Do You Keep a Change Jar?

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by nwitt • Apr 23, 2014.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I've gotten my parking meter full only one time. That would be with nothing but pennies. And don't think it was a hick process, either. I took it to coin star and it was 80 something dollars. I haven't been able to even make it 1/4 of the way since then lol

2. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I have a couple of piggy banks, but I consider them my zombie apocalypse fund. If a natural (or unnatural) disaster hits and the credit system goes down temporarily, I have access to a couple hundred dollars in change and small bills. I've also borrowed from it occasionally to pay the pizza delivery guy or whatever, but I always pay it back as soon as I can get to an ATM.

3. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    That's the smart thing to do!! I don't have the will it takes to not spend it. I don't even get 10$ saved up before I'm taking my change to coinstar

4. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    My boyfriend cashes his check every week instead of using a debit card so he acquires a good bit of change. I primarily use PayPal or my PayPal Debit card for my finances but I do get my child support in cash so I have some change from time to time. We have one of those huge pickle jars that we keep on the counter to collect our change. We got into a pickle *ha!* recently and had to get into the pickle jar and had about 70 bucks after only about 3 months. It's slowly building back up and we are hoping not to touch it again and add more to it so we can use it for Christmas shopping for our girls.

5. CoolCat

CoolCatMember

Threads:
    I love that! A pickle jar for when you're in a pickle! I think the pun would probably make me more likely to spend it, though.

I use credit for most of my day to day transactions, so I don't think $70 in cash passes through my hands in three months. Most of my piggy bank stash was from cash I'd gotten in birthday or Christmas cards when I was in college that I squirreled away to avoid spending it. (If I have cash in my wallet my brain treats it as already spent because it's not in my bank account, so I will throw it away on useless things.)

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A change jar is just a cooler term for piggy bank, right? I find the concept the same. Well yes, keeping a piggy bank or a coin bank was something I used to do but not anymore. I just keep random coins in my pockets and purses for paying transportation fees and buying snacks. I store everything in the bank and at PayPal. I do this so that I have money to turn to when my salary isn't enough. When I've organized everything in my room, it would be more feasible to keep a "change jar" or piggy bank.

7. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have a change bar. I never thought about it. Maybe I can start having one. It will be great to see how much I will have after few mos. It may not be a lot but I am sure I can buy something out of it. It is a good way of saving money without really affecting the monthly expenses. The few bucks you put will add up and who knows how much I can save.

8. CrowdedHighways

CrowdedHighwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I do not use a change jar, I mostly spend most of my loose change in vending machines. Some of those accept even 1 and 2 cents. I probably eat a lot more sweets/drink a lot more coffee than I should this way. If I have bigger coins, I will give them to homeless people.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't, since the coins will be spent easily anyway when I use them to pay for my fare, so they just get dumped in my coin purse until I get to spend them.

10. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    We just cashed ours in so I had to update. 1 month and we saved up $62.36!!! Just by putting the loose change from cash purchases in the jar. We've started using mostly cash to make our purchases and it's awesome!