Do You Need To Upgrade Before Getting Free Windows 10?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Zyni • Feb 25, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you need to do any upgrades to your computer, you might want to do them before downloading your free copy of Windows 10. While many people already have the new operating system, some of us waited.

Microsoft may not recognize your system as being yours if you upgrade any major components. You may then not be able to use the same copy of the OS. You may end up having to purchase a copy. Well, at least that's how things sometimes worked with this company in the past (not recognizing your system after upgrades and wanting you to purchase another copy of the OS).

Don't want to waste the freebie!

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What's your computer's operating system? Based on experience, it's free and automatically downloads for Windows 7. My current OS is Windows 7 and September of last year, I managed to download and convert it to Windows 10 after almost 2 days of installation. It was fine and smooth-sailing at first until I installed a rooted Blue Stacks app reader software. My laptop simply went blank. I tried to reboot it but my efforts failed and I ended up accidentally deleting thousands of files in my drive D. That's half my life in there.

So here's my point: Windows 10 is free and easy to download but it's not perfect. Apparently, it's still in its beta stage. The Microsoft company's giving free upgrades for testing purposes. So be careful with what you download and backup your files in case the newly installed OS isn't compatible with your other programs or your computer itself.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, that's why I waited. I'm hoping that by the time I need to go ahead and get it while it's free, the bugs will be worked out a bit better.

I have Windows 7. I heard that a lot of people have had issues. Also, that a lot of permissions are tuned on by default and need to be turned off.

My computer could use a few upgrades though. It's been a little while. I just want to get them done before I mess with the "free" (we shall see how "free" it really ends up being) download. MS doesn't tend to recognize new hardware, and then wants you to buy a new key. I just don't want to deal with all of that. I'll save myself the cost of W10 by doing the upgrades first.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think upgrading from windows 7 and 8 is probably the safest since they advertised it that way and I guess they assume that it's what most windows users are on. I had a laptop on windows 8 and I upgraded mine to 10 with no problems at all. I just downloaded something overnight and by the time I woke up my computer was ready and had a new OS. I am not at all good at this type of stuff so I was a bit hesitant at first but from the comments I've read it seemed easy enough and I was willing to risk it because I kind of hated windows 8.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the heads up, OP. I have had my reservations about W10, and even more as I have not yet upgraded to it. Every time I boot my laptop up, I get a prompt asking me to upgrade, which I have not done yet and don't intend to do until I absolutely have to.