Do You Keep Your Gadgets On Charge All The Time?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Theo • Jul 28, 2015.

1. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    No, and I suggest you never do that either. It only decreases the overall life and performance span of your gadgets sooner than they are made to, and that wouldn't really content you much, isn't it? :)

When they are at full power, I disconnect them and move on with my life, haha. :)

2. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    I charge them when they're below 45% if I can, then I'll use it while on charge. I use my phone a lot so it's quite common that my battery runs out. Not too much of an inconvenience for me as I'm a student so am at home / college (which has charging bays) a lot.

3. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I used to leave my laptop in charge all of the time. Now, its battery life is extremely weak. If you put your mouse on the indicator for a minute, you can literally watch it drop by 5%.
    Now, I pull out the charger every time I'm not using my device. Messing up the battery life isn't worth the convenience of not having to unplug and replug it in.

4. paultrump1

paultrump1Member

Threads:
    Never do that. because the li-ion will cut off once get charged full..And all-time-long charging may cause accident sometimes.

5. Noril Salvo

Noril SalvoNew Member

Threads:
    I think it is good sense to just charge your phone until it has enough battery life to serve its purpose. I am guilty about over-charging my phones too and learned my lesson the hard way buy frying my phone's circuits when I accidentally left it charging to go to bed. When I woke up, I noticed the smell of burned plastic and it was too late for my phone. I was still lucky that it did not start a fire. Lesson learned indeed. So now, I try not to charge my phone for too long.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My smart phone is my direct link to the office since I get calls even when I am off duty - weekdays or even weekends. It would be a disaster if my phone would be on low batt because I might miss an important call. So I was really glad when the powerbank came about because I now can charge my phone even when I am not at home particularly when I am traveling by car.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to until I saw the fires lol. As everyone else said, not a good idea. Mine gets hot during a charge, I couldn't imagine if I just left it like that. I don't even want to charge mine at all anymore because of that lol.. I can't imagine it's normal to get so heated while plugged in. I keep mine beside me while I do it now.

8. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I didn't know that could happen. I wonder if it's the same with phone chargers cause I usually keep my phone charged at all times just in case and sometimes it would stay on he charger after being charged 100 percent and now both my phone chargers will not charge my phone and do not work anymore. I usually have my charger on my computer when i'm on it so It doesn't die but I do disconnect it a lot I never leave it in too long. But I will make sure to keep it unplugged because it's a hassle finding a laptop charger in my town.

9. seatones

seatonesNew Member

Threads:
    Leaving things plugged in to the chargers for longer than needed is never a good idea. For example, I have a Sony VX2100 video camera that has chargeable batteries. I started to realize that the batteries would hold less of a charge over time, so I did a little research and found that leaving the charger plugged in for longer than it took the batteries to fully charge was burning them out. Sometimes I would even leave the charger plugged in over night which definitely was damaging the batteries a good amount. Long story short, after seeing this happen I realized that this can't be great for any electronics.

10. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I always unplug my devices after they have charged. I had a friend that left her phone charging all night and when she woke up it had blew up, we were lucky there wasn't a fire. Very scary...:eek::(

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I sometimes do charged my laptop overnight especially when I'm downloading something, so i have to keep it on. So far, i haven't had any issues with it. My iphone too, when I'm at home, I use my iphone while it's charging so that when i go out, it's still 100%. Pretty sure most of us do that, at least for our smartphones. lol

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with constantly have your electronics charging is that it will kill your electronic. It is better to let your phone die and then proceed to full charge. When you just constantly charge while using. It can kill the battery a lot faster than the more traditional way.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do for some and I don't for others. The only time I unplug is when I know the charger isn't an official one. I have heard of stories about chargers causing fires and I've even heard of someone getting electrocuted due to a faulty charger that electrified the person while they slept. I think it is just best to unplug everything anyway since keeping them plugged in just adds a bit more expense to your electric bill, which might not seem like a lot but if you accumulate it in terms of years then it's a different story.

14. karamara

karamaraMember

Threads:
    I used to always charge my phone by the hour but now that I pretty much don't use a phone anymore, I tend to just leave it for days without even charging it. As for my laptop, I only charge it if needs to. I never plug it in unless I'm doing something that needs a lot of power. Besides, leaving your laptop plugged in makes it much hotter and it kinda messes up your battery especially when it's not in a battery life extension mode.

15. Harlek

HarlekMember

Threads:
    I think you can get away with plugging in your phone overnight since most phones have the technology to not overcharge. But for the most part I just unplug everything if I'm not using them, makes it safer for you and your device since you don't end up with a risk of overload and all that other stuff.

16. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I kept my smartphone on charge most the time because I don't charge at all during the day and then when I go to bed it's totally depleted of battery. And sometimes I like to listen to sermons while I lay in bed and I can't do that if I don't have charge. My laptop on the other hand can hold a charge for a long time but only if the brightness is down quite a bit. I like having it all the way up because then I can see much better, but it drains the battery so much. It's really inconvenient. So I try to charge it overnight and use it in the morning. The battery on your smartphone can overheat too if you leave it charging for too long and I've heard stories of them starting on fire.:eek:

17. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Noooooo. My wife does this constantly, and I go around kicking chargers out of devices before I go to sleep at night. I hate the thought of an active current running into an electronic device, especially if it's right beside the bed. Which they often are. At the very least I don't want the chargers to burn out, and at the worst... well, there's such a thing as electrical fires...

At any rate, I only charge when something is absolutely dead, or if I'm in the middle of using it. My laptop is plugged in as I type, for example, 'cause that way I can keep an eye on it. I'd never leave it charging when I was asleep or out of the house. Too much paranoia in this one.