Do you mend your Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Oct 1, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you usually sew or mend your clothes or the clothing that belongs to your family members? When something is torn or otherwise damaged, do you try to repair it? I've saved more than a few items with a good old needle and thread (or the sewing machine, if needed). How much money do you think you have saved my mending clothes?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is hard to say how much I have saved over the years because I know how to repair my clothing. I often go to the 2nd hand store to get items and I am surprised to see people throw out good items because they need to be repaired. Something as simple as a hem or replace a button. My mother was very skilled as a seamtress, when I was young she made me learn to sew and repair my clothes.

3. MomFirst

MomFirstNew Member

Threads:
    I have to be honest and say that it depends on the time I have available. I often try to be more thrifty, as I was raised to be. My grandmother still knits and sews all kind of things from adding designs to the things around the house (like sheets and towel embroidery) to making scarfs, hats, and blankets for all of her grandchildren. I was taught to not waste because there were people who don't have, and when I'm grow out of shoes and clothing to donate them, not just trash them.

I think because these days we're enslaved to time (younger generations) we do things the fast way. My elders call us "The Microwave Generation" we want what we want and we want it fast! I do think there have been many advances in technology due to this way of thinking but it has not necessarily been the best way to approach every thing, all the time. When time permits in my busy home, I do get a chance to mend buttons or sew up a tear in relatively new clothing. I usually just donate the clothing that's worn to the homeless.

I think it's a good practice to mend what can fixed to be able to save where you can. I also think it's best to shop thrifty and for sales so that if something isn't able to be mended you won't be as disappointed by the loss in the item and the loss in your pocket.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we mend our clothes or take them to have them mended. It depends on if the clothes get ripped on a seam or not as to whether it is worth it to have it mended. I have one hat in particular this is looking terrible, but I just can't seem to find one I like as much and so I keep asking my friend to patch it up for me. I'm starting to look like a hobo though so I need to find a new one. Sometimes you just have to say goodbye, but its nice to stitch things up if you can.

5. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I began to mend my clothing since being under employed. Years ago, I had less time because I was working time and a half on a teaching job. I would take my clothing to the tailor at my local dry cleaners. Now, I will sew, hem, or mend any rips by using a simple needle and thread.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It all depends on how bad the damage is. If it is just a rip or tear, a missing button or a hole, I will fix it. But usually I am not all that worried about it unless it is a piece of clothing that I need for work, or some precious piece that I like to wear for special occasions. It's my partner's mother who fusses about these things. She usually fixes my damaged clothes without even asking me, as she is a seamstress.

#6Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I do. Though I am not very good when it comes to sewing, I still try my best to repair clothes. Nowadays, clothes are a bit expensive, so throwing them away just because they are torn or frayed is a waste of money.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If it's just a minor damage then I probably would, or if it's bigger than I can handle I'd maybe even take it to a tailor. Though, I'd only really do it for clothes that are expensive or are my favorite. Otherwise, I'd probably just let it go, unless, like I said the damage is minor enough for me to fix.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Apart from sewing a button here and there I don't know much about mending clothes. My mother however in an expert with the needle and thread so all my clothes that need mending end up in her hands. Common 'repairs' include replacing zippers or adjusting the waist - it's wiser/less expensive to mend clothes in such a way rather than rush and buy new ones, especially when they're in good condition.

10. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I don't do the actual mending myself but I do get my clothes mended if it's only a minor tear or general wear.
    Of course that after some time the clothes are more mending than clothing, so it's time to retire it :)

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    This is what I always do. I always sew back torn clothes because I feel that they can still be worn and it'd be a waste to throw them away because of a little tear. I'm a stingy person so I dislike wasting money unnecessarily. My handiwork may not look top notch but it's fine as long as it works.

12. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing, everyone. :D

H.C. and Strykster, you both made me laugh, and Momfirst, you gave me a lot to think about. I guess time is money, as they say. In an "I want it now" world, things look a little different as well.

I still mend though, lol. I just can't toss something if it only needs a little love. I like to repair things before I donate them as well. I don't mend every single thing first, but if it really needs attention, I try to take care of it.

13. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do, I even mend tights if the hole is higher than the knee or on the toe. I try to make my clothes last as long as possible and only throw them away when they are totally worn out. Sometimes, if the fabric is right, I will then recycle them as rags. Only 100% cotton works for rags though, polyester is not absorbent enough to be effective in cleaning. Most clothes wear around the seems first I've noticed, so it's really easy to just resew a popped seam and make it look like there was never a problem.

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I am not a seamstress by any means, but I can fix a hem or sew a button on and even fix a rip in a seam. My mom taught me those things. :) If I need to I do it. I don't mind and it normally only takes me a few minutes to fix instead or throwing them away or taking them to the seamstress for her to fix. These days that can be very expensive! I remember a few years back bringing a pair of jeans to be hemmed and the cost to hem them was more than the actual jeans!!

After that I knew I had to learn the basics!! :)

Danyel :)