Do you like real jewelry or costume jewelry better?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by alid1 • Jul 12, 2012.

1. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    I personally love costume jewelry. You can get a lot of pieces for a small amount of money. What do you like best?

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That's tricky for me. I'm allergic to the metal in costume jewelry, so buying something cheap that "looks like" gold is out of the question. I like beaded jewelry and leather jewelry because they're cute and fun and don't set off my allergy, but they're not always appropriate if I need to look particularly classy. I usually don't wear jewelry at all for that reason.

3. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I'm allergic to false metals but I really like costume jewelry. If its plastic and all the pieces are made of other materials other than fake metals I can wear it and prefer it. Its much more fun and colorful and easier to match with outfits due to the variety. If its ear rings though they have to be real, my little ears cant take synthetic jewelry.

4. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I create my own accessories and also sell online, i make bracelets, earrings and necklaces made out of goldfilled wires, semi precious stones and crystals. I also get allergic reactions from metals that's why i use goldfilled, it doesn't irritate my skin and does not tarnish or fade if given the proper cleaning and handling.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Like others here, I can only wear gold jewellery, so I tend to stick with that. I have a few simple but good quality pieces that really enhance my outfits. I also like beads for day wear, although I don't automatically pick up a piece of jewellery when I dress. It's a sort of afterthought for me, although I always wear it when we're going out for the evening.

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Myself, I don't wear jewelry. For my wife and daughters, I always try to get them the real stuff. Costume jewelry just doesn't resonate with my idea of adornment.

7. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to go through phases where I will wear jewelry quite often and then months will go by that I wear the very minimum. When I do wear jewelry I prefer to wear costume jewelry. I like the fact that there is a wide variety to choose from and I prefer a more bold, chunky piece of jewelry which I can find in costume jewelry opposed to the more finer delicate pieces in the real jewelry.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to wear pearls most of the time. I am really not a jewelry wearing person like everyday wearer of jewelry. Only when the mood hits me, then I wear it. I do wear earrings every time I go out, but that's as far as it goes. But what I do, since I mostly wear pearls all the time, I make my own pearl jewelry and I have every color and shape in pearls that you can think of that I like and they are the freshwater pearls, not glass even though, I said I would start making some of those since they look real and beautiful. But one strand of white pearls will go with just about anything and white pearl earrings so you are all set to be well dressed. I mix and match with crystals, the very best ones and you are on your way out.

9. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I have a few but I stopped wearing them because I'm allergic to the material :( Whenever I shop, I like to look at costume jewellery and it is so hard not to buy any.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I much prefer real jewelry, but only to the extent of the metal being real. I don't really like wearing real gems because then I'm always afraid I'll lose them. Cheap metals from costume jewelry will irritate my skin and ears, though, so I have to wear real silver or gold.

11. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Kind of like disposable jewelry? I can understand that. Although I don't wear jewelry myself, there are times when something about the design of costume jewelry strikes my fancy and I wish I had someone to buy it for. Not as something to keep. More like just a fun thing.

12. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean about costume jewelry. I can't wear that either because of having such an allergic reaction to earrings and such. But it was one lady that told me as far as earrings are concerned with the costume jewelry, to try putting clear nail polish on then before you wear them and you shouldn't be bothered with no reaction at all, but I have never tried that yet. I always wear the real ones so I will try that so you all will know if that works or not.

13. sandees

sandeesMember

Threads:
    I prefer real jewelry as it's not dated, timeless and goes with anything. I would consider spending good money on a classic pair of pearl earrings, diamond studs or even silver hoop earrings. I also prefer dainty jewelry, like small pendants and charms. I do however love Kate Spade and Marc by Marc Jacobs costume jewelry but they never seem to fit me or suit my style. But they are very pretty to look at! Perhaps my personal style is more classic and refined and i feel like i can't pull Kate Spade or Marc Jacobs off.

14. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that trick with the clear nail polish. I might try it, actually. It's such a pity that I can't wear costume jewelry, because I know quite a few local artisans who make the most gorgeous jewelry. It's like wearable art, except that I can't wear it, haha!

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer costume jewelery and those made from natural stones. I am also allergic to metal. Even solid gold bothers my skin. I do wear a watch with a leather strap. I do put clear nail polish behind the watch face to protect my skin. I am finding that as I get older, my skin is able to tolerate metals more.

16. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I am actually not a big fan of jewellery. However, if it is a really nice piece I will get it for myself or hint for it as a gift. (-: I usually only wear jewellery to parties or functions. I do like a good pair of simple silver ear-rings for daily wear though. I know...very boring, nonetheless that is the way it is for now.

17. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I am the same way as you are and I only wear jewelry when I must but I wear earrings everyday when I go out of the house. I am stuck on earrings and can't go without those but all that other jewelry is not for me as a everyday wearer. Although, I love to see jewelry on other people that likes to wear it. It's beautiful and all that but I have never been a fan as to say I have to wear it. A watch and earrings is another story, though. I feel I am dressed when I put them on.

#17Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  18. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Fancy costume jewelries are awesome especially when it comes to their prices. I'm not really into expensive accessories such as diamond rings and the like. I'd rather buy those cool accessories that I could use everyday for an affordable deal. :)

19. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean here, if I didn't make my own jewelry I would be buying the costume jewelry also. But not the earrings because I am allergic to that type of thing in my ears, but the other items of jewelry, sure in a heart beat. I love different kinds of jewelry when I am going out but I am not a jewelry person per say for the every day wearer.

20. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm torn. I like costume jewelry, especially beaded ones. It gives me a casual and laid-back look. For a more mature and elegant look, I like real jewelry, they don't have to have big stones though. When I wear real jewelry, it somehow boosts my confidence. But I only have a few pieces so, I treasure them very much. I just wear them on special occasions and at times when I feel really down and I need an instant lift. Works way better than comfort food for me!