Do you like real jewelry or costume jewelry better?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by alid1 • Jul 12, 2012.

1. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I have to say I like both. I have 6 holes total, so I like to wear real earnings in my top two holes and Grissel hole. I have several real necklaces that are white gold that I like to wear. Now, I love Costume Jewelry, because it makes your clothes pop and it is very cost efficient and convenient. It's like every store down hear sales Costume Jewelry. I love big earrings so sometimes I have to get a set + bigger earrings. I also have a lot of Costume Jewelry and sometimes I get them free if my mother buys them and she thinks it is to big to fit her she gives them to me and I always gladly take them :)

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it would depend on the type of real jewelry you are referring to. I kind of like to have and wear gold jewelry or even sterling silver jewelry, since these tend not the tarnish over time. As for fancier jewelry with precious stones such as diamonds, I think I would have to say that I am more comfortable with costume versions. Yes, it can be said that I feel this way because I can't afford the real thing. But to be honest even if I could afford the real thing I don't think I would want to wear it, I wouldn't be too subconscious about possibly losing it because of how expensive it is. So, I would have to say that I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable wearing such real jewelry. Now maybe there are a few exceptions to that rule such as an engagement ring, but even then I wouldn't want anything too elaborate that I have to constantly worry about.

3. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I love costume jewelry; I don't think I own real jewelry, I don't think I will ever purchase it unless I am picking out my wedding ring or engagement ring. I find real jewelry to be beautiful but it definitely over priced. I love to wear jewelry, if I was to purchase real jewelry then I wouldn't have very much. With costume jewelry, I will be able to be a lot of it for a low price. I am the type of woman that likes to have different jewelry to go with different outfits. I believe at almost every African American hair store, costume jewelry is sold for a dollar. When ever I have time, I always go there and purchase a hug bag full of jewelry--I couldn't do that if I were to buy real jewelry. I guess that is the only real reason why costume jewelry is my favorite..the low prices. :cool:

4. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I probably would prefer one good pair of expensive earrings rather than many cheap pair.s I guess this is just part of my minimalist personality where I would prefer quality over quantity.
    They would also last a lot longer than the cheaper costume kind.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This is true. Of all the jewelry I have ever had, it's only the real pieces that have lasted. The others tended to break, or beads would fall off, or something. Then again, it might be that I guarded my gold jewelry more closely than my costume jewelry simply because it was gold.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like costume jewelry because you can get something flashier and more theatrical for an affordable price.
    This set costs $30. Can you imagine how much it would cost if it was real?

$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrc9PBREnNpfTd!~~60_1.JPG

7. mifinfo

mifinfoActive Member

Threads:
    I like small accessories, whether it's real or not.:D

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    True. Jewelry is a fun accessory when it's costume jewelry, it's an investment that you have to keep track of when it's real. I've heard of women crying when their real jewelry got lost or stolen. When you have costume jewelry, it's cheap and cheerful and you don't have to worry about losing a $1 pair of earrings.

9. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    If I had enough money I would buy real gold and gemstones. But since I do not have alot of extra money I do buy costume jewelry. If I could I would buy all kinds of sapphires. I love the color blue and sapphires are my very favorite gem stone. I adore rings and I wish I could afford real gold. The costume jewelry tends to turn my fingers green. But at the same time there are all kinds of different designs and pieces of jewelry that are beautiful and go quite well with some of my outfits. You just have to take extra good care of them as they are not as durable as real gold and gemstones.

10. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah. I agree on this part. With costume jewelry, you could already have more than just one accessory in a limited budget. You really get value for your money.

11. smilealways

smilealwaysNew Member

Threads:
    I love both the real jewelry and the costume jewelry, but I'm inclined more to costume jewelry. This is of-course, because costume jewelry is more economical. Also, it comes in lots and lots of designs and colors when compared to the real metal jewelry. Another thing is that, sometimes the costume jewelry looks so real that you cannot tell whether it is real or not. This is sometimes an advantage because I get the same uplifting, confident feeling which I get on wearing the real jewelry on this too, that too with way smaller amount of money. :cool:

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally think it's ridiculous to put such importance (and $$$$$) into rocks lol. Costume here.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of wearing jewelry, but I would prefer real jewelry over costume jewelry because it looks more classy in my opinion. Even my mom did not own any costume jewelry, only real ones.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not one for jewellery but I would choose real jewellery over the fake plastic jewellery. I used to own a ring which was cheap, I grew out of that phase and chucked it away.

My parents bought me a nice gold chain for my birthday but it broke. I wouldn't bother wasting my money on jewellery now.

15. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    Costume jewelry can be great because it is usually cheap but can still look beautiful. Especially if you are just looking for some sparkle. I know there are lots of people who can tell the difference between real diamonds and fake ones, but I'm not one of them so I certainly don't care! On the other hand if the jewelry is too cheaply made then it can cause a skin reaction if you have sensitive skin. However a little trick is to paint the part of the jewelry that will touch your skin with some clear nailpolish.

16. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really wear jewelry, just my watch, maybe because I'm used of not wearing one because of my work. Occasionally, I do use the real one. I have few pieces that can go better with any outfit. But I enjoy looking at costume jewelry when I'm in the mall. But I don't buy.

17. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    The thing with costume jewelry is that it fades in time. It does not matter if the ads say they don't, they will. After that you have a bunch of junk you can't use. Also if you want ones that look nice they are not cheap at all. Your best bet is to buy the real ones when they are on sale. Gold hoop earrings are very versatile and you can wear them with the most casual or formal clothes and they still look great. Just make practical choices.

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really have much custom jewelry. I have one piece it's a bracelet and I love it my motherinlaw gave it to me her friend makes them. I love how strong it is my kids got a hold of and were pulling on it and to my surprise it didn't break and I love the look of it.

19. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I will always like real jewelry over costume jewelry. Whenever I purchase something I always want to get the real product over the knock off. It will make sure the product is more durable and last longer.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger we bought a lot of real gold and silver jewelry. We sold most of the pieces for a good amount of money when gold and silver was way up. I myself like jewelry, so I will window shop in both sections fine and costume jewelry. I feel sorry for all of you who have allergies or sensitivities towards metals. I go to Chinatown and I find beaded jewelry, jade bangles, mother of pearl jewelry, but I don't know about earrings, rings or bracelets of different metals. Good luck in finding the beautiful jewelry you like.