Do you listen to music/watch tv while you cook?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Plinko • May 12, 2014.

1. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    When I'm in the kitchen, I don't like any noise while I am cooking. I find I don't like to have the tv or music on because it kind of distracts me. Well, I do keep my tablet Handy, in case I want to look up a recipe video, but generally speaking, the only noise I like when I am cooking is the sound of my spoon stirring, lol. However, I like to listen to music when I am cleaning up. The beat of the music seems to make the clean up work go faster for me.

What about you? Do you prefer a noisy kitchen or a quiet one? Do you dance while you chop, or do you create your cooking masterpieces in silence?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a music or the TV on when I was cooking before but I stopped since I have a baby. The sound just goes terrible when Cat Steven is singing and my baby is screaming. So there is never a way I can concentrate to the music or whatever is on the TVs.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I like to watch TV while I'm cooking, if it's something easy to cook; If it's more complicated or if it's the first time I'm cooking that meal, I have to focus and can't have any distractions :)
    If I'm cooking something that I saw on Youtube though, I bring the laptop to the kitchen and follow along to the video, pausing as needed.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to listen to music when I cook or clean. If I am working on something in the kitchen that has a lot of steps I will not have the music on just to make sure I am paying complete attention to the task at hand because I can get distracted and forget that I am doing something for hours on end. I have even burned the food when cooking because I got distracted.

5. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    I usually sit my tablet up on a stand and watch Netflix when I cook. I also usually have the recipe pulled up online on my tablet so I switch back and forth between that. It relaxes me.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I would get distracted if I listened to music while cooking, even if it was something simple. I really hate making mistakes and messing my food. The kitchen is not where I would be comfortable enjoying music either. I guess some music would be nice for something easy like washing the dishes though.

7. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great question what would I do without my music. I love to listen to music while I cook, clean, wash cloths, or even if I'm just reading a book. It relaxes my mind and I can do thing so much faster if I have no distraction from the kids. I cant do the TV cause I would have to keep coming from room to room watching it I would never get anything done.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't put on music or turn the TV on a specific channel just to cook. I will usually just leave the TV on to have background noise while I'm cooking. My mom, for example, has a TV in the kitchen and will never cook without it on the news channel or her favorite tv show. I don't particularly care, I only need some noise on, so I'm fine having the TV on some random channel in the living room.

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have no TV in the kitchen, there's a wall separating the living room from my kitchen. I'll admit that if one of my favourite shows are on, then I sneak a peak once in a while by craning my neck around the wall. But a majority of the time I don't watch TV when I'm cooking. I only listen to music when I'm coming home on the public transit lol, so no music here.

10. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I always have the tv going while I'm cooking. A dvd, tv show, movie, the dish, or netflix streaming. I have to admit that when something comes on that I miss, I do rewind, lol. If it's a long process, such as having to stir gravy, again, I moderate the show, but still it's on.

11. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I do. Usually my BF is around, and he's ALWAYS playing music. It keeps background noise, which doesn't bother me, but his music choice does get old sometimes. It would be nice to be able to listen to my own music when cooking and cleaning rather than just whatever he has on.

12. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not watch television while I cook unless my favorite show is on or something. I do listen to music a lot. It seems to help me enjoy cooking because I am not a great cook. It does no distract me for what I can tell.

13. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannonMember

Threads:
    I tend to watch a ton of Dr. Phil while cooking in the kitchen. I will set up my laptop to where I can see it without getting it ruined, then I will youtube the latest Dr. Phil episodes so that I can catch up. I am quite addicted to it.

14. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - I often watch TV while cooking a meal. This can be a catch-22, though. You have to make sure you're not too involved with your show and forget that something is on the stove. A couple of times this happened to me and I ended up burning my food.

15. sanders89

sanders89New Member

Threads:
    I like to turn up my pandora station while I am cooking. And sometimes if I am baking, or spending a really long amount of time in the kitchen I will, on a laptop turn on my favorite television series and listen to that. I also really like books on tape.

16. stardisgate

stardisgateNew Member

Threads:
    Not while I am cooking because it distracts me too much. I do love to listen to music while I clean. It is very refreshing to listen to and it motivates me. But while cooking , it is a little too distracting.