Do You Learn New Languages?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 16, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen tourists who can't speak English floundering around trying to express themselves and failing to. It's rather shameful to be honest. The decent thing to do when traveling abroad is learn a few words that could help you with basic communication.

And with so many free language learning sites and videos on youtube there's no excuse for not learning a language because you don't have to spend any money.

What do you think? Should it be mandatory that anyone visiting a country where their language is not spoken should learn that language first?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think "mandatory" sounds a little harsh. If I travelled in Saudi Arabia and was expected to know how to converse in Arab, I'd find it a bit off-putting. :) I think that it's common sense for anyone who is going overseas to at least be able to communicate a few words in English, as it's probably the most practical language to know. If that's impossible for you, then at least take a dictionary with common words and phrases along, or better even, install a translation app on your phone. Personally, I use it all the time.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I think it would help but it is the individual's personal choice. I would never travel to a place and not be able to speak the most basic portions of the language. I remember coming across someone who was talking Spanish to me. I can't speak Spanish but thankfully some high school students nearby was able to help the man. Perhaps it should be mandatory so the person will be able to navigate with some sense of ease in a country they are visiting.

4. Denis Hard

Threads:
    I'd hate to be the guy going around the street asking everyone, "do you speak English? Hey, do yo? What about you?"

If you can't learn the language then it's better to travel to places where many people speak your language as a second language. I think people are just too lazy or outright disrespectful of other people's languages. It doesn't take more than a week to learn a few basic words that you'd find useful when traveling.

5. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    I think if you are going to a place where people don't speak English, you can do a little homework before going there. Learn some basic words of the language that people speak in the country where you are going. This will help you travel comfortably.

6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I think when traveling abroad it's important to know a few words and phrases to conversate with the locals just to know your way around. Yet in many countries native people do speak English. I've been wanting to learn a new language but have been putting it off, though eventually I think I'll use the Rosetta stone package. Have been hearing positive things about how quick people have been learning a new language.

7. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    Of to all the places I have ever been, I mostly got by without knowing too much of the foreign language. When I was in Amsterdam, everyone within the city core spoke perfect English. I don't learn new languages whenb I travel and I raleize that I probably annoy people when I ask "DO you speak English?" I mainly travel for fun but would learn a new language for business trips

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I think it might help to learn a few common phrases of the language you are going to visit. I don't think it should be mandatory though. That would be pretty harsh and hard to enforce. However, there are some basic phrases everyone could learn. Phrases like- please, thank you, Where is a restroom?, etc. Phrases that would show manners and phrases that would ask people for help finding things. They do have some great phrase books that anyone can purchase in various languages. I would recommend picking up one of those books to anyone traveling to a foreign country.

9. Denis Hard

Threads:
    A phrase book would only be helpful if you've made an effort to at least learn the basics so you can at least do a good job trying to pronounce the words right. If your pronunciation is atrocious, the people you speak may not be able to help you.

Then there's another problem. What of the languages that use different scripts in writing? That goes for languages like Chinese. For such languages I don't think going on your tour of interior China with a Chinese phrase book would be that helpful.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's entirely necessary especially if the person is just visiting as a tourist, but if you plan on living there for some time then I think it's only proper to learn at least the basics. I think if you are just there for a while and will only be buying a few items and looking around then you could probably get by with just speaking English and hoping some of the people there do too.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I always learn a few words for basic communication when traveling to a non English speaking country. There are plenty of free resources out there like duolingo.com that help with the basics. But this is just me and I don't think that learning a language should be mandatory. Let's not forget that when one travels like a tourist and stays at hotels or motels the personnel there most likely knows the English language so communication is not an issue.

12. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Learning the basic will not hurt you but will save you in times of trouble, specially if you are new to a certain country. Also, it is an added skill and may impress your future boss if they knew you are capable of speaking in many language/s.

It also opens so many great opportunities for you.