Do You Like Ice In Your Cold Drinks?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by cocolgooh • Feb 9, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I personally dislike adding ice to cold drinks as I feel that it waters them down too much. I'd rather put them in the refrigerator for a while and let them cool down that way. However, in the summer if it's really hot and I'm out then I might ask for ice in my drink. Generally though, I prefer it without.

2. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, same thing with me. Cokes in dispensers or fountain drinks are already cold to begin with anyway so I don't see the point of putting extra ice that could water down the drink. Sometimes, I feel cheated when I cannot grab my own drink/refill because they will put a lot of ice in it that makes the actual content decrease. I can tolerate iced tea or iced coffee but still I would not add them if I have the choice not to. No matter how hot the day is, a cold drink is always enough for me.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the weather. If it's already cold out there, there's no need for me to add ice to an already cold drink. I might as well freeze. During summer, however, I like my drinks to be extra cold. Hence, the need for lots of ice. That's the only way to beat the heat.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like adding ice to my drinks especially if it's hot, sometimes I do that as well to extend the contents even further, but when it's already cold then I don't really like adding ice anymore to my drinks.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I always have ice in my drinks whether it's hot or cold because it's always gone before the ice begins to melt. If the ice melts your drink has been sitting to long and it's a waste once it's watered down. When I go to a restaurant I ask for my drink and ice to be separate then I can get a full glass of soda. I think at restaurants they fill your glass with ice just so you would buy more.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like an icy cold drink. I think I drink it fast enough that the ice doesn't get a chance to water it down. My family loves ice in their drinks so much that with our new fridge we made sure to get one with an ice maker. I have friends who ask for ice on the side so they actually get a full glass of soda. If you think about it the ice displaces a lot of soda and you are probably only getting half a drink. Makes sense to ask for your ice separately, unless the restaurant has free refills.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the same way 99% of the time, I don't really like them watered down. I drink water a fair portion of the time but if I am opting for something else I'd rather get the full flavor of whatever it is I'm drinking. I've never been that crazy about ice cold drinks, anyway.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My drinks are room temperature neither hot or cold. During the summer I do not put ice in my drinks either. Hot drinks I like warm neither real hot or real cold. The only drink I appreciate cold is a beer which I do not drink often.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never add ice because it dilutes the drink, and secondly too much ice gives me acid reflux. If I have to have ice because a drink is warm, I let it melt. Also in bars it's a rip off as they fill the glass with so much ice you get so little product.

I also learned if you travel to Asia the ice is often made from tap water, and many people end up with tummy bugs and worse if they have ice in their drinks.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ice cream soda was really popular before back in the 50's I believe. img-Root-Beer-Float.
    image from

My favorite is coke with vanilla ice cream and as a kid I loved root beer floats too.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely an ice junkie. I don't like drinking cold drinks if they are lukewarm or only mildly cold. I pretty much fill the glass to the top with ice, whenever I am pouring a drink. Since I tend to finish the drinks pretty quickly, I don't really have to worry too much about them becoming diluted. In fact, when I brew my own iced tea, I purposefully brew it strong, knowing I'm going to put it over a lot of ice, so it works out just fine.

I got hooked on using a lot of ice at one of my previous jobs, that had ice machines in their cafeteria and serveries. So now my fridge usually has about 6-8 ice trays in it at any given time. I've even considered getting one of those countertop ice makers.

12. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as possible, I do not add ice to my drink unless there is no cold drink and I'm very dry and needing a cold drink. Ice dilutes the drink especially with soda, the ice somehow ruins the taste. That's why when I order soda in the restaurants, I prefer the one in can which is cold. I sometimes don't use a glass anymore, just a straw goes well with that canned soda.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never used to like ice in my drinks. In fact, I made a point of telling servers not to bring my drink with it. However, that's all changed and I much prefer to have a glass full of ice. I usually go through the drink fast so as to get to the ice crunching stage LOL But I've been told it's not good for your teeth and can also lead to low blood pressure. I don't know how accurate that is, but I feel like I'm too far gone!

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Ice in my drink everytime cold or hot. I try to finish the drink in time before the ice dilutes it and distorts the taste. If the ice isn't there it seems as if the drink is not cool enough, it's just a habit of mine that has grown on me.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @explorex7...does that mean you also add ice to your hot beverages like tea and coffee?! Wow, I couldn't do that, because I find cold coffee and tea horrible. I like ice tea, but only when it was meant to be ice tea in the first place. My hot beverages have to be absolutely boiling hot in order for me to enjoy them.

16. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    I like to add a little ice to my drink even if the drink is already cold because as I would not be drinking it that quickly, the coldness would go away and then the drink would get closer to the lukewarm stage. The added ice would keep it cold for a longer time. However, I would not use more than 2 blocks of ice since that would then make the drink too watery.

17. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    Fastfood crews usually add too much ice on the drinks I buy. When the drink almost doesn't have any taste anymore, they'd still add so much in order to hide the fact that your cup is holding half a drink. There are certain fast food chains that do this and when there's nothing else to have, I just request a little amount of ice on my cup and if I have to, ask the crew to add more soda or juice. The agree to my request without being rude or trying to be manipulative.

18. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I enjoy ice in my juice, I rarely drink sodas. If it is summer and I'm at home, I prefer to put my drinks in the freezer, to get that semi-slushy taste.

19. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    For me it depends on the weather. If it's cold then I prefer to not add ice, but during the summer I almost always use ice. I don't like to use a lot of ice or else it does get too watered down so just a few ice cubes usually do the trick for me. Oh and when it comes to iced coffee, I make coffee ice cubes so that when I add them to the coffee it won't get all watery.

20. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always get ice in my drinks. I like ice cubes. Besides making it cold, I feel like I am getting water into myself which is usually healthier than whatever I am drinking. I like to chew on the pieces of ice too, which is not really good for your teeth, but it is a habit. However, in iced drinks, in places like Starbucks they way over ice the drinks. Next time I go, I am going to remind them not to add so much ice.