Do you own an e-reader?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Kek • Aug 21, 2014.

1. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently been thinking about purchasing a used Kindle after I sort our my money situation. They aren't pricey at all and can store a lot of e-books. Amazon sells them for a loss because they make a lot of money selling all those e-books. But there are so many classics out there that re freely available on websites like the Gutenberg project and similar. Even Amazon has different e-books available for free every day!

Do you own an e-book reader? Would you recommend it to anyone else? What are the main benefits of using one? Do you dislike it for any reason?

Thank you for your answers!

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, we own an Amazon Kindle e-reader but it is one of the newer versions so it also has the ability to do video. We received it as a gift so did not do a lot of price comparison before purchasing. I do think it is better to stick within a budget than to worry about getting the most updated equipment. If you have never had an e-reader before, then buy something simple, learn how to use it, and then you will better know the functions you desire to have on it. Each device has different features - half of which the common user will never bother using. So it is better to start off simple and clean, then add on things as you learn about them. You might want to make sure to check how you will download though: will it be wi-fi, 3G plug in, etc? This could be a problem for you in using it depending on your internet connection. Check to see what kind of SD card or USB ports it has. I have noticed a great deal of devices being advertised that don't have easy ways to upload the books on them.

3. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the follow-up. I believe all kindles have the ability to connect to wi-fi. We have a wi-fi network at home, so it won't be a problem to get e-books onto the e-reader. I believe Kindles also have a micro-USB port that can be used to connect to the computer. So I could also move the books from my computer to the machine without a problem. I'll make sure to check what kind of ports it has when I decide to buy one.

4. donding

dondingNew Member

Threads:
    I don't personally own one, but I have some friends who let me borrow theirs and I absolutely love the Kindle! For one, it feels like there is a whole lot less eye strain when I read using the Kindle. Also, the battery life is amazing. I don't have to worry about whether I need to recharge my eReader before I go out. And another advantage with the kindle is that since you can fit so many books inside, you can carry a much lighter load when you are working on a project and reading the instructions at the same time.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use any e-reader because I already have my trusty Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It has 5.5 inch screen that's actually a joy to use when reading eBooks. I don't find it practical to bring a Kindle with me just to read books then bring a Note 2.

However, there are times when I find it a bit irritating when reading using my Note 2 since I have to zoom in and out at times especially when reading PDF and cbr files. These are times when I wish I had a Kindle since it has a larger screen. Still, I think that a phablet is more than enough to use for reading eBooks.

I think eReaders are perfect for schools though...

6. wvboarder

wvboarderMember

Threads:
    No but I've been looking into it. The major reason I haven't really dove into that ocean is because I like reading real books. I have an Amazon Prime membership now so I may actually look into an ereader to take advantage of their book rentals. There are so many to choose from now.

7. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't even consider buying an e-book if I had a 5.5 inch phablet! But most of us don't have a phone that big, so I still decided to ask. I have a normal-sized smartphone, but reading a book on there might cause a lot of eye strain. I would much rather use an e-book reader, since it's just like reading a book! Well, really close to it to be honest. Nothing beats the smell of real paper, and nothing ever will.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't have an e-reader. I did buy a Kindle Fire for my niece for Christmas. She eventually grew bored with it. Now she reads ebooks via a Kindle app on her smartphone. It was a waste of money.

I have the Kindle app on my phone. I also have the Kindle app on my laptop.

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    e-Readers are great little devices, assuming you don't want a tablet, which is much more than an e-Reader. The basic Kindle devices are great for reading books, and I'd recommend buying one if you're an avid reader. Don't get a tablet if you don't need one because the basic e-Reader as a standalone device is great for readers and incredibly affordable. A tablet with extra functions and features is only going to distract you from all those great books.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own an e-reader because I'm content with reading e-books on my phone and on the pc, so for me I think I would not be able to use it as much and it would be a waste of money too, because I already have 2 devices that can do the job perfectly well. I guess when I become a bookworm that reads lots of books on the go then I will consider buying e-readers.