Do you like Cliff Hangers in Movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by iRichard • Aug 28, 2012.

1. iRichard

iRichardMember

Threads:
    I hate movies that have cliff hangers such as Batman Return, The Hungers Games, and Terminator Salvation. Also, do you like cliff hangers?:cool:

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No!!

I hated them in books, too. Finish the story, gah!! I understand why they're there and sometimes they're pretty good ones, but I'd rather feel like a movie or book is actually finished usually.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of cliffhangers because by the time the next movie comes out you forget what happened. Then you'll end up watching the previous movie to remind yourself what's going on. The movie Saw was like that where everything ties into the other movies. I always had to remind myself what's going on in the movie. I think movie directors are using this as a way to insure the next movie will be a hit. I guess it's working because people have been using the cliffhanger for quite some time now, and they've gotten great results.

4. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    If it's a cliffhanger that is excellently done and leaves a great way for a new movie or book to take off. Then I'm ok with it. As long as the new one takes off where the original left off. If it becomes two completely different movies or books then I don't think it's worth it.

5. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Sometimes Cliffhangers work, but usually no. The last cool Semi-cliffhanger I watched was Doomsday. For everything else there's Mastercard, lol.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Depends. Is the movie going to get another installment for sure? Was it already shot, or greenlighted? Then I don't mind. But otherwise.. I hate when people tried to make a series out of something back in the 90s and didn't finish the story.. only to never get backing for another movie. That goes for everything else; books, games, TV series.. It's just really sad to see a great story unresolved because someone wanted to milk more money out of it.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No! I don't like cliffhangers period. I don't like them in movies, books or television shows. If sometime is good then I will read or watch the next installment. I don't need a gimmick. Good grief!

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Agreed. I remember when I used to take my brother to the Saturday cinema matinees back in the 1950s. There were adventure serials which ran for weeks and weeks, and even as a 7 year old, I noticed how the next instalment always had discrepancies from the previous week. They wouldn't get away with it these days.

Generally, though, I prefer my movies to wrap up the tale. I'm happy for a drama serial to end on a cliffhanger, but movies - like books - should be self-contained units. It's okay to refer to previous movies in later ones, and have flashbacks to bring the story up to date, but each unit should be a unit, not an episode.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not crazy about them, as Sandra mentioned, a movie should have some completion on its own. I remember when Saw first came out though, I had read back then that this was just the start of a series of films they planned on making. So I went into it knowing they weren't going to tie everything up at the end.

I got a little peeved at the opening scene of Scream, where Ghostface tricks Drew Berrymore's character with the "Who was the killer in Friday The 13th" question, because her answer *was* correct. Yes the mother was the main killer in the movie, but Jason does jump out of the water at the very end and get that girl in the boat. If you look at it in the context of the movie itself, it's implied that he killed her. He wasn't the only killer, but he was a killer, and so was the character who chopped off his mother head.

10. tknight123

tknight123New Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I don't like extreme cliff hangers. However, proper cliff hangers are ok. Like most Hunger Games cliffhangers were alright, however some are just way too over the top.

11. Cyclone3616

Cyclone3616Member

Threads:
    I hate cliffhangers because I can't live with myself until I see the next part of the movie or book. I can see why people would put them into their motion pictures or books, to continue their series and make sure that people keep coming for the next part of the story. The thing is though, cliffhangers only work if the novel or movie is quality and makes you want to read or watch the next part of the story. Cliffhangers tend to work for me, but that doesn't mean that I like them.

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I love Cliffhangers, for example, like Dallas and who shot JR. That was so exciting and no one could guess who shot JR. I couldn't wait for the next season or episode to air and It make you anxious and patiently wait to see what was going to happen next. It's sort of like a Soap Opera but not exactly and that makes it more exciting and interesting and you don't want to miss a minute of the show.

13. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I only like it if there for sure going to make a continuation to it if not then im not interested in watching it

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't like cliffhangers, because I don't want to wonder what will happen to the story, but if there's already a planned sequel for it then it's ok. But sometimes, the sequel sucks, just like in the case of the Scream movies. That is one example of bad sequels made just to make more money.

15. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I get really excited over cliffhangers specially when I've read the book. :) But if the movie's not good then there's a cliffhanger, I get a little irritated since it sucked. :)) But I don't really like wondering what will happen and having to wait again for the next one. :))

16. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on the cliffhanger. For books, I wholeheartedly oppose it, but for films, it's the way it is done. If it's executed perfectly then it could be a great segway for another picture or letting your mind make up the ending. Most of the time, since Hollywood has no talent, it fails on epic levels.

17. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I hate cliff hanger movies as well it just leaves lots of from to form a number of alternate endings. I prefer the movie to be completed. However, if there is a cliffhanger, because the movie will be continued in additional parts then that's fine.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like my movies or books to have a beginning and a ending. If the story does not end as a way to get me to come back and spend more money I just may not return ever because I know the next one will end the same way.

19. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    I absolutely HATE cliffhangers. The reason being, I have a life. There are times when I can't or don't want to make time for yet another movie. I go to the movie on time that I've set aside and should at that point get the full movie experience. A cliffhanger means I have to go to the movies once again to get the results of the same old movie.

I wouldn't mind a cliffhanger if they did it in 2 parts of the same movie. For instance do all the drama leading up to the cliffhanger, than stop the movie for an intermission. When the patrons return to the movie after a refreshment and potty break, continue the movie with the ending. This would sell a lot of tickets and get me to the movies probably more often.

20. Asuna

AsunaActive Member

Threads:
    I hate cliffhangers. Movies should have closed endings but I suppose the producers are hoping for sequels, prequels etc.