Do You Know About Secret Menu Items?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jasmine2015 • Dec 2, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard that some restaurants have secret menu items. I guess it is supposed to make you feel exclusive and special because you know about something most people don't. Have you heard of such a practice? Maybe if I was to take a poke around the Internet someone should have a blog post on this. But I guess if you see something that someone has and you know it's off the menu you can say " I'll have what he's having".

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:No I have not heard of anything like a secret menu. A secret menu would not be too profitable if you ask me. You'd order what you can see on the menu and the more you see the more you might order, so secret menu where food dish is hidden wouldn't be too profitable.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have come across this nice but the menu items weren't so much secret but it's just that one of our family members knew the owners so they would constantly get special treatment whenever we came by, and with that came some additional dishes that weren't in the menu but they weren't big or extravagant dishes, just some special side dishes that they thought we might like. That was a long time ago though and now we have different restaurants we frequent and sometimes we still do get a bit of special treatment but none that would prepare a non menu dish although I don't think I'd really want them to anyway since usually the menu items are already good enough.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of secret menu items which aren't on the menu not because they are supposed to be "secret"

They start out as customers desire to have certain ingredients removed or added to something they are buying [you'll be paying extra for this] if a number of customers also want the same thing then whatever it is they want can be added to menu but won't be listed and because of that only those who know if its existence will order it.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is news to me; I have never heard of secret menus, or experienced them in any way that I am aware of. The only custom meals that I am aware of are when people ask for special meals ahead of time when they make their restaurant reservations. People who have a lot of money perhaps are able to request dishes that are a little more out of the way and extravagant though.

6. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think of them as 'secret menu items' so much as 'perks of being a regular.' Like for instance, at The Hideaway (a bar I used to frequent) a 'stein' off the tap costs less than two '8-ounce' bottles (either-one is my 'limit'---the amount I need to 'catch a buzz').

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I have heard of the secret menus. I never tried to order anything off of them though. Some of them looked pretty elaborate and I wonder what they would charge for the drinks at Starbucks for instance. Maybe the next time I go out to a restaurant I like I will look to see they have a "secret" menu. It would make me feel like a spy or someone...a mysterious character breezing in with a cape...and a foreign accent. I would like zeee...secret drink.. said with a hush and a whispered accent....

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there is a restaurant near my house that has secret items on the menu, and I am happy to say that I do indeed know about a lot of these, which is great. I always feel as though I know something really good if I am able to go in and order something that nobody else knows about.