Do You Like Gas, Electric Or Battery Operated Tools?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Feb 25, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not looking forward to using my gas powered tools this year. The strength in my arms is not as strong as it use to be and it takes me longer to get them started. I've been holding on to my gas tools with hopes of affording electric or battery operated ones for ease of use. Of course I could hire someone to do it for me but that would be my last recourse.

What do you find are the best positives or negatives for either electric or battery operated tools?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Electric always felt safer to me but I am currently using Gas. I like Gas because I am in an area where the power cuts alot and so even when the power cuts, I can still cook. But if you have electrical in an area where the power cuts then you can't use anything; microwave, hot plate, or stove. So Gas is the way to go for me!

3. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what activity I'm doing and where I will use the tool. I like using battery operated tools for smaller things like screwdrivers, hand-drills, and even hand-saws. Electrical tools are best overall in and around the house or building that provides an electrical outlet, and are easily manageable. Gas operated tools I use only if I need to, when I'm far from electrical outlets, or I need some heavy duty machinery to get the work done. All these powered types of tools come handy in their own ways, so it's really up to the man or woman to decided which will get the work done or not.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like your thoughts. I could just keep my gas powered tools as well as invest in battery operated ones. There are some projects that would need that extra umphf and even though I do have the longest extension cord you can imagine not having to deal with that is even better. Thanks for the post.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer electric operated tools on any given day. They are the best and I would definitely not like to use anything else. It is best if you know how to take care of the equipment. Most of the equipment require lots of care and attention. But they run very smoothly and are organised.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer to use an electric rice cooker, but for cooking fried stuff, gas is the best, because our neighbor uses an electric stove to cook their food, and their electric bill is quite expensive. I don't like to buy batteries continuously, so I don't like buying battery operated tools, unless I already have a rechargeable battery.

7. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I'm with you! I'm getting old and I find heavy mowers difficult to start and handle. In recent years, I've been on a campaign to divorce gasoline-powered tools in favor of battery-electric power tools. Last year I bought a 40V battery powered mower with a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery that I can hold in one hand. It's perfect for me, lightweight and maneuverable and when I'm finished mowing I still have a 1/2 charge left. Then I disconnect the battery and take it inside to charge it. See

Before I start mowing, I use my Lithium-ion powered weed eater to trim around all the edges. I don't have to pull a starter cord to get a cranky 2-cycle gas engine started. It's also quiet, lightweight and again, I take the battery inside to charge it. Between the two, I've eliminated gas cans and the hassle of going to get gasoline as well as oil changes or oil mixing.

8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Electric-operated tools are really the best option for me. I think they are much easier to use and doesn't require too much work and attention. It is definitely effective for people who are really busy with their everyday lives and have too many things to do.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer electricity operated items. My only problem is that where we are, we sometimes get load shedding, and it can be very inconvenient. I just don't like gas at all, mainly because of the safety element. I'm terrified that if one thing goes wrong, it could lead to an explosion which in turn could lead to some serious injuries or even worse, death.

I think I'd happily opt for solar powered batteries as an alternative.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to use electric tools if I can. Gas powered tools just tend to be noisy and I'm always uneasy with having to handle them but electric tools are easier to manage and much more quiet and efficient most of the time. I don't mind using either though as long as they can get the job done.

11. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Which ever is cheaper. Right now, that's a toss up between gas and electricity if you actually do the math. I use electricity right now mostly because the appliances I have run on electricity. If you have a lot of power outages in your area you could invest in some gas appliances.

12. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer electric appliances because there are a lot of things that only electric appliances can do. Even if there is a gas or battery version of it, it won't be as powerful and sometimes it will be costly. For example, rice cooker, toaster, and microwave are quite handy and cheap way to cook your food. I also like electric stove because it is safer and relatively easy to clean.