Do you keep records of everything you buy online?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • May 6, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I came across a post on a forum where the poster was complaining for having been double-charged for something he bought online. The mistake could have been his since something like refreshing a page on a browser could get you making a double payment or a script on the site auto-refreshed the page causing him to pay twice for that one product.

Anyway, this just indicates that sometimes, even if it's not something like that, an unscrupulous seller or company you've bought a service from, could charge you for something else if they have your credit card number. That's why it's important to keep a record of all payments you make online so that should the need arise, you'll have something to use when lodging a complaint.

Currently since I buy stuff online maybe once a week I make my payments ONLY through Paypal. Because of that I've never seen if there was need to keep records but after reading that story, I think I'll start being more careful.

What of you guys? Do you keep records?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I don't really. I do notice double charges fairly easily because I check my bank account frequently.

I have had this situation happen twice in the last year, though: I ordered something, it never arrived, and I had forgotten I had even ordered it in the first place! Fortunately, I remembered a couple months later when I'd get a newsletter from that site or something or realized that I needed to order such-n-such item, only to realize I already had weeks before..... So in THAT case, I'm really bad about it sometimes.

3. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    In the grander scheme of things it might be a really good idea to keep a record of everything that you buy online. However, I have to admit that it has never been something that I've done a really good job of. However, I do watch all of my accounts like a hawk and I notice strange charges within 24 hours at the most.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't keep track of everything I actually buy online, but I definitely keep close track of my bank account and credit card bills with online banking. That means if I'm ever overcharged I will be able to see it within the next couple of days of the charge, which actually has happened before with me. However, in general, your bank notices that you were charged twice if the value is exactly the same and asks the establishment for confirmation of payment. So obviously you have to keep close track so that does not happen, but in general the bank does do something about it before you even knowtit. .. at least that's my experience.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't make any records of my online purchases since I tend to leave it all up to my Paypal history the task of recording all my online purchases. So far, I have never been double charged for something or have experienced any anomalous transactions.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't make that many online purchases that I feel the need to keep track, and I only use either Paypal or Cash On Delivery as payment methods, so I am a lot less worried with minor discrepancies. Also, most online shopping stores I shop in already keep track of my purchases for me, so I don't feel the need to make a separate list of my own.

7. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Not really i know its like a inappropriate thing but its a bad habit that i am through.Most of the times what we bother is getting the thing what we have ordered or need and that is the way how it can be taken goodly keeping record is such a good thing to do and can help a lot with managing budget.

8. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I use prepaid mastercards to shop. Double payments are not possible for me. I would keep records if there was a possibility of it happening to me.

It cant be too common, I dont know anyone it has happened to.

9. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Using my PayPal. Whenever I purchase stuff online I just check on my PayPal's history and then go from there. I would just copy and paste the details in a Word file for record keeping.

10. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    This had never happened to me but every time I purchased something online, I will double check my statement every few days just in case if something went wrong. Since my card is linked to my PayPal account, I prefer to be careful all the time.

11. Collin1000

Collin1000Member

Threads:
    I don't go out of my way to MAKE records.... but Amazon/Ebay's order history is typically "record" enough for me to keep tabs on things I ordered that may not have been delivered, and my online bank statements are records of what I've paid for. I'm not printing things out to make my own records, as I find the records provided online are more than sufficient.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I carefully keep track of everything that I purchase online. Every time I go through a virtual check-out I check at least three times that everything is right, and that I haven't made some silly mistake that could cost me a lot of money or cause some other trouble. I once made a big order and my computer just crashed at that moment. When I got back online I saw that the order had gone through three times. I had a lot of difficulty fixing the problem as it happened with a pre-paid visa card. So, yes, when I buy something online, I watch every step carefully and keep a record of everything.

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Well not intentionally, but I use PayPal to pay for most of my items and that keeps a nice basic record of what I have bought online for me. In fact I was double charged recently for a membership to my local football club, I might not have even spotted it if it was no for me checking my PayPal history to see if someone had paid me. I'm not sure how else you would do it without PayPal, maybe some kind of Excel chart with the reference numbers of the purchases?