Do You Make Your Own Animal Feed?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by remnant • May 16, 2016.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Animal feeds are becoming increasingly expensive forcing farmers to look for alternatives. One cheap alternative is to grow desmodium plants amongst napier grass bushes. When harvesting napier, the desmodium acts as a source of proteins for increased milk production saving money which could have been used to buy dairy meal. Mixing this fodder with molasses completes the nutritional equation. Do you make your own animal feeds?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have chickens at home, but my dad buys chicken feed for those chickens, and I don't think they are that expensive. I think it's more convenient to buy chicken feed if you are buying the cheapest kind.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our neighbor has some loose chickens in their yard. When I inquired on the feed, they buy from the market the usual growing mash and grains. And when the chickens were frown up, the feed is crushed corn and palay. But sometimes they buy fresh lettuce that they cut in small bits for feeding the chickens.

With making the chicken feed, our neighbors say you only do that if you have a poultry otherwise it is wasted effort and buying chicken feed in the market saves you time, effort and money.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well the only animal I have right now is my cat. I don't make my own cat food but I know some people do. I know some people who are on TV talk about making chicken feed from corn and marigold. I think that would give your chickens a pleasing yellow color when they are cooked. I think corn and marigold would be good.