Do You Make Homemade Valentine's Goodies Or Buy Them?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Verity Darkwaters • Jan 23, 2016.

1. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Valentine's Day is coming up and I was curious if y'all made the goodies you give to others or if you bought them.

Personally I started making them. I would make heart pancakes and bacon roses for breakfast and make pretty chocolate covered strawberries. I bought gourmet chocolates one year and they were not that great. I was severely disappointed.

What about you guys? Also, would you be opposed if your spouse or lover made you homemade goodies (as long as they were edible :p) instead of buying them?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually make pretty much everything homemade. In the past, I've made cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc. One year I made my boyfriend fortune cookies and typed up my own fortunes to put in them. That was pretty romantic, and he appreciated it. I probably won't be making much this year, although perhaps I'll indulge myself with some yummy crepes. I won't make them chocolate, though, probably lemon or raspberry, since those are my favorite crepe flavors.

3. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I like to make gift baskets and paper crafts. One year I made a naughty coupon book. This year I'd like to experiment with sugar free treats.

4. Verity Darkwaters

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane I have never made fortune cookies. That might be fun to put love notes or naughty notes in them. What about a white chocolate raspberry crepe? That might be good and doesn't have TOO much chocolate. ;) @jneanz@jneanz Those are too cute. I made a naughty coupon book with some non-naughty things too. They're fun and cute and well..he liked it. I haven't really tried sugar free treats. I know of a few recipes, but it could be healthier to go no sugar. Are you talking about like natural like fruits and what not or using a substitute?

5. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I thought trying agave nectar with egg whites and rice flour would be different. Truth I don't remember if my now ex appreciated the coupon book. However that gives me an idea for my Etsy page.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not know how to cook or make anything, so I just usually buy them in stores or online, whichever is cheaper. I could try making my own gifts if I eventually learned how to cook in the future.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Retailers often [around Valentine's day] hike up the prices of "valentine goodies" because they know people who are in love won't mind buying anything no matter how ridiculously priced it is. It's valentine's after all. Make them at home and save some money. That's what my SO and I always did back when I still celebrated Valentine's day.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will admit that I have bought mine this year, because I don't have the time to make anything - but usually I will make everything that I give to people, as I find that those are the gifts that really mean the most to people. I usually make things that people can eat, as that is often the most appreciated.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's a recipe for

, in case anyone is interested in trying to make them for Valentine's Day or another occasion. White chocolate raspberry sounds good for Valentine's Day @Verity Darkwaters@Verity Darkwaters. I tend to stick with fruit and citrus ones for myself. Here's a cute idea for hot chocolate gifts you can make to give as gifts, and it comes with a free printable:

10. Verity Darkwaters

Threads:
    @Diane Lane@Diane Lane Thank you so much for the recipe and the cocoa gift instructions. Those are just so cute! I would have never thought of doing stuff like this. @Denis Hard@Denis Hard I would rather celebrate after because you are right! Everything is much more expensive until afterwards and then it is 50% off of chocolate!

11. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    We usually do just buy, but we got a Betty Crocker calendar that has one recipe for every month. For February it has cupcakes with little hearts on them. So I think this year I'll make mine instead of buying it! I think it makes it more special that way.

12. Verity Darkwaters

Threads:
    I feel the same way @shoptodrop@shoptodrop! I may have to pick up a Betty Crocker calendar, that would be fun to have a monthly recipe. You can't go wrong with cupcakes! So, are the hearts like in the cake, sprinkles, or like one of those cute chocolate or candy toppers?