Do You Keep Up With The Trend?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by GenevB • Apr 27, 2016.

1. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    We all know the speed the trend is advancing with, today you buy a new laptop which seems to be the ultimate option, and after only a few days, there comes another one, with larger memory, higher processor and better video card. My question is whether you're one of those people who need to have that just because it is newer, or you wait until the piece of equipment you already bought gets old enough or broken. I personally do not have the necessary financial status to change them weekly, so I'd go with the second variant.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am using a laptop for work and it's still okay despite the almost 3 years of service. Although the life of computer is only 2 years - that is in terms of being current - we are looking at 5 years for the service of a computer to make it worth the cost. We bought our home desktop in September 2009 and it's still working until now so that means we already got our money's worth.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy the newest model that hits the market. The only people who'd have a good reason to be always upgrading are gamers because they always need need the fastest machine. For others who use their computers for browsing, word processing, etc there's no need to buy a faster computer when the one you have works just fine.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even if I had the money I'd just keep my laptop till it died on me then shop around for another that I like. Right now I'm borrowing a 2gopc from the library. I use the library internet computers only and wish I could afford my own laptop and internet services.

5. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Nope! I would if I had a lot of extra spending cash, but most of that is going towards things that are smarter for the long term at the moment. Once I have a bit more to work with on top of business expenses, youbetcha :)

6. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, never have and never will. I'm that kind of person who waits it out until my gadget dies on me. I'm still using the iPhone 5S and I think they're about to release an iPhone 7 already. We bought a new laptop just last year but only because all our laptops are already dead. If only the motherboards weren't hit, I would have let the laptops be repaired. But repairing the motherboards or replacing it, the cost is just too high. It's just more practical to buy a new laptop back then.

Anyway, I guess that even if I have the money, which I don't, I won't still be buying something because it's the trend or it's newer. I'm pretty much a practical person and I save as much as I can. I do know quite a few people who just cannot relax if they don't have the latest gadgets. I don't know why... Maybe it's because they have the money for it. But not for me, I don't think I can waste money on things that depreciate so easily.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No way! I think it's just silly and let's face it, you need truck loads of money to keep abreast of all the trends. I mean, I'm not even into gadgets to that level. As long as whatever device I'm using functions and functions well, I just don't see the point. But even if I were that way inclined, I wouldn't throw my money away like that! I couldn't camp out all night lying in wait for the doors to open so as to get my hands on a new device. Trends change faster than you can blink, so it would become a nightmare trying to stay on top of them LOL Plus, give it a few months and the prices always come down. I'm not a flashy person who wants to brag to everyone about my latest electronic toy!

8. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not exactly the type who stands in a long line outside the Apple stores to get their latest gadget. I'm a fan of Apple, there's no question they make the best high quality and classy products but I'd rather wait a few months from the date of its release before i purchase, that way the price might have went down or there's discounts to avail.

9. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    No - absolutely no way would I even consider trying to keep up with all the latest devices - as apart from the fact I too would agree - that with technology advancing at the speed it is these days - it would be virtually impossible to do and more importantly be extremely costly too - particularly bearing in mind that its quite likely that the majority of gadgets and devices - will very probably - already have been upgraded long before you've even got your purchase home from the store.

I honestly couldn't ever justify the unnecessary expense of upgrading or replacing something - that is working perfectly and doing everything and more - that I require it to do - as to me - its generally way more cost effective to wait until something actually does need to be replaced - before doing so.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy last year's model because I do not want to pay more than I have to for a laptop. My phone is also the first even Droid out on the market and it still works well and has Wifi. I do not like my life to be complicated by pricey new gadgets. I am happy with the old ones.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't, but it would if I could, to be completely honest. I think it would be great if I could spend more to buy the newest and latest if I could. Still, I think even if I did have the funds I would still try and be as smart as I can with my purchases. I would probably be more willing to buy new items but at the same time I don't think I would handle it like most other people who would buy something just because it was new. I'd probably try and be more in the middle and find realistic justifications on why the item would be worth it and if not I'd be willing to pass it up.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, as long as the device is still working and it doesn't break down ever so often then I will not replace it, although that goes for computers. For smartphones, if I have the money then I will upgrade my phone, why not, right?