Do You Make The Gifts On Your Own?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by kaka135 • May 29, 2017.

1. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I think making gifts is one of the ways to save money, unless the materials used are very expensive. I started to make gifts on my own since I learned how to crochet and knit a few years ago, so I don't spend money buying gifts anymore.

I bought the yarns from Taobao, the famous Chinese online website, which are quite affordable. The only disadvantage is it might take days or weeks to make the gifts. But I think it's always nice to receive handmade gifts.

Do you make your own gifts? What do you make?

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Not so much anymore but I used to. I used to have a job working with kids and so we did a bunch of crafts, and it worked perfectly because I could make some easy gifts, not for the important people but still.

3. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I too make gifts on my own as it will not only save money but also it will be touching and will become special to the person we are gifting. It will be a way to express our love for the person. :)

4. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea to save money (depending on the gift that will be made, of course), but I really don't have that kind of skill. I'd rather buy something simple or promotional. :D

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's wonderful if you're good at crafting to make gifts. My cousin is like you, all corners matching so neat and she gives us gifts she makes and I like them! I don't have the knack for it, so I buy gifts. I shop around in retail stores,which I monitor a lot for once I thought I was there for just 10 min. and when I looked at my watch it was 30 mins already:D! So I window shop online and in retail stores keeping a close eye on my time, lol!

6. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's unique way and yes we can save the money by that way. It is kind of special feeling to when we receive something. So both ways it is good. Though I have never tried it to make any gift. In the past I have tried to make a card for my mom, but it was okay. But yes she was very happy with it. May be in the future I will try for something like this.

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I made a memory book for my mum once. It was a photo album which consisted of photos I collected from different stages of her life, her friends,family and pets. She loved it and said it was the best present she had ever received. She died but I kept the book because it makes me think of her and how happy she was in her life.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do make gifts for people in my life. I once made a scrapbook for my sister that was pictures of her dogs that had passed away. They were her children and she loved the book. It even made her cry which is a very hard things to do to my sister. I have made other gifts for her over the years. I also have my children make homemade gifts for her and their grandma. I think gifts mean more when they are handmade because they take more time and thought to give just the right gift. I think it is great doing this with my kids because it lets them be creative and use their imagination, but also as a way of bonding with the person they are creating the gift for. They have to think about the reasons why they love that person and it gives them a way of expressing themselves to that person.

9. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not into crafts in general, so even if I know how to cross-stitch, I still won't consider giving a hand-made gift. There are many cheap small items that can be given as gifts like a small pillow for example, so it's more convenient to just buy gifts rather than make them.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    It seems you have a talent on this, and I am sure your creation are very nice. Unfortunatly I don't know to crochet and knit, or have any other skill to make nice gifts, so, Imust buy a gift any time is nedeed to make one.

11. PAYAKNAPAGIISIP

PAYAKNAPAGIISIPActive Member

Threads:
    I did my best in making my own gift to my loved ones, sad to say, I guess I don't have the talent for that. I always picture something in my mind how it would look like, and after I'm done, I was nowhere near how I imagine it would be. Still, I didn't give up the dream of being creative. I just don't give them anymore.

12. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon RasheedMember

Threads:
    I have made many gifts in my life for my friends and family members.I have made many things such as wood doll,a flower bucket and a memory book etc.Its a nicer way to show your love and care for others in your surroundings.One can become more creative and affectionate by making some special gifts for his beloved relatives and friends.

13. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This mainly bothers on one's craftsmanship. It's skill set that actually allows one to be able to make his own gift. This is really a good thing that once you are good at it, it allows you freedom to even make some money off such gifts should you decide to sell.

I have a specialty in beads making. I can craft necklace, ear rings and bangles with beads of different colors. On starting the work, it looks funny and uninteresting but once getting to the finishing point of it is when it's beauty comes to fruition.

I would advice any young lad in the world of today to look for a skill in craftsmanship to posses because it's something that would never be at a disadvantage to such person but rather only good could come from it.

Attached Files:

14. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not very good at craft and the many special people in my life are just too young to appreciate them so I don't try to make gifts on my own. I also don't have time to do it. I'd like to learn to cross-stitch though, but it's expensive to have it framed so if ever, I'll give it to myself as a gift. Craft making isn't really cheap here, but they'll make memorable gifts for older people who can appreciate the value of the time and the effort you put into making the gift. Younger people usually prefer to receive cash, gadget, or new clothes.

15. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Kaka135, I really appreciate the efforts you take to make gifts for your friends and loved ones. It is so much more personal than buying readymade gifts. I am not really a crafts person although I can sew well but never thought of making gifts in such a way.

@Nicholas, I really like the lovely beads bracelet you have made, I think beading craft is a very traditional craft in your country, isn't it? It is so lovely and intricate in design.