Do you mod your computer?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by daimashin • Aug 19, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm sure a lot of you are aware that many PC enthusiasts like to mod their rig with lights and other things. How many of you are like that and are actually willing to take the time and effort to make your computer look as cool as possible? I don't mind to have one of such computers but I don't think I'll have the determination to do something like this.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't mod my pc because I still don't know how to assemble a CPU yet, but I have always wanted to learn how to do it, I just don't have the time to sit down and study it thoroughly. I'm not really that interested in rigging the pc with lights or other stuff, because for me, if it has nice specs then I'm content already.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I no longer have a desktop computer. I purely use a laptop for all my processing needs.

Anyways, I have never tried modding any computer before because I don't know how to. Haha.

Some of my friends know how to mod computers though. One even built a computer that's purely for gaming. It's so powerful that it could play any game that comes out on the market without any hiccups.

I'd like to learn how to mod a PC one day. They say it's a lot cheaper than buying a new one.

4. vxacid

vxacidNew Member

Threads:
    I built my last computer, but I currently use my Macbook Pro for all my computing needs. It's not difficult at all; in fact, in cat be described as "Lego for big boys." :p Absolutely every part comes with a bunch of incredibly detailed manuals and instructions. Pretty much anybody can do it; all you need to do is be careful not to drop anything, do everything in the right environment (i.e. not on a carpet), and be aware of any risks. It doesn't require a lot of technological knowledge, and I think that everybody should do it just to become a bit more "tech-savvy". If you're using your computer every day, then you should absolutely know how it works!

5. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Full on mod no. I don't think I can handle what those hardcore PC guys can do, putting lights and super cooling devices on their PC's. But if you count over clocking as modding then I'd say yeah I've mod mine.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've seen examples of these and I could never understand it. I personally would rather just hide my CPU as much as possible and putting lights on it and making it visually louder is very unappealing to me. That's just my preference though, and I understand that some people have different tastes. I'm the same way with cars too, I prefer to keep it simple, and I'm guessing that these are the type of people that would much rather pimp out their cars if they had the chance.

7. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I have never modded my computer before but I have seen things like water coolers and lights. I did have fan lights in the desktop prior to the one I have now. It looks like for me however, I'm moving away from desktops; my friend gave me his old rig and I'm going to build a computer for my younger sibling using the combination of my current computer and the gifted computer, then I'm switching to a MacBook.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I knew how to mod but it seems rather complicated. I hear that it's cheaper to do and you can get exactly what you want. However I would mod for specs. I'm not interested much in aesthetics on a computer.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    All the modding I ever did was on my computer case. It started with stickers when I was younger and then I slowly started to learn how to custom paint. It's really easy -I make some stencils in photoshop, decide what colors I want to use and get working :D Lights and other bling I don't buy, they tend to be expensive and I'd rather invest all the money in more hardware or other things I need.

10. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    Currently I own a laptop, so since it is too hard to mod, I don't even bother. Back when I used to own desktop towers, I would mod them constantly. Everything from adding more Ram and HDD to upgrading from a usb 1 to a usb 2 controller. I feel like now a days, the only people that mod are gamers and the occasional programmer types. It certainly has fallen out of the norm.

11. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I used think it would be nice to have a computer that looks cool, but I'm just interested in performance now. No ones going to see my computer and I wouldn't bother sharing it. It seems pointless because it just comes down to how much money you have. I don't really like flashy things as well. I just like using things for their purpose and am not interested in showing them off.

12. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    Switched to laptop completely a long time ago. :)

13. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My brother does that to my computer whenever he upgrades his wares. I got the secondhand upgrades for a while until I swithched to laptop about two years ago. I'm glad I did as it had significant reduction on my electric bill.

14. tzbt827

tzbt827Member

Threads:
    I've never modded any of my hardware before, mainly because I've felt no reason to before as i've never had great equipment to make the modifying even noticable. It is something i'd definitely consider in the future when I get a better PC.

15. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    No. I've never had the courage to do that I'm afraid that I will make some mistake and render my computer completely useless. But I do however do some simple mods like putting extra fans and cooling system stuff like that but as for those glowing things and other crazy mods, well you can count me out of that.

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope, I don't think I have the skill set to mod a computer. I can add and upgrade its parts but that's about it when it comes to me festering with my computer's parts.