Do you leaf through magazines to get fashion ideas?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by H.C. Heartland • Dec 3, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    There is an upcoming event and I want to revamp my look. I started looking through one of my friends fashion magazines and tried to take note of the color trends out right now and some of the hair and clothing styles. I know fashion magazines often offer an exaggerated style that might not fit where I'm going, but if I soften the look a bit, it might make me look more 'in the now'. What do you think? Do you ever use fashion magazines to help you get ideas? If not, what do you use?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely leaf through magazines to get fashion ideas. When I do watch the Yahoo Celebrity segment or the DailyMail entertainment section, I try to get ideas here and there. There's no fixed source. Whatever I think is lovely, decent or interesting, I am willing to incorporate it to my own style.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't leaf through fashion magazines to get an idea on what to wear, but I do pay attention and take note of what the stars are wearing when they guest on tv shows, and see if they can be worn casually in public.

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have at times. I don't get many fashion magazines, and often I don't care for the clothes in them, but I do like to look at catalogs. I have seen lots of neat things in them. I have never bought clothes that way, but occasionally when I have been in the mood to sew something I have used those for inspiration. Usually I change things though and make it my own version of the style.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to say although I do buy fashion magazines, I don't always follow current trends. I also don't always like the stuff that's supposed to be "very in". I look to magazines mainly as a loose guide, but don't always follow it blindly. I much prefer understated elegance that i know I'll be able to wear season after season. I often find clothes in magazines very unappealing, to be honest. Sometimes I have to laugh as some of these trendy clothes are way too retro for my tastes, very grandma type clothes!

6. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    All the time! Not necessarily with the express intention of copying the designs, but really to see what people are generally wearing and getting some ideas. Unless you get a sense of what's hot and what's not you're likely to rely on your own instinct. And that's not always good. Would I buy some of these magazines? No.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course, and not just that. I also check out magazines for some really cool new stuff. Those that I wouldn't know otherwise if it were not for the pages of magazines that I've gone through. There's just so many things that I learn from magazines even if we have the internet now. The information that magazines offer are readily available for consumption, unlike with the internet, it'd have to eat up some time, before one can get to what he's really looking for.

8. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I love Sundance for fashion ideas, it is actually a catalog and I love the look they put together but I cannot afford $78 t-shirts. I also look at magazines for decorating ideas, what i do is cut out something I like then I will keep my eyes peeled for something that is very close to what it is I like. You can pull together a room that has the same feel as one in a decorating magazine for a fraction of the price, Likewise with clothes, once you see how it is accessorized and what works with what it is easier to put together a similar style. Occasionally i will splurge for just the perfect piece but that is far from often.