Do you make any beauty or health products from scratch?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by True2marie • Dec 20, 2013.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen Diy segments on talk shows in which a person makes his or her own soap or lotion. I must admit that I do not make any personal hygiene products or beauty products. I prefer to catch sales from stores.

What about you?

[video=dailymotion;xg442r]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xg442r_how-to-make-100-natural-soap_school[/video]

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love making my own. I used to make my own lotions and creams and bubble bath and shampoo and conditioner and body butter and and and lol. But each ingredient is just as awesome on their own. I just love using oils now or a single butters or.. well, there's tons of foods worth slathering all over your body lol. I don't prefer mass produced skin care or beauty products any more. I don't like the companies behind them or the lies and omissions on the labels.. the things they get away with and we just eat it right up. I can't bring myself to support it now.

3. fairydust007

fairydust007New Member

Threads:
    I just learned how to make my own bar soap. I know of two different methods. I tried the cold method first. I will let you know if they came out well in 6 weeks. Depending on how they come out, I may try the hot method. I can definitely see it being cheaper, but it is very time consuming. I just love being crafty, so it's right up my alley. I would like to learn how to make my own other beauty products. I think it would be fun.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Soap is lots of fun, isn't it? Just knowing something like that is coming from your very own hands? You never really think of the process until you get into it and do it yourself. I think both processes have their place. I'm a little on the impatient side, so the hot process is convenient.. but as we know, the longer the cure, the better the bar. It's just so hard to let them sit! lol.

5. avasmom

avasmomMember

Threads:
    I have been making my own cold process soap for years. It is definitely not cheaper than buying a dozen bar pack at Costco, but I like knowing exactly what went into a product that I use on my skin every day.

6. fairydust007

fairydust007New Member

Threads:
    I feel like it could be cheaper. In my first batch I was able to cut out 32 bars. I did not pay as much as I would have if I bought from a store. We'll see how it comes out, though. I think if I get good at this I could use them for gifts. I think it's fun. Before I try the hot process, I want to get a crock pot specifically for soap making. I can't see myself making soap and food in the same crock pot LOL!

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it is best to have two crock pots, I agree you do not want to make soap in the pot you cook food in. Making soap is fun and you can avoid unwanted chemicals in your soap if you make it yourself. Although a label may say all natural you can not always be sure. This can be a fun thing to do even if you don't save money.

8. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    My sister made her own body lotion for awhile because she wanted to only use all natural products. This lasted about 6 weeks because not only was it somewhat time consuming it was also more expensive than just going out and buying from a store exactly what she wanted. At the end of the day she didn't enjoy it enough to keep doing it and gave up.