Do You Keep Gifts You Don't Like?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Denis Hard • Mar 31, 2015.

1. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I usually keep the gifts I receive even if they are not to my taste. I think that they are a nice reminder that someone bought it especially for you and that you matter to them, however if I can't find I can't really use it and know someone who might like it, I will re-gift it.
    I don't want to keep something and not use it when someone else could find it useful.

2. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I remember giving somebody a towel as a and wrap it without a box. The motive is pretty decent and while it is not the best gift ever, it still has a good value. Fast forward to about half a year later when I visit that person's house, I found that the gift is still kept but unwrapped. I did not confront my friend about that but I felt a little bit shocked about the treatment of my gifts. Sure, the gift was kept but it did not really make me happy.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I receive gifts I don't like, I donate them to Goodwill.
    I can't keep something that is cluttering my space out of obligation or duty.
    If I don't like it, someone else will and they can have it. Plus Goodwill is a charity so my items do more good there than they would in the closet.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I received a gift I didn't like (I always ask for gift cards) but I always drop them at the charity shop when I do so someone else can get the benefit. I have considered putting things on eBay in the past but it always seemed a little bit sneaky.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I can’t recall the last time I got a gift I disliked, either. My friends know me super well. Not to mention, gift cards are one of the greatest inventions. But when it has happened, I've either donated the gift or re-gifted it. If someone doesn’t like something I’ve given them, I’d prefer they did the same. It wouldn’t please me to know they kept something that someone else might enjoy more.

6. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, yeah, I keep stuff. Forever. I don't want it. I don't like it. Useless stuff; ugly stuff; kitschy stuff. I'd rather people don't bother giving me stuff sometimes when they just give me stupid stuff that shows they know nothing of my tastes and personality... Really, I'd rather that they would buy me a meal or a theater ticket.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have kept a gift or two that I was not that keen on for awhile before I moved it on. When I purchase a gift I try to give items I would like to receive or just give a gift card if I think the person may not appreciate the gift.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, for me. If I feel like the person put some thought into the gift, but it just isn't my thing, I'll keep it. I'll try to use it, wear it, or display it, whatever the case may be, at least for a while (especially if they are around often and will see it or notice it not being there). If I feel like they grabbed something at the gas station on the way over, just so they didn't show up empty handed then yeah, I'm not going to be too concerned. I'm usually just thankful that someone thought to get a gift for me, so I'm usually happy with whatever.

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I try to avoid purchasing a gift that someone doesn't like. I usually ask straight up what they would want and purchase it like that. I usually give them a gift receipt as well so that they would be able to exchange it for something that they would like more if they didn't like the gift. When I receive a gift that I don't like, I usually give it away or donate it, I don't see the point in keeping something that I will never use myself, it'll just take up room.

10. Missfireflower

MissfireflowerNew Member

Threads:
    If it's something that I know I won't use and it's store bought I regift. I know regifting is looked down upon by some people, but I hate throwing something away that's perfectly good. I do this a lot for things from Bath and Body Works. I've TOLD family I don't use it and they get it anyway :/ On the plus side, I have friends that do so they always get a nice birthday present they enjoy!

If it's homemade then I use it at least once before throwing it out. I feel like I owe someone at least that of they spent time making me a gift from the heart.