Do you like to shop at "brick and mortar" stores, or do you prefer online?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by kinser • Apr 30, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I am an online-shopper whenever possible. I don't enjoy shopping, for the most part, and online-shopping has made it much less of a hassle for me. You can find exactly what you're looking for, and in many cases, use coupon codes for discounts for free shipping. The only drawback is having to wait to get your item (which can seem like a long time when you're excited for something!) The places I frequent make returns easy and hassle-free, so that's not a concern for me. Which do you like better - online, or "real" stores?

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I do about 50% 50% on both. I like to browse stores sometimes to kill time, and I love shopping, but I also find that shopping online is easier when I know exactly what I want. For big money electronics, cosmetics, clothes, I will browse online and find the cheapest price then buy, but for most things I will scope out in the store first, then go online and price check. Then buy the cheapest.

3. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that is a good strategy, to compare prices with those at local stores. For unique items, there are a lot of good websites where you can buy one of a kind handmade goods.

For electronics, I usually check store prices and sales online. Then I'll go to the cheapest store to buy the item. With some merchants, you can place your order online and then pick it up at the store.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use a combination as well. If I'm shopping for things that I don't need right now, then I don't mind waiting for them to show up eventually. Often times my local stores won't have everything I need, so online stores can even be my only option sometimes.

When I shop local, though, I prefer to shop at actual local businesses that might be family owned or small shops instead of at mass commercial stores like Walmart, Kmart, etc, if possible.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I sort of divide it. If it's something I need to see before making a decision, I'll buy in the store. If it's something like a DVD or book, it's usually cheaper to buy online. It's great to have the choice, though, and it's helping to drive prices down everywhere, because there are so many shopping options available.

6. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what I need. There are some items I want that is only available in online stores, so I go with that. As much as possible though, if it's available around here, I'd rather just go to the shop personally. It also helps that I get to see the product first hand. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of returning a defective product.

7. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I still shop at brick and mortar shops because I already spend most of my time in cyber space. So I use shopping as an excuse to interact with people in real life.

8. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I much prefer online shopping, Amazon to be exact. With the Premier membership I'm able to get free shipping for most anything I purchase. When I have to buy in stores I tend to go to Sam's Club where I can order what I need ahead of time on their website and they have it all in the cart for me when I get there. With three children I just don't have time to shop in stores.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I use both and have done so for a while. If I really need something, I can often get it quicker and cheaper online. So, I do this. There are no queues, no pressure etc... However, I still prefer the EXPERIENCE of physical stores...you can see the colors, experience the aromas, meet people etc. So, both for me! Thank you. (-:

10. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Online shopping store provide easy payment modes which enables people to pay using online money trasfer facility. One can buy even at nights.Online shopping is definitely the wave of the future.

11. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    I also prefer online shopping.
    In regular shops I find it difficult to find the stuff I'm looking for, so I just go to Ebay or Amazon and usually get the item for cheaper, too.
    Most of my clothes are bought online, but I prefer to buy shoes in regular shops as they need to be tested first.

12. MEGATRUCK

MEGATRUCKMember

Threads:
    I'll go to shop at stores if it's for foodstuffs or clothing. For everything else, there's just a lot less of a hassle when I shop online, especially when the online storefronts have much better deals than any retail store.

13. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the item I am shopping for at the time. If I'm shopping for a computer, then I would rather go to a brick-and-mortar store, while if I'm shopping for beauty products or clothing, then I would rather shop online. I would rather purchase shoes at a traditional store because I want to make sure they fit properly.

14. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I generally shop at any of the areas that have the best prices. I am a smart shopper I think and will look on the Internet from the store for the item. Then I make a decision if I should purchase the item there or move onto the Internet because of the cheaper pricing.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't usually buy clothes on line. Jeans, in particular, I need to go to the store and try on, unless it's a pair of jeans that I already own and simply want to replace. However, I've had good experiences buying outerwear online (coats, scarves, etc).

16. nherie

nherieMember

Threads:
    I am starting to prefer brick and mortar shopping. Nothing like being able to see, touch, feel, and smell the product before you buy it. The only downside to brick and mortar shopping is that I don't have a car therefor I have to lug stuff home on a bus. Shopping online and getting it delivered it convenient, but I like being about and getting fresh air, sunshine, etc.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer brick and mortar shopping for some items. I love shopping at bookstores, but they are closing and I'm forced to shop online. I hate buying clothes online. I prefer to try on clothes, touch the fabric and check out the quality of the construction. These things can't be determined online. I do prefer to buy electronics online especially heavy stuff that would need to be delivered.

18. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    I like both online and shopping at the shops/malls. I prefer to buy electronic/tech gadgets online because they are more affordable. If I am lazy to shop for groceries at the store, then I'll order our monthly groceries from the local online store, which saves us both time and money. At the moment, we are without a car, so my fiancé and I opt for online shopping.

19. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I generally prefer a brick and morter building for my shopping, because I find it very convienent and it helps to prevent impluse buying. Besides which I have paranoid tendencies and so like paying cash versus the whole digital thing.

20. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what I'm purchasing and how much the item is. If I look at how I've shopped on luxury items over the past year, I'd say I've done more shopping online than in the store. I buy all my books off of Amazon, I purchase bullion, items for the computer and other stuff on eBay and I browse around for other goods I'm looking to purchase.

In the U.S., there is much better selection for online purchasing as opposed to up here in Canada. Not only do we pay higher prices than our neighbours to the south in the store, but we lack strong competition on the Internet (compared Amazon Canada to Amazon in the U.S.).