Do You Like Carpet?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hayrake • Feb 19, 2015.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I ag
    I agree... but then in other areas, I'm completely meh about them. Bacteria can be a very good thing, but we don't get to pick and choose, so I guess it's good I have this balance. Wet bacteria, bad.. dry bacteria, goooood haha. Hopefully that doesn't kill me some day.

I definitely think you should find her and bring her on board.. if I don't get an audience member out of it, maybe you'll end up with a sweet reunion ;)

2. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Aaaiiieee! I'm on the side of dreek and josie here. I live on a farm and no way would I want to lay down on with any of my skin touching the carpet. I can't help but think of the things that come in on my feet, even when my shoes look clean.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not keen on carpets at all. Whilst they do warm up a room significantly, I find that hard floors are much easier to clean and maintain.

I remember moving into my first apartment with hard floors - sweeping up was a revelation. I had no idea how much dirt and dust actually collected up on the floor and this put me off having another carpet again.

4. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like them because vacuuming is an exhausting chore compared to mopping or sweeping the floor for me. When I used to live in my parents' home, I always like to help with the chore of sweeping and mopping the floor as I did not take a lot of time and I can see that my work yielded results because the floor was shiny. When I vacuum my carpets of my current apartment, not only it take me some time but also I feel that I waste my time because the carpets still look dirty afterwards. I think in the future, I would like to live in a home without carpets.

5. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    I'm forced to live in a house right now that can be the star of the carpet horror movie. No joke. I never never never walk without shoes on in this house because of the carpet.
    My dream house will have the kind of floor that has in-floor heating. Throw rugs are so much better for the those few spots that need 'em.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do like throw rugs. They add color and interest. Also, they can be tossed easily when they wear out. And in-floor heating is something I hadn't even thought of. It's also something I'll never be able to afford; but it sounds wonderful. I hope you get your dream house one day.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess you could call me shallow, but the presentation of the germs plays a major factor in how well - or not - I can tolerate it? I mean, as human beings, most of us engage in sex and really enjoy it, at times, and we know full well that bacteria is involved, even before we reach that point of blind lust - where we'll put anything in our mouths lmao!! But yeah.. what was my point again ;)

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how nice the carpet looks. Some of the thick, plush carpet looks really nice and feels soft on your feet. But yes, it wears out so fast. The apartment building where I live has been replacing the carpet with wood laminate as the tenants move out. Meanwhile, I still have carpeting that looks pretty bad in certain spots. The laminate looks a lot nicer, so yes, I have floor envy.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually think the a carpet looks good on a home or anywhere it is placed on, but they collect too much dirt, and I don't want to add cleaning carpets to add to my list of chores. So I think I don't want to have any of them ever.

10. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I don't care for carpets at all. I suffer from asthma and as far as I'm concerned, carpets of any kind are just big dust collectors. When I lived in an apartment which was carpeted (I had no choice), I used to vacuum everyday because I do like to have my windows open a bit regardless of the season. Even with the constant vacuuming , the carpets still held dust. The only room that has a throw rug is at the back door for wet shoes and the rest is ceramic or hardwood. I do agree, that carpeting does make a room more cozy but its just not for me.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really think about floors. There's a benefit to both hard floor and a carpet so it's hard to say that I don't like carpet. I do get irritated about carpets lately though because once your dog craps on it it's there no matter how much you wipe it and it smells so bad! All the deodorizer in the world won't help that. Hopefully the shampooer we got works.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't normally think of floors, either. Unless I see one that is especially nice or especially raunchy. The doggie surprises are one of my pet peeves, though, on carpet. Well, on anything; but, like you say, it's especially hard to clean the carpet. And, after, you always seem to know where "it" was.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not like carpet. The seem to be collecting all kinds of dust and I would definitely never like to use it and keep cleaning it again and again. I hate such things which needs to be cleaned. I definitely do not like the softness of the carpet.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like carpeting either. It holds dust and mold spores and contributes to all manner of respiratory problems. I'd rather put on socks when my feet are cold than deal with wall to wall carpeting, ugh!

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up with wood floods, and was used to wearing socks and shoes or slippers around, to keep my feet warm. I've had carpet off and on over the years, but definitely prefer wood, slate, or tile, although the last place I lived had crazy slippery ceramic tile, and I was constantly slipping and falling whenever it would get wet. With pets, that was pretty frequently, so I'm glad I no longer have to deal with the tile. My landlady here put in the cheapest carpet she could. There is no pile, and downstairs, there is no padding under it, so it's like walking on concrete. The first time I vacuumed, it hooked into the fibers, and there are pulls all over it, so the place looks nasty, no matter how much I clean. If I could change the flooring here, I definitely would, but I will probably end up moving anyway, and she'll just put in another batch of crappy, cheap carpet for her next tenants.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Carpet is nice but I prefer hardwood floors on my floors. It is easier to keep hardwood floors cleaner than carpet. Carpet can hold onto the dust and odors in the house. If you have pets in the house the odors do not come out and could go all the way down to the subfloor which does not get clean and the odor and germs are still in the carpet.

17. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I love carpet. I know it sucks when you spill something it is harder to clean but I had carpet on the floors and then we switched to hard wood and it makes such a difference. I find hard wood is colder, harder on the feet and dirtier. I can walk around on carpet and be so comfortable but on the hard wood my feet are always black after and I clean my floors very often!