Do you limit the number of toys you give your child?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by True2marie • Dec 18, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Do you limit the number of toys you give your child?

For me, I think that at most, a child should have 10 toys. Once this number is passed, he or she doesn't even play with them all. The toys just start to collect dust.

ks-kids-selection.

2. MissyBea

MissyBeaNew Member

Threads:
    Glad you asked this question!

Are you referring to giving them ten toys as Christmas presents, or the amount of toys the child has in general? I do not , technically, keep track of the number of toys that my kids play with in their bedroom. However, if I notice that they have too many toys or that their toys are on the floor, then I will start putting the toys up in their closet. I love doing this because after a few months I can take those toys down and the kids will be super excited to play with these toys.
    Now, as far as Christmas goes, I have more than one child, so I try to give each child the same number of gifts (toys, books, crafts etc). I do this to be fair, but also because I think if I give them too many toys they will not be able to enjoy each toy like they would normally.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kids shouldn't have too many toys. Two or three is enough to keep them busy and if you have to get a new one then you take one of the old ones out of circulation. That way the place won't be cluttered up with toys the kids don't even play with.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The situation between kids and toys is insane, kids these days have way too many toys and surely they don't use them all. In seasons like Christmas I often ask my relatives and friends to offer my kids clothing and even when they get toys I have a rule with them, for every new toy they receive they have to give away an old one, there are a lot of kids that don't have that many toys so they will appreciate them better.

5. mistysauro

mistysauroNew Member

Threads:
    My kids dont need tons of toys at one time they get them are yr.

6. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea, they get excited to play with "new" toys and you get to save money by not having to buy new toys. win/win!
    I think kids don't need as many toys as they usually have, nowadays I even see some parents give their children iPads and Tablets, that just seems like more money than sense tbh.

7. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    We just went through the house and did a huge toy purge. However, I do think that children need to have a good variety of things to play with. Mine have between 15-20 different kinds of toys but they do have collections within those kinds.

8. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with limiting the amount because the child will stop playing with them. I made that mistake with my first son, he had more than enough toys for him and all the neighborhood kids to play with. He got to the point where he barely played with them, he had 2 or 3 toys that he played with and the rest just sat there. I didn't make that same mistake with my second child.

9. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    My parents never limited the number I was allow per se. But they would not spoil me with whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I suppose actually I did end up having too many toys in the end because the wardrobe was ridiculously cluttered with all sorts of plastic soldiers and mini cars and such.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a kid, but, I think that having a "toy limit" is actually good, since if there are too many toys then the kid won't even be able to play with all of them at the same time, and for sure it will just gather dust and it will be left unused. So I think that parents should also stop buying toys for their kids when they have too many already.

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I hate getting toys anymore. The kids only play with them for a little while and then they're bored with them. I really need to downsize on toys like I did a couple months ago. I threw out a ton of them that were old and never played with. I wish I would have told my in laws not to get my kids toys this year for Christmas and just buy them a year pass to the Children's museum because that would have been so much better than all this clutter. I hate having things that we don't need, like a ton of toys piled up in the kids room. Now I definitely know better. Only clothes, and really useful things like educational books, tracing pads to learn to write, etc.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We don't limit the amount of toys because they are given gifts every holiday and birthday so it wouldn't be too practical, but we just try and keep them disciplined by not buying each new toy that they want. Instead they would have to bargain or wait for the right time. Personally I think it's okay for them to have as many toys as they want even if they end up ignoring a lot of them just as long as they aren't spoiled enough to expect that they will get whatever they want whenever they want.

13. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with you. back in the days when I was a kid, I had only a number of toys to play with. Toys before were like treasure because there weren't as plenty as we have nowadays. That's what I keep on telling my 6-year-old boy because he would always ask us to buy him toys every time we go out together. I do limit the number of toys he owns because they only end up to be part if a huge pile of clutter after just a few days of playing with them. My husband is more lenient though when it comes to the amount of toys our kid could own.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take myself out of the equation completely.. I don't worry about messes, because that's on me to clean or to teach them to clean up after themselves. I don't worry about clutter or "too many" and especially not "spoiling" the child. A child can never have too much fun or too many treasures. It's the time in their lives that their imaginations are soaring and it's up to us to nurture that. If they don't play with a certain toy, then it can be donated, but I don't limit anything based on me when it's my child's development, imagination and love of learning I have to nuture and if toys are on the list, I make sure they have a large variety. In our house it was less toys and more creative play and learning, so our house was full of supplies.

15. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I agree. Not only do toys collect dust and they don't play with them, but the kids also become spoiled if they have too many toys. I don't really limit the toys, but we don't have a whole lot of room in our house so obviously we cannot have too many here. I try not to get my kids too many electronic toys. Educational toys are really important to me so I try to focus on those and workbooks as well. Kids can learn a lot from certain toys, but other times it can just rot their brain.

16. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    These days kids have less value for toys I feel. I see them playing with utensils, mobiles and ipads more than toys!

The new toy fascinate them for few hours until they break it. After dat it just gets stuffed up in the closet.

After a while if you can reassemble them, you can present them again for a whole new excitement.

I wish kids nowadays, could value toys the way we did!

17. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I don't keep track of how many toys my kids have. Anyway, they have the tendency to break them within a few hours or a few days. So most of the time, they just play among themselves, with few of the soft toys that they really like a lot. The other stuff like remote cars, guns etc., they get bored of after sometime and they are just there.

18. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There were times when I thought that we were spoiling our child, but every time I looked around all the things we had were not really high tech or anything, so I never really felt like it was all that much. Some kids had phones and all of that...no way for my kid.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In fact our children get so many toys as gift from friends and relatives that it is hard to limit the number of toys to them. Once they reach in their hands they are not ready to part with them. But we try to hide some of them if possible because children want something new every time.

20. Working Buck

Working BuckActive Member

Threads:
    In my point of view, 2 or 3 toys a year would be okay for kids ages 3 to 6 years old. Once they turn 7 you might want to get them something that they would stick to. Just based on my experience, I did have quite a few toys as a kid and when I was given a console I just stopped playing with my old toys and got stuck playing with my console. I just get 1 or 2 games a year for that console.