Do you invest in jewelry or go for the inexpensive stuff?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Dec 10, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Jewelry pieces can appreciate overtime if they become rare. With this in mind, do you invest in jewelry? To date, I have stuck with the cheap stuff. It's a 'now' choice that fits my budget. Yet, one day, I would like to purchase a unique piece that I can hand down to my children.

2. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I buy cheap (costume) jewelry. They are much more affordable and allow me diversity in style. But I wish I had enough extra money to buy real jewelry. If I were rich, I would just but the real stuff in different styles. The few times I've bought the real deal were on vacation trips abroad. I've come across some really good deals abroad that I knew I would never find in the States. Also, I love the unique designs some countries give to their jewelry.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I don't 'invest' in jewelry, but buy it because I want to wear it and enjoy it. Investing is a good idea, but you do have to wait a long time for the price to raise and you may need the money.

4. tspires2

tspires2Member

Threads:
    I only buy the cheap stuff too! I used to think I was better off to buy only real jewelry and just have less of a selection. Now with styles changing so much (gold, silver, platinum, etc) I have started only buying the cheaper because I know I will not wear it for a lifetime like I once thought. I will only wear it until the style changes. Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to buy something so rare or so big that the rarity or weight would be an investment so I just stick to what I enjoy looking at!

5. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    When I shop for jewelry I try to buy a great brand name that is also durable. I mean I don't want some piece of cheap jewelry. That would be the wrong way to go seeing as how easily the jewelry can be broken and what not.

6. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I try my hardest to find a happy medium. I'm okay with paying for quality, but I do find that a lot of jewelry is extremely overpriced! I don't want to have to make payments on any sort of jewelry unless it were related to marriage.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not for me, because I'm a little clumsy and I tend to lose or misplace my things very easily. It's why I rarely buy expensive jackets, sunglasses or jewelry, so if I ever do misplace any of them, I wouldn't be too regretful of the purchase. Due to my constant lack of attention, I tend to put my investments on things I can just leave at home safely intact. :p

8. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    Ever since I lost a beautiful diamond bracelet (it had a faulty clasp and fell off), I have been reluctant to invest in expensive jewelry. I like costume jewelry better these days. An earring got lost at a party and though I loved those earrings, knowing I paid so little for it took the sting off. I do have some pretty fancy real jewelry, but buying them is a rare event.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Im not a big fan of all that real jewelry stuff , I like to dress up with mostly cosmetic jewelry with earring and bangles to match my cloths so no I wouldn't invest big investment in real jewelry.

10. mistysauro

mistysauroNew Member

Threads:
    I personally love costume jewelry it looks almost as good as the real stuff and I don't have to worry about getting robbed.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get mostly costume jewelry, I only ever get the real gold expensive ones when someone gives them to me as gifts. I live somewhere that is a bit dangerous, so I don't feel comfortable wearing real jewelry outside and fear getting stolen because of it. Also, I like using different stuff everyday, and I would not be able to afford purchasing a lot of expensive jewelry all the time. I like having some staple real gold items, but for the most part I'm glad wearing cheaper stuff.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure that real jewelry is that much of an investment. A friend of mine needed to sell his jewelry because he had an emergency, and those cash for gold places hardly gave him anything.
    In order for jewelry to be an investment, someone has to be willing to pay you good money for it, otherwise you're just losing money.

13. jazzalazz

jazzalazzMember

Threads:
    I have a ton of jewelry like earrings and necklaces that are cheap, inexpensive pieces that I wear often. I also have a few more expensive collection of jewelry that is saved for special occasions. This way, I will be less likely to break or lose my special jewelry and still have some nice looking jewelry, however it is cheap, for daily wear.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of jewelry, but if I happen to see something that I like, then I would buy it. I don't see the need to invest in jewelry.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear much jewelry, which has always been kind of a trip since I make jewelry. I use my hands a lot so I would have some concerns about nice stuff getting messed up while I was working on a project or outside digging in the dirt. I'm also not too keen on walking around with something on me that some crazy person would want to cut off an appendage to take away from me.

16. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    My rings are "real" but everything else is costume jewelry. I like wearing bracelets and pendents, and the occasional broach and have amassed quite the collection. I couldn't possibly afford to wear these items if they were real gold, silver or gemstones.

17. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    I don't wear much jewelry. Mostly just earrings and a belly button ring. My boyfriend gets me jewelry. I don't know why because he knows I don't wear it. I think he gets the jewelry he buys me from Amazon. My earrings I just buy from Walmart. I don't need to spend a lot on jewelry. As long as I like the way they look, I am fine with them not being name brand or anything.

18. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I usually invest in my jewelry. I make sure that I can wear it with as many outfits as possible and that they have a pretty good warranty before I purchase it. If I see something that I really like and it's costume jewelry, I would still usually purchase it because they have a bigger variety and I like the colours that they incorporate. The most delicate jewelry that I own is a Swarovski charm bracelet that my boyfriend got me for Christmas last year. The charms are all silver and so they go well with any outfit.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't appreciate metal and rocks the way most people do lol.. I don't put importance in them so I won't pay much for them either. I have a ring that was passed down to my mother and then to me, but otherwise, I don't like diamonds etc. Cheap can break (although I haven't had it happen yet), but you can replace it over and over if it does lol.

20. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I have never really invested on any jewelry. I don't find them worth my money. If I will invest on something, I'd go for a house.