Do You Make Toys, Clothes, Beds, Etc. For Your Pets?

Discussion in Pets started by Zyni • May 1, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you ever make your own handmade items for your pets, such as baking them special treats or food or making little sweaters and such? There are also some really cute patterns online for pet beds and toys as well.

Do you usually just buy things for your pets or have you tried your hand at making some pet items as well? I've made a couple things over the years, but I don't have any pets these days. I still sometimes make things for other people's pets though.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We did try to make a few things for our cat - a bed, and a kind of a hideout place/"nest" out of a box (because, I mean, she's a cat, and we all know how cats love boxes), but she doesn't usually care. Even when we bought her a scratching and resting post, she just picked an old box as a place to sleep. So we gave her some blankets there so it won't get cold, and she's happy.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The idea of making a cat or dog bed for your pet is always a good one. The options in stores are often lackluster and of a low quality. For a similar price, you can create something that's just nice looking, far more affordable, and a lot more comfortable for your pet.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really make toys, clothes, etc for my pets. However, I do "repurpose" old things to make stuff for them. For instance, I use old throw pillows as their pet beds. We live in a tropical country, so my cats don't really like pet beds when the temperature is high. But when it's cold, they love cuddling on the old throw pillows.

5. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve had friends who do it, but I’m not the craftiest person so I’ve never done it. Plus my cat seems to prefer boxes or plain old blankets/pillows for sleeping, old ribbons for playing, and things like that. Do balled-up foil wrappers as toys count as handmade items? No? Dang it. Kidding aside, it does mean I don’t have to spend much to keep my cat comfortable and entertained. I’ve also had friends who have hand-made items for pets before and I do think it’s a nice gesture.

6. dawnolsen

dawnolsenMember

Threads:
    I make my dogs their own pillows to sleep on. I like to pick a soft fabric such as fleece and then I sew it together and stuff it with pillow stuffing. My dogs love having a pillow to sleep on and I save a lot of money making it myself. Plus, I love to sew so it gives me a nice project to do.