Do you like reading while traveling?

Discussion in Travel started by GenevB • Oct 22, 2014.

1. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a fan of reading books while I'm on the road because they give me headaches and they hurt my eyes. Instead of reading books, I listen to their respective audio books whenever I travel because they give me a more comfortable way of knowing a story. Not only does listening to audio books prevent me from getting headaches, but they also allow me to see the beautiful surroundings which is kind of the main attraction whenever we travel. Listening to audio books also allow me to dream and use my wide imagination to think about my future. Kinda cheesy right? Lol!

2. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Ashlee ! Would you like to tell me which kind of books mostly you like to read and do you read them during travel or daily?
    I often read fantasy novels and lost in of writer's fantasy world .. Do you ever read any fantasy novel if yes , then share its name with me...

#42Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  3. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Roki123! I usually read the books related to the travel because I am a tourist and I want to know the world I mean What's in it and what's it have? I wanna get information about the stunning attractions, joy lands and the curious places. The names of my favorite books are:
    Travels with Charley: In Search of America by John Steinbeck
    Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Rebecca West
    The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
    In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am an avid reader as it stands. I read every day, especially at night before bed to ease myself nicely into sleep. So yes if I can, I read when I'm travelling especially if it's a long journey...whether it's in a car, bus, train or plane. Luckily, my husband prefers to sleep. I usually take my Kindle and a few fashion magazines and read all the way to our destination :) That way I avoid getting bored and counting the kilometers, and it feels like the journey's shorter.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to do a lot of things when travelling especially on long flights and reading is one of them. I read from my phone as it saves a lot of space in my bag. When I get distracted, I switched to playing mobile games. There's always this outlet near you in the plane whenever you need to charge something. I also like to watch movies while on the plane, looking at the window, seeing the clouds and be amazed at God's wonderful creation.

6. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    Lushlala ! I think it is also a good way to keep you away from getting bored and enjoy the charm of travel. Fashion magazines are a great source to be updated with the latest fashion and my wife is also a big fan of read such kind of magazines and often involves me in it.

7. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah absolutely right roki123! Fashion magazines are really good source of not only entertainment but it also helps you to be updated with the new fashions. I am also huge fan of such magazines. But i do adopt only those fashions which might suites me. I never adopt such latest fashions which wouldn't suits me or making fun of me. What you think??

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't read when I am travelling. The changing light conditions and the movement of the vehicle I am travelling in gives me a headache. When I travel, I look for people to talk to. That's part of the fun of travelling for me. To meet new people, to find out how people from other places think. If there are conversation companions handy, I just close my eyes. Not to sleep, actually. Just conserving energy.

9. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    It is also a fun for me to talk to the new and interesting people and ask about their actual region and its attractions. I am a tourist and that's why traveling is not a irritation for me. I can travel in any condition and I can bear the all circumstances with this thought that it would be a new experience for me.

10. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    You sound like the kind who would enjoy a ride on a third-class train in Thailand. I travel almost exclusively by third-class when I travel by train in Thailand. One reason is that third-class is free. The other reason is that third-class has a lot more interesting people than second-hand. I once travelled for 12 hours on a second-class coach all the way from the Deep South to Bangkok. None of my travelling companions, not even the one sitting right opposite me, bothered to even look at me, much less talk with me.

11. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah Victor! Interested........

12. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    In which case, get ready to come to Thailand for the Songkran Festival. It's in April. That's the hot season for Thailand. So, it's just the perfect time for water-splashing fun which is what the Songkran Festival is about.

13. Bee14

Bee14New Member

Threads:
    I love reading while traveling.I get the most of my reading done while I am traveling.I make sure to pack at least 5-10 books that I have yet to read to keep my mind fresh of ideas.Reading is very essential to me so I highly recommend reading to be a must on all of my trips.It passes the most time for me as well as bringing my favorite music playlists when I travel as well.

14. Victor Leigh

Threads:
    Have you considered taking audio books? They occupy much less space and you can read audio books with your eyes closed.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always have a book with me to read if I need to wait in line or at the doctors office. I have started to listen to audio books which is a little more convenient, you can listen while driving, I listened to a complete series while driving.

16. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I think the only time I actually ever do any concentrated reading is when I'm away on holiday. It's just the way it's become. I think it's easier for me to avoid the day-to-day distractions of TV and life, which basically are my main excuse for not being able to read normally.

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I love reading while travelling, even if it's just a short drive.

I remember when I was still in college, the university I was attending that time was 1-hour drive away from our house, so I would sometimes bring a book with me and read it while sitting inside a jeepney (common public transportation here in Philippines). :)

18. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I do not read while travelling except when I am in a place. I much as possible I would like to see the great sites outside while riding a car or a bus. It gives the feeling of being one with nature.

19. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    I was busy in NYC with my family. So i didn't check your reply i always get ready for participating in such events. Now tell me exact dates of Songkran Festival did the celebrations ended now???:eek:

20. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I like to read while traveling. I think it is the only time I have ever managed to finish a book over a couple of days. Otherwise, sometimes it takes me months to finish a book because I can't get around to reading. When I travel, particularly with long flights it's easy to have my book readily accessible to read. I also keep reading at leisure during the rest of my trip. I use to carry my books with me, but it can get very heavy, so now e-books make it a lot easier.