Do You Make a List When Shopping For Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Oct 22, 2014.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I make a list when shopping for clothes to make sure I get what I need, instead of going into the store and purchasing something that will not work in my wardrobe. I don't want to purchase a shirt or jacket and get it home and be sorry because it does not go with the other things I have and now I have to purchase something to go with that one item.

2. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I've never made a list for clothes shopping, but it sounds like a good idea. It works very well for me when grocery shopping, so I can only assume that it could work just as well for clothes shopping. I'm planning a little shopping trip next weekend, and I am going to try using a list to see if how it works.

3. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I actually never knew people made shopping lists for the clothing store. I personally just go and look around. If I see something I know that a family member needs and/or wants, I'll get it. I do set mental budgets for each person because I tend to go overboard in the girls section for my daughter because she's easier to but for then my oldest son is. I try to make it as fair as possible.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't really make a list when I buy clothes, because I don't buy one unless I need it or I happen to see something that I like. I also think that it's not advisable to give clothes as gifts because the recipient might not like the gift that you buy for them. But for those that give clothes as gifts, then a list is advisable.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't make a list when I am shopping for my clothes. When I do my shopping, I just go out the house, go to the mall, bring my money and make the most of the amount that I have. I would surely spend them all no matter how few or how many clothes I would be able to take home from it. This is my strategy, and I feel that this is more convenient, because unlike grocery items, you really don't know what you would want to get with your clothes once you're already in the shop.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I buy most of my casual clothes at Goodwill in a nice neighborhood, so my shirts all cost $2 and I don't really make a list. I made a list only once, when my daughter had a gift card for clothes and we were trying to calculate how to get the most items for the money.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely should make a list, as I understand and appreciate the need for discipline when avoiding shopping temptation. Unfortunately, my head gets too easily turned and I get distracted by special offers and the like. It doesn't make for a cheap shopping experience sometimes, unfortunately.

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Never. To begin with, I never need this many clothes that I would need a list...! I do set a sort of budget, though, so that lets me free enough to indulge in great finds (and isn't that part of the fun of shopping? You go for a shirt and you find a very nice skirt for just a couple of bucks? I'm sold).

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never bothered to make a list when clothes shopping, unless I am buying vacation clothes. I only ever buy for myself though, so don't have a great deal to remember. In any case, the majority of my clothes come from the thrift store, where lists are useless.

10. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Not for clothes shopping! Though, I've only done clothes shopping for myself, excluding Christmas. I'll write down a list for clothing for Christmas shopping, but only because people want specific items from certain stores.

11. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    When shopping for clothes I usually don't make a list. I probably should use a list when I shop for clothes. When I shop for clothes I often end of leaving with more things than I intended to buy. Sometimes when I shop for clothes I find something I really like that I did not plan to buy. I think if I use a list I can make myself stick to what is on the list, and not buy anything else.

12. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    As a young adult, I do not. Usually I visit the shopping mall with an intention to buy a certain type of clothing. For example, I could bring 20$ to buy a pair of jeans, but then see 2 shirts on sale. I feel as if making a list limits you to what you can purchase.

13. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like making lists for clothes shopping because for me, shopping for clothes is like a hobby or recreation. I don't like being limited by the list that I have. I also have self-control so I'm not scared that I will exceed my budget if I don't have a list.

Also, the best part of clothes shopping is when you just suddenly discover something nice. The best pieces of clothing that I have was actually bought when I was not intending to buy anything and I just happened to pass by the shop and saw them. That's really exciting.

14. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I just buy clothes for myself so I don’t have a list when shopping for clothes. I buy them on the spot when I like a certain clothing and it is within my budget. But usually I already have a design and clothing in mind when I go out for shopping but I don’t have a list because I buy only a few clothes for a certain week or month. My mom usually brings one because she buys a lot of clothes since she is always changing wardrobes.

15. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I always try to organize a list, and I usually make a pretty good one. Unfortunately for me I always get side-tracked and if I go shopping for pants I end up with 5 shirts. Lists are great if you can stick to them, but I tend to wander and forget what I'm doing when it comes to that aspect of shopping.

16. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I usually don't make a list, because if I don't find what I'm looking for, I end up being a little frustrated. I try to find pieces that go with other things I have, so that way even if it's something that I don't generally need right way, I know I'll wear it at some point. Or if I see an essential item that's good bargain, I might get a few to have handy.

17. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    People really do that? Maybe if I had a solid bank account I would probably do that if I want to create a certain wardrobe, but otherwise I just roam around shops and buy the clothes that seem nice to me.

18. Femiluv

FemiluvMember

Threads:
    I love lists and use them for almost everything, including shopping. I find that this is very helpful around the beginning of a season, or before going on a trip so I can figure out what I need to buy based on what I do not currently own. Lists are also super helpful so you do not forget what you need to get when you get to the sure and excitement kicks in.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will only make a list for clothing if I really need several items, which is very very rare, since I never have that much to spend. I will usually buy 2 or 3 items at once, rarely more. So I don't feel like I need a list if I'm only buying such few items. I can remember 2 or 3 items by heart!

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If I'm going in having a plan ready on what to buy then I probably would have a list but most of the time I just go to the mall and look at whatever catches my eye. Also this is very helpful when I'm not just buying for myself since it helps with organization and also budgeting.