Do You Have Lots Of Discount Stores In Your Area?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Mar 29, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a few little mom and pop discount stores in my area, and I like the idea of them. I always have a look, and I try to buy stuff there instead of another store, if they have things I need. I like the bargains of course, but I also want to support them. I also tell other people about them to help them save money as well, but also because I want them to stay in business.

One of these is mostly for groceries. Another has a variety of items.

Do you have lots of discount stores nearby?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We come from a small family run grocery store, so you're kind words are so nice to see, thanks so much! When I was little this was before the supermarkets and we carried everything from vegetables to dried goods. We got whole bologna and sliced it for the customers too. It was so nice and we had fun making lifetime friends even helped them out till pay day so they'd have food to eat. Well when the big supermarkets came in that was the end to us we dwindled down to a liquor store then our landlord wanted to renovate and the land was changed so much we had to move out. I have fond memories of growing up at a general store. I too like to frequent the smaller stores when I can. Thanks so much for the kind words again! :)

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have about 20 discounts stores in my hometown. Doesn't seem like much but it's a very small town. And as they have uniform prices for almost everything they sell you can buy from the discount store closest to where you live and get as good a deal as someone who buys from any other discount store elsewhere in town.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The rise of discount stores means that they do try and undercut each other. In my parent's town there about at least half a dozen, and twice as many goodwill shops. Most sell items with a short date, or are Pound stores. These days the quality of products is getting better, so the cheap stores don't always sell cheap goods, but better value ones.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a nice story. Thanks for sharing it. I'm glad I could make you smile, and I mean every word. I know how hard these people work, and I want to see them do well. I also like being able to get good deals, so some of it is self-interest too. :p

I find these little discount shops much more fun to shop in as well. They often have things you can't find everywhere else (I live in the country and don't have access to every single thing, except online). I also love how the people are so nice and friendly, like you described. The owners of the food store often help people out. I think they are the heart of the community. They are truly good neighbors to the people they serve, so I'm happy to support them.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, in this immediate area we only have Dollar General and Family Dollar neither of which I am especially thrilled with. I am dying for a Dollar Tree. I have read that they bought out one or both of the these retailers...but I have yet to see the impact. We don't really have any other discounters, unless you count CVS which thinks of itself as a discounter,,but most of their things are fairly pricey if you ask me.

7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have many of these types of stores in my area. I have the usual Dollar Generals and Family Dollars. There is also Dollar Tree and many thrift stores. There used to be a market when I was growing up that was a family owned grocery store and this is where we would get our meats from since they had a really good selection and cut the meat right there for you. It was convenient since it was literally right down the road from where I lived. However, it disappeared once the owner died and the family sold it off. I miss this type of place to shop at where some of their prices were so much better than the chain grocery stores. I like when the owners and the workers get to know you and make your trip there a more personal experience.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is a much better experience, I think. The people try to make their customers happy and feel welcome. They will even special order stuff sometimes. You won't get all that in a big box store.

Oh, I almost forgot. We recently found a little meat shop in the area too. Their prices are about the same as those in the other stores. They have comparable prices, yet you still get a better value. The meat is hand cut, it's much fresher, and it is much better trimmed, so you still actually get more for your money. The service is also great. They will do special cuts if you ask, and they are very friendly and nice.

9. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    We have a few here. Dollar type stores, discounted supermarkets like Aldi and other smaller family owned chains all in the town I live in. Many of the smaller ones are being bought out by the bigger ones though. I heard recently that Poundland, basically a dollar store but for the UK, has bought up even some of the larger chains to get rid of competition. So they're basically all the same now anyway.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes there are a lot of cheap eateries in here and mom and pop stores and bakeries too, so there is no shortage of cheap stores in here. There are also lots of large malls in here, but of course those are not cheap malls. Convenience stores also abound in my area.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have a Dollar Tree, 99 Cents Only Store and some small ones like Dollar Genie. We also have a few Asian .98+ stores in the area that sell everything from bath mats to shampoo. I wish we had a Dollar General because I always hear about the sales and coupon deals there.

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes we do, but I have realised that sometimes the stores aren't as good value as you might think, as sometimes they all raise the price of certain goods to make up for their low prices on others, which is a good trick to help them make some money. So I make sure I know whether the things I need are cheaper in the discount stores or in the supermarket, and I will then purchase them from there. A little research can save you a lot of money in the long term!

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a large city area and we do not have many of those types of stores. We have The Dollar Store and Dollar Generals but no mom and pop variety stores. Other sections have more of these types of stores than my area and it is a treat to visit those stores when I am in that area.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I wouldn't call them discount stores but there are a few shops here where you could buy certain items for cheaper although even the boutique shops have only selected products which will end up being cheaper and the rest will mostly equal whatever is available at bigger shops in terms of price. I think it's because bigger stores can also drive their prices down much easier since they buy in much more quantities. My favorite place to shop is at clearance sections at these big stores because I get to buy brand new items at a fraction of their original cost and all you have to give in return is a bit of effort to dig for the really good discoveries.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We live in the suburbs and although there are mini malls and supermarkets here, discounts are quite rare unlike in the city. That's why I had posted in another thread that I travel 10 to 15 kilometers for my favorite supermarket because of so many reasons and one is the discounts and promos. But during the Christmas season, almost all the stores here have their promos and discounts as if it was competition time. And I definitely patronize the nearby stores during that season.

16. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Yep! We have dollar stores across the street from our dollar tree stores across the street from discount stores across the street from discount grocery stores. I'm within a couple of miles of a ton of different shopping options, like a 5-8 minute jog and I'm there.

17. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    My area in Northeast Tennessee is loaded with them. Note, they usually come about as supermarkets or downtown areas become abandoned. Once the big-name stores leave, then the consignment shops come in.

Anyhow, though, they are nice places to buy things at a massive discount, but I doubt if the discounts on many things are much less than Wal-Mart. Nonetheless, people enjoy shopping there cause it has more a personal and local feel than Wal-Mart.

18. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, not as much as I would like. :p

However, I can't complain because the rebates - even if they are not in large quantities - they are usually quite generous (and at the end of the day it ends up compensating in the balance :D).

19. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    They have all those dollar stores here as well,and they also have a Dollar Tree but its farther from town near Walmart. They are very close so I can ride a bike and get there pretty fast and load up my backpack - then put it in the metal basket on the front of my bike and head home before the summer rains start to fall. One of these stores even has a bike rack, which is nice because I have never seen them at dollar stores anywhere else.

20. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    Not really. There is one big shopping center here in my city that has a lot of discounts, almost every weekend, but still it's kind of expensive. But there are some times of the year when every shop offers some huge discounts and poeple tend to use these offers a lot, naturally, and buy a lot of stuff.