Do You Own A Ladder?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by thisnthat • Oct 28, 2016.

1. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Do you have a ladder at home? I need to get one, and I'm not sure what to look for, what a good price might be, or where I should shop for one.

I'll probably start out by comparing prices and models at the home improvement centers, since we have both a Home Depot and a Lowe's that are close to each other. There is also a Walmart near there, so I could check their hardware department as well.

If you have a ladder, what kind do you have? What's a good price for a decent one if you don't mind sharing that info? Thanks!

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many types of ladders, but yes, one is necessary for things such as changing light bulbs. You haven't said what you want the ladder for, because while most ladders can be used indoors, there are ones that are heavy duty for outdoor use (by roofers).

I think Home Depot is the best as you can't go wrong with it, and they always have discount codes and coupons. We have a metal one with a sturdy platform to stand on. I would look at one with gripped steps as they are much better and safer to use.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We seldom use ladder at home. We are ready to make an improvised ladder when we have to repair our ceiling, our lamps or whatever we do which we need a ladder. Though ladder is one of the important helper at home. However, I have seen otheer people who are buying ladder and they usually get the ladder which is made of aluminum for easy to carry, to transport. It is light weight. I don't what is the price for it.

4. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    We don't own a ladder but we do design an improvised one at short notice. This is done by laying two parallel poles of wood on the ground. They should be of equal measurements. Then nail short pieces of timber at intervals to join the pieces of wood together.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    No we don't but when we need one we just borrow or rent one. I don't have space to put it in and rarely even need it. You can always make your own with wood, I don't know how to make one myself but I have seen others do so.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Good point. I really just want one that can kind of be "one size fits all," so I can use it indoors and outside. I don't really need anything so big or so sturdy as a roofer's ladder. Just a basic, average sized one. I think aluminum would be good, for the lightweight aspect.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Home Depot for codes and stuff. I wasn't aware of that. I don't generally look at their website a whole lot, since there is a store in the city I visit weekly. I usually just pop in there or Lowe's if I need something. I should check the site though for the coupons and such, and also to get a better idea before I go shopping.

It's hard for me to walk for very long and those places are huge and usually have concrete floors. It would be better to know what I want first as well as finding out if there is a discount available. Oh, maybe I can order online and just have it ready for pick up when I get there. That would be great.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know when you sign up for emails they gave me 10 percent off, and as Black Friday is coming up I'm sure there will be more. I'm not sure if you have an Aldi near you, but they do ladders too. I found this one, but it's in the UK, but it should give you an idea of what you are looking for.

I saw these on Home Depot;

This one is on sale at under $40:

8. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Good to know, thanks. I'll have to sign up with my other email address (that I keep for spam) and check it out. I might just get a bargain.

Aldi isn't real close by, but I do get there from time to time. I really like the idea of that ladder. It looks like it would be much easier to store. I haven't seen any at our Aldi, but I'll keep an eye out for them just in case.

Okay, $40.00 sounds a little more like it for me. A ladder is something that would be handy, but it isn't something that we need all the time, so I don't want to spend much on it. Aluminum sounds good, so it's nice and light. I really wasn't sure what a good price would be, but in comparing the ones you posted (thanks), I'm leaning toward the lower end of the price range.

9. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I own a ladder I hand-made from wood. It's very sturdy but it isn't foldable so it takes a bit of space. I found this latter but it's rather short though there are longer ladders on display

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have 2 of the tall stepstools that are basically small ladders, as well as a few of the smaller fixed ones that don't fold. I don't have a tall ladder, although occasionally I could use one. One of the two taller stepstools is made of aluminum and is very lightweight, but one of the steps is a half step, which makes me a big nervous, since my balance isn't that great. That is the one I use the most though, because it's easiest for me to move around. The other one is heavy metal and although it's a pain to drag it around, I feel very secure when I'm up on it, so that's the one I use when I'm outside changing bulbs.

One thing I don't have but would really like to get at some point, is an emergency escape ladder. I would like to keep it on the balcony, in case I needed to escape from the upstairs, and couldn't go down the stairs. I've checked into them in the past, but the good, solid, stable ones tend to be expensive, and are currently out of my budget.

11. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I have an aluminium ladder at home which is foldable too. It is easy to store and use. I spent $45 towards buying it but I think it is not a loss as it is a really useful thing for me. There were many other models in the shop which was really cheap but I insist on quality when things like this. What if it breaks down when we are on the top.

I think you should look at how badly you need one or if you don't need one on a regular basis you may explore the possibility of hiring one. Good aluminium ladders are somewhat costly, but it does worth for the price. You should focus more on the quality and material used than price alone.

12. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have my own ladder at home because any time that I need one I just borrow one off a family member or friend. Ladders these days, and especially the good quality ones, can be expensive and for the amount of time I need them, I can't really justify the expense as they will just be lay there chained up for most of the year.

If we are concerned about saving money, even though items like ladders are obviously going to be useful, I'm not sure that many people who do buy them will say they got value for money and maybe wished they'd either borrowed or hired them instead.

13. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    We do own 2 ladders, one is made of wood and another one is made of bamboo. Both are rarely used and are just dumped in the backyard. You can also try checking out Ace Hardware, they might have other ladders that are cheaper than the ones that you saw.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread reminds me of our neighbor's garage sale. She forced my wife to buy her ladder for $10. My wife couldn't refuse because our neighbor had sent the ladder to our home and called to tell my wife that the ladder is special so she reserved it for us.

Until now we still have that aluminum ladder which is very useful.

15. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a ladder but I seldom need it. Whenever there is a need we borrow it from the neighbourhood or ask the electrician to bring one along.

Unless you have its frequent need I don't see why should you buy it.

16. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You lucky tall people who don't need a ladder. We on the other hand only 4' 11" so we do need ladders. We lived over 5 decades so we've been through some ladders. Currently we have a tall one that folds up only so we have it on the outside wall of my bathroom very easily to access for us shorties to get to things and to clean things. We also have a 2 step plastic stepper that was on sale so we got it. Our ladder was bought on sale too, so we saved a lot of money. Locally we have a City Mill for much of home use or Home Depot and Lowes that gives us sales always on ladders and so much more. Glad they came to Hawaii. :D:p:)