Do you like shopping at the Salvation Army or Goodwil?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Qualitycontent • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Qualitycontent

QualitycontentMember

Threads:
    I love shopping for clothes at Goodwill and Salvation Army. They have such good deals sometimes. I especially like going on Senior Citizen day. I like finding my grandchild clothes. But after I bought some clothes for my grand-baby, I did not realize until later that there were Staples left in the clothes. Therefore, I had to go back through all the clothes at my son's house and try to find the stapled clothes. So if you shop at a resale store especially for babies, don't forget to take the staples out.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been buying goods at Salvation Army stores for many years. We don't have Goodwill in our country, but similar charity organisations, like St Vincent de Paul and Homeline.
    Before I buy any new furniture or electrical appliances, I will always first check out the local charity stores. And nine times out of ten, I will find what I am looking for. I also like buying clothes from their shops, as you never know that kind of treasure you will find. For me that "cat in the bag" is always the most alluring one. :)

3. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have Goodwill in my country either. We have a Salvation Army in the city but I have never been to it. I do go other used clothing stores and purchase things. You can always find some really good deals. You can fashionable stuff for a fraction of the price. I usually stop in when I am going by. Sometimes I find things and other times I don't but it is worth checking out.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    You can find amazing deals!
    All my work/garage clothes come from thrift stores. I even will buy housewares if I find things I really like.

5. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I had a friend that would shop there. I think that they were able to save a ton of money on clothing there. I have heard that the prices there are so much better. I mean I'm sure that they are so much cheaper, but I've never been in a store myself. I'm sure that if I saw one, then I would check it out because they do have good prices.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using the Salvation Army stores and other charity shops for years. I rarely buy new clothes at all. It's true that charity shops can be a bit hit-and-miss and that you have to keep searching but I often pick up some great bargains, simply thruogh persistence.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    have been shopping her I am looking for clotat the second hand stores for some time. I get great bargains at these stores whethes or household items. Most of the clothes I get are new with the tags still on them. If I am looking for something that is older the first thing I do is go to the secondhand store to find it.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We do not have a Salvation Army or Goodwill here in our country. What we do have are ukay-ukays which are thrift shops and outlet stores for factory overruns. I have not tried ukay-ukays as they are not comfortable shopping into. They do not have aircons and the clothes are just thrown into piles.

I love going to outlet stores. Factory overruns of known brands are available at a cheaper price. We get to buy baby clothes at a fraction of the price. Sometimes even baby utilities are available.

9. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I shop more at charity stores than anywhere else and have since I graduated high school. I like being able to create my own style combinations. I love when I find a beautiful piece of furniture or other decor items for a few bucks. It's fun to meet people you never would have thought would be caught in a thrift store.

I'm also thankful that there are people who have charitable hearts.

10. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of my clothes in places like this, and to be honest with you, I don't understand why people would avoid them. A lot of the clothes that you get are just as high a quality as those that you would get from any other stores, yet they are a fraction of the price, which can only be a good thing indeed. I always encourage my friends to shop at these kinds of places, as they really can get a bargain that they can be proud of, and that then means that they can save money for other things.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as I am aware, we also do not have a salvation army or a good will over here in our country either. We do have similar stores though, I am sure. I am not a fan of shopping in second hand shops, for second-hand clothes though. I never have been. They always seem to have this musty, lived-in, smell to them. It's nice for a while, if you are just walking into one of these stores, but to own an item that smells this way - it is not for me.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I love it. Always the first place I go. I really can't stand the idea of paying more than thrift store prices for clothes. They are just outrageously expensive. I like that thrift stores carry things that are older as well because I rarely like the current trends that much and prefer a classier, well, old fashioned style.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    No, I have absolutely no problem shopping at these stores. Its something my mom drilled into me when I was younger. You can really cut down on how much money you spend on clothing by shopping at thrift stores. There are often times some brand new or good condition clothes at these stores.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, due to their policies and corporate practices, I will no longer shop at nor donate to either. To the best of my knowledge, if you have a St. Vincent DePaul thrift store in your area, they are a more reputable operation serving the poor and homeless. They operate both soup kitchens as well as thrift stores.

The Salvation Army has a long history of discrimination against the LGBT community which you can find more information about by searching on Google - I won't go into it all here. This is unfortunate and contradictory since a majority of homeless youth are in fact LGBT folks, whom have had to leave their homes due to being rejected by their families and friends or were forcibly told to leave because of their sexual orientations/identities. The Salvation Army has been trying to do damage control in recent years over the backlash for these practices, saying that they don't discriminate, but recent internal documents and company policies which have leaked show that they continue to do so.

GoodWill is another company I will no longer support. They've been exposed as taking advantage of disabled and handicapped people they are hiring - taking advantage of loopholes in our laws which allow them to pay these workers well under minimum wage, sometimes under $1 an hour. Meanwhile their upper level execs are getting multi million dollar salaries. It's infuriating to think that I've donated to them in the past and shopped at their stores under the false pretense that most of my money and donations were going to help the less fortunate - but instead a large portion of that is simply padding some executives pockets, while they pay their low level workers worse than the minimum wage.

With many other thrift stores out there, you should keep in mind that a lot of them aren't for any particular charity at all, even if they might give the impression of doing so. Those ubiquitous drop boxes you see throughout many neighborhoods where you can leave clothes and shoes and stuff in, aren't a part of any charity either in many cases. They're just planted by for-profit businesses who take the items and re-sell them for a profit. In fact, in many of these cities, the entities placing those boxes around town don't even have any formal permission from the city to do so. The city officials don't even know who a lot of those donation boxes belong to.

15. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    If you're talking about thrift store shopping, yes I love thrift store shopping. I tend to avoid Salvation Army and Goodwill though because they represent things that I don't want to support (anti-LGBT and large corporation that takes advantage of its workers and employees). I always go to the local thrift stores that are open and run by individuals that live in the area.

With that said, I do love thrift shopping but it's too bad that it's so much of a hit or a miss. But when you do find something, it's quite amazing and the price can't be beat!

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Salvation Army wasn't all that, so I sometimes went in to see what I could pick up as opposed to it being my favourite place to shop. It's certainly never been my go to store for clothes. There used to be a different second hand store that sold very nice, barely worn clothes in the next town up from me, but it was rather pricey because tit was mainly designer gear. Now if I could afford it, I'd happily shop there all the time.

17. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love the Goodwill stores in my area as they have a lot of nice modern things in them. I do not have a Salvation Army in my area so I can't compare goods or prices. Goodwill is very reasonable and I like to support their causes.

18. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    We have a salvation army, goodwill, and the church's Angel's Attic. If I'm looking for something specific I'll go to each one until I find what I'm looking for. Angel's attic uses all of their funds to support the only free clinic in the area, so they are the first place I visit, every time. They get all my donations, now, too.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have donated clothes to Salvation Army and Goodwill before, but never actually bought anything from them.
    It's not that I have something against getting clothes from those or against used clothes in general, but I prefer to get new clothes from a store, you can buy nice new clothing on sale for a similar price... I think it's just preference.

20. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I've never shopped at Salvation army but I really like Goodwill. There's one right down the street from me and I love it. Thrift shopping is a new hobby of mine because I like finding really interesting and unique pieces to add to my collection. Plus, Goodwill has sale days so it's really easy to find quality items for good prices.