something the other one other than "speed" but I don't really see that happening anytime soon. My provider (FIOS) has been consistent, which is what I really want.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Where I live, we have internet and cable or satellite technology, Almost everywhere you go,once you have a device that transmits internet connectivity, you will be able to connect to internet, free of charge of course, with the exception that some wifi devices will have locks on them. As for internet and cable, we are not yet at the stage where we can stream television on our mobile phones and other devices but we have several cable companies locally and severally satellite companies too. What I would like now, is if cellphone providers would start the transmit internet services via their satellites. So that practically everyone will have internet, so, just as how everyone can have "signal" on their cellular phones, everyone should have free internet. There should be on a law enforcing internet usage. I know it can happen.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do have internet service but no cable. The internet connection we have is very basic and slow. Satellite is available for the users of Dish in the area. It would be nice to have a faster connection and a more reliable service, this one goes out a lot, we need to reset the modem several times during the week to get service.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I have internet and cable, and almost every other day I give serious thought to turning my cable off because it costs so much. I don't get any movie channels at all, but my bill is still high. I think that the only way that I could save money on either service is to turn my cable off, or just strip it down to the bare bones cable service, but that would irritate me, having so many channels that are blocked when I try to access them.

I don't have any complaints about reliability, I have no problems with my cable or my internet, my internet works fast I guess. The only thing is the cost.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do have internet service. I am not familiar with how satellite cable works though. I don't think it's available here since I live here in the Philippines.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have internet service and cable from the "lovely" Comcast. I would love to get rid of cable especially since it is from them but some things are not shown on the internet and if you even find what you are looking for and you don't have a subscription to streaming services you have to worry about unsafe links. Also my mom watches the TV a lot.

9. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    We just have Comcast/Xfinity over here, for TV and email/cable...I've been happy with it. I even kept the old vintage cable box when everyone else in my family switched to the newer one where you can "talk into" it to search for movies and all that. And one of our TV's also has Netflix now, but I can tell you I've tried it a couple times and wasn't very impressed. Almost every single movie I tried to get wasn't available, and instead, they just kept showing me lists of other movies that were similar to the one I wanted. No thanks! I love Comcast. :) I can do a simple search by typing in the letters, and most of the movies are either free or $2.99 - not bad. ;)

10. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have internet service and satellite service in my home. I pay around $20 for using internet and watching TV channels. For internet, I have USB Data Dongle. It is volume based prepaid service, I use about 5 GB data every month. I use DTH satellite service for my TV.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have both internet DSL which comes with 24/7 tech support (I need this so badly) and cable for tv. We don't have much of a choice here in Hawaii for tv. Either dish or cable. I saw a commercial about Sling. I don't know if it works here in Hawaii I got to research it a little. I'd sure like to save for our tv for we pay $79 now. My internet costs only 9.99 plus tax for 7 mbps.

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I am using an unlimited DSL internet from our country's leading landline company. It comes with a free landline phone. I find cable TV a luxury in my area and it's something I can live happily without. I don't have much time to watch TV and it's not my preferred form of entertainment. If I had some free time, I'd probably spend it playing computer games or learning how to program.

13. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    We get a bundle deal with mobile, landline and internet, but while cable TV is part of it, we don't watch it very often. The problem is that the bundle deal with cableTV is cheaper than buying the components seperately without it so removing it would actually cost us money! I have a

on my PC and between that and iPlayer, I watch most of my TV on there.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any of those services as I don't own a TV and I pay for internet as I go. When I do decide to get any of the services I think it would be a good idea to pay them as a bundle as they are cheaper that way here. The offer I've been getting information for is for internet and cable TV for $30 a month which I think it's pretty descent especially if it comes with enough channels and high speed internet.

15. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to use satellite dish for Internet services too but it doesn't work well when the sky is cloudy. In my area where there are frequent rains it is not advisable.

I use a 4G mobile broadband which is faster and cheaper too. Nowadays there is drastic reduction in data charges. Thanks to stiff competition going on among telecom service providers. It is expected to fall down further. I get more than 70% discount on data charges compared to the price around 3-4 months back.

16. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    @MrsJones@MrsJones I used to work with satellite internet, but I changed to the cable service. Because that technology suffers connection problem when any object passes in front of antenna. Moreover, even when it rain, you cannot access internet. Anyway, 3G-4G technology works similarly, but with much higher speed.

#16Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2017
  17. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I have internet connection and no satellite cable service. I am not seeing any need for a cable connection at the moment. The reason for this is because I am able to virtually do everything I would have needed cable for online. I do not watch TV much, that would have probably made me more interested in a cable connection.