Do You Keep a Change Jar?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by nwitt • Apr 23, 2014.

1. SicariusX

SicariusXNew Member

Threads:
    I do not have a change jar as my wallet has a special compartment just to keep change. As such, whenever that compartment starts to get bloated, I would tend to spend away the coins just to make the compartment empty again (and also to reduce the weight of my wallet:D ).

2. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    No I don't usually but a friend of mine used to keep coins in like coin stacks wrapped in paper and sealed with rubber bands. It added up to quite some money at one point and we used it when we needed to buy something fast once so yeah, I would say it is useful to keep your coins stacked because they can really add up to quite a bit of money, nothing much but you can buy at least, I dunno say a few packs of cigarettes or so with the money of over a few months. But that's if you use frequent cash exchange, if not it can take a while.

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I do keep a change jar, and to my surprise,I have quite a lot of money in it! lol, enough money to put gas in my car and provide me with lunch for a day! every time I come home from a day of work and I empty my pockets, I put the remaining change in my change jar, I recently counted all the money I had in it, and I was pleasantly surprise, who knew that coins could add up to so much money, say, 50 dollars when you don't even see that many coins in the jar in a glance! I really think a change jar should be in every household, it may just come in handy one day :)

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the people that I know keep a change jar. Most of the adults anyway. We all have loose change, and rather tan throwing it away or leaving it lying around - like make people do do, we just toss it in the penny jar instead. You would be amazed at how many times the penny jar has saved us when we have had no money, or when we have needed a certain amount of change or money to make up a certain amount to buy something. It is a great thing to do. You won't be sorry when you have to fall back on it and can.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to, but not anymore these days. It's because whenever I get change now, I try as much as possible to just spend it before I get home. Not that I would spend just to get rid of it, but I try and use it for my purchases before I go home because I don't like carrying around coins all day. If I bring it home and collect it, then I'd have to worry about arranging it and exchanging it in the future, so I just try and get rid of it fast.

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I keep a change "tin". It's an old tin that was part of a gift package full of toiletries and the like. Rather than throw out this perfectly good tin, I thought that I would keep it alive with my coins. I have no expectation of filling it with coins, as it's a pretty big tin. But I also stick in special offer coupons that I've picked up along the way. It's worth giving them a home as well.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have a little change bowl in which I drop all my small change. I filled it up about a year ago and have not "cashed" it in yet out of laziness. Maybe I'll start a bigger jar and continue to fill it up, and use it up at the end of the year around Christmas time. Every little helps, but especially so at that time of the year :)

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I do.

However, I keep different cans for the different coin denominations in my country. What I do is that whenever I go somewhere, I use bills to pay for my expenses so that I'll receive bills and coins as change. I keep the coins and I use the bills to pay for my additional expenses. Then when I get home I put the coins on their respective jars and when they get full, I put them on huge aluminum cans that I kept from when a baby used to stay with us. I then open the cans every Christmas Eve and I exchange the coins for bills. I'll then put the money on my emergency fund, investment fund, or ongoing businesses. Every once in a while I use the money to treat my mom to a buffet that's really popular here in the Philippines. :)

9. RobertNick

RobertNickMember

Threads:
    I've had a change jar since I was 9. I used to fill it up with random coins from around the house and my pockets until it could hold no more and then I used to give it to my mom in exchange for trips to places I liked and even money. It's worth saving up, even with tiny amounts like spare change.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to keep a change jar in more prosperous times. I'm broke right now though and need every penny I can lay my hands on.

I would count and exchange my jar every year - usually at Christmas time - and was usually delighted with the amount I'd managed to save. It's a great way of saving a little extra without really noticing it.

11. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    When I was waitressing, I used to keep a 5-gallon water jug as a change jar. That held a LOT but I got a lot of change. It used to fund my vacations. Now our combined change jar is much smaller than that and takes a longer time to fill but we still have one.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Hello Kitty change tin that has Japanese phrases on it because it's from a Japanese Sanrio store.
    I used to put more change in it, but lately I just use my debit card for everything, so it takes longer to fill up.

13. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I used to use one of those big bottles of Arizona Iced Tea (the huge plastic bottles, not the cans) as my change container, but I threw it away last time I went to cash in the coins. I actually gave it to my brother to cash in and then he used it as his donation money from me to his fraternities fundraiser for the local animal shelter. Right now I'm just throwing all of my change into my medication box for the time being, but once I get back to school in like a week and a half I'll get another sort of container to start saving up yet again.

14. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah but not for any sort of "savings" per se, it's just a convenient place to drop all my loose change at the end of the day. Once every few years (I really avoid paying with cash when I can) I'll sort it, roll it and take it to the bank. I don't use an actual jar, just a random basket that was sitting around on day when I dropped some coins in to it. Since then, it has just been unofficially deemed the change basket.

15. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I have one but I don't use it mainly because as soon as I put change into it somebody sneaks into it, so I really just stopped trying to save it. I still have it sitting on my bed side table but for now I keep my change in a safe under my bed, it has a key so no one can open it but me.

16. HunkyDoire

HunkyDoireMember

Threads:
    YES! My husband and I keep a big change jar near the front door of our house, so it is right there to take contributions (and reminding us to NOT take unless in dire need!). We try to just put quarters and dimes in there, but ultimately pennies and nickels end up there as well, even the occasional dollar, lol. We also put some good luck herbs that are good for drawing money, like Thyme, Sandalwood, Frankincense and Chamomile are good too. Shaking the jar is also supposed to be good for luck and money.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    When I was much younger, I had a piggy bank (as I'm sure many of us had) and yes you're right, the change added up quite a lot! I would put every bit of my change in there. Currently, I also do no use cash enough to have extra change with me, but I do plan on changing my habits and limiting myself more to cash so that I don't have an urges to spend. ^.^' With that being said, I do hope that in the future I will be able to put aside my change in a jar and use it for trips and such. :)

18. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I have a good ol’ piggy bank, but I do like to save my loose change. 99% of it goes in there, and then it gets deposited in a savings account. It actually managed to pay for a car repair, so I agree, it adds up! It’s a habit I’ll never stop for this reason alone.

19. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have a plastic, four foot high or so, piggy bank. It's a little beat up, but I won't let go anywhere anytime soon! If you have ever looked around fingerhut you've probably seen it.

20. leovew

leovewNew Member

Threads:
    I have a change jar but I can't seem to fill it all the way up. If I do have change, I usually pay it at the grocery or store to keep my wallet and bag light. On rare occasions that I have a few change left on my wallet to bring home, I put it in my change jar but end up getting it back the next day just in case I fall short in cash(which is always), I have an 'emergency' petty cash fund. :)