Do you live in a drought region?

Discussion in Water started by troutski • Oct 1, 2014.

1. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you live in a drought-ravaged region, then you've probably tried cutting back on water use or been forced to by the local water authority. I live in San Diego, and all of California is under a severe drought warning. Perhaps one positive of the drought conditions is that many people are cutting back on water use and saving on their water bills in the process. Still, things never would have come to drought conditions if people were better at conserving water instead of wasting it.

2. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Hi, I live in Arizona.

We are in a noticeable drought, but not like California. The newsmedia here is keeping the drought conditions on the down-low, and you rarely hear about it when talking to people. We know our state has been getting less rain this last decade, but aside from that nobody is really concerned. I didn't even know that there was water restrictions in Cali, if you can believe that...

Water is still cheap here.

A GREAT way to reduce water usage: STOP USING GRASS. Grass is so, so wasteful and pointless to keep in a dry region. Labor intensive, invites gnats and other insects, and hogs up a ton of water. Use gravel landscaping, and plant low-water trees in it, to provide shade and atmosphere (in both senses of the word lol)

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am from Australia and drought is very common here in most areas of the country. There are places where it hasn't rained in nearly ten years. We have lived with severe water restrictions for a long time and are used to it. As a matter of fact, when I was travelling in Europe recently, I couldn't stop marvelling at the abundance and quality of the water. All those lakes and rivers, and not to mention the snow capped mountains which often are the main sources for providing fresh, clean water to towns and cities.

#3Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in Florida, and while we're not a drought region, there are times when water usage is restricted, such as when wildfires break out and the water supply is needed to fight the fires. You wouldn't think of Florida as having wildfires, but we do have some forests and a lot of vegetation.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    My area faced a drought this year, we didn't have a snow pack from the winter, which was really bad. Fortunately God took care of us and brought rain just when we needed it. The town really emphasized the need to conserve water and sent out letters with the utility bills with tips on how to save water while keeping your yard in decent shape, what to look for that might be wasting water. I think we did a really good job on cutting down on waste this year, skills that will help up in the future for sure.

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a region where the weather is hot and there's drought every now and then. Last summer (that was more than 4 months ago for tropical countries), we supposedly experienced drought. The weather authorities also claimed that another dry spell would soon be infesting our country come October. It's weird because it's been raining heavily the past 4 months and all of a sudden we'll have a drought? That report never sunk into my system. I had to see it to believe it.

7. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    Interesting, if I can ask, what were some of the water-conserving suggestions the town made, my lady?

(If it's yellow...)

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I visited Albuquerque last year, and fell in love with it. If water were not a concern, I would pack a bag and run away in a heartbeat. Even in Richmond, VA we run into water restrictions. With temperatures over ninety degrees Fahrenheit through much of the Summer, a week or so without rain does damage to the vegetation. It seems we are under water restriction near the end of every other Summer. And, people continue to overwater their yards. I don't understand it. We will have days for odd or even addresses to water their lawns, and I will see clear violations when I go for a run at night. I just don't get it. Unless you are running a golf course, what is the compulsion to water your lawn during a drought? It would make me so much angrier if I lived in a region that regularly had water shortages.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do not live in a region faced with lots of drought. However, I travel quite often and have seen lots of places that are affected by drought. It is really sad to see the drought affected regions and the conditions faced by these people. There are quite a lot of ways conserving water and if certain regions are capable of trying out these techniques, then there are high chances of avoiding drought affected regions.

10. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I live in the Caribbean regIon, more specifically, Jamaica. My island is surrounded by water and has many rivers that can be used to provide clean useable water to the entire population but we do not manage our resources well here in Jamaica so we had experienced severe drought like conditions this past summer, even though rain hadn't fallen for months, I believe if my country invested properly in our resources we wouldn't have had water cut offs and emergency drought warning.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Ha! not even close! We just went through the 5th most wet month of April on record since the weather people started keeping records! I am jumping for joy to not see any rain in the forecast for the next few days. My yard, which never floods, was turning into a pond.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in Southern California. Los Angeles specifically so yes, I live in a drought area. I do know some areas of the state are hit harder than others. Los Angeles isn't in danger of running out of water very soon. But I am very conscious of my water use.

13. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yes. I do, but it's only in the summer and it sucks. I think I prefer it not being drought because it stinks and a lot of humidity, eventhough it's nature and green it just seems like you live in a drought place, but when it's winter, it's like living in the depth of the Atlantic ocean, so cold and a lot of rain and snow.

14. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I don't live in a drought region though in my country there are vast areas where drought is persistent and water is actually sold. It has to be said that even in deserts, there are times of the year when there are torrential rains and this water can be harvested to good effect for use during dry seasons using water pans. The best source of water in such zones are community boreholes.

15. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    No, I'm not. The Urals are certainly not on the list of the driest places on Earth ever. It rains a lot here. However, the summer of 2015 was pretty dry and extremely hot. The people here were not ready for this after the cold one of 2014. We have central heating out there, so taking a bath is not an issue at all.

Do you guys enjoy training or are you the type of person who flees and hides from it right away?

16. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    We do not live in a drought region, but there are times of the year when we do experience periods of drought like what we were experiencing for the last 4 months or so. During these times, the only kind of water restriction we have is watering garden plants or lawns. Otherwise, we are allowed to use water as usual for everything else. Right now the drought is over though, so the lawns and gardens around the country are starting to look green again.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm not living in a drought area, but when there is a water shortage or near drought episodes we did have to do what you're doing now. We had to water our plants every other day only. We had to conserve water and use water for cooking, bath and it was showers only and for drinking. I believe it was in the early 80's or so we had to conserve water. Today there are all sorts of gadgets like faucets that spray less water or shower heads that spray less water too. We have a smaller toilet tank that uses less water when you flush.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are guilty of wasting precious water. I have to admit that. We have rains now for 3 weeks but before that, the drought ravaged our area that we had to water the garden 2 times a day to save them from withering. Even the air conditioner was running from 9am until night time. It was a terrible dry season that started in January, lasting until the half of May. Now we are thinking of installing a cistern to save rain water which we can use when the drought comes again. But my husband said that we can store water in the 5-gallon containers with caps so the rain water will not be soiled. And we have a lot of those big plastic bottles in our stock room.