Do You Own Any Paid Smartphone Apps?

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Ruth • Mar 5, 2014.

1. Ruth

RuthMember

Threads:
    As there's so many free apps available for both iOS and Android, I don't see why would anyone pay for a smartphone app. That being said, I'm sure you can already imagine that I haven't paid for a single app in my life, but have you?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit that bulk of the apps that are installed in my mobile phone is free. However there are also a number of paid apps installed. Here's my list of paid apps:

Virtua Tennis - this probably is the best sports game for mobile devices
    ePSXe - a very good PS1 emulator
    Real Boxing - an amazing boxing game for Android
    ASC Screen Recorder - I need this for my mobile app and game videos.

3. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I have some paid games and some audio editing apps on my phone, and some paid fitness apps. They were completely worth the money! I found the free versions of those same apps to be annoyingly full of ads and limitations, so I felt like springing for it. Didn't regret that decision in the slightest, as I get a lot more use out of them if I'm not waiting for ads to load.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I definitely DO see why people would pay for apps. While I think there are a lot of unnecessary ones and there tend to be a lot free options available, there are also some really good paid versions that are amazing. I think if it's an app that you're going to be using daily or at least regularly, and it makes your life easier or better in some way, then spending a few bucks on it is perfectly acceptable.

That being said, no, I still haven't purchased any apps myself. I can think of some that would be nice to have the premium versions of them if I were going to use them more frequently or extensively, though.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I never paid for any apps other than for games sold on the appstore. Yes, there is one which is PlayerXtreme because it can play all sorts of media formats. I've also bought a couple of games like Infinity Blade 2, Man of Steel, Shadow Blades, Vector, and Double Dragon. Most of the games, I didn't complete because I get bored with them really quick.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think most people even think about buying apps on the stores. I think for every day work, free apps will just do the job. I think the developers earn money through their adsense account on Google Play Store and a different platform for Apple. I am thinking of developing an app that might give me some income in future.

7. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    The majority of the applications on my phone are free, I don't have much spending money and don't use my phone that often. The one paid app I have is Final Fantasy III, I love the game and it is one of the few games my phone can play. It was pretty cheap and it was on sale so I figured why not? It is a great game and I'd recommend getting it if you have some extra cash!

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    I bought SwiftKey, definitely worth the tiny amount I paid for it. Generally I agree that there are free apps which are more than good enough, sometimes even better than the paid ones. SwiftKey is the only one I've bought and will probably remain the only one for quite a while.

9. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    No. I do not own any paid apps on my Smart Phone. I would never pay for an app because there are too many free alternatives. It just seems like a waste of money to me. I get that people are trying to make money for apps they created, but i refuse to pay for something that i can legally have for free.

10. Hero0o

Hero0oNew Member

Threads:
    There are not many people who buy apps. Infact some people get paid for downloading or/and using different apps.
    I know some guys who are making hundreds each month by just using different apps. And also its not that, those apps are useless; some of them are pretty nice to use.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't paid any for any apps. Because most paid apps out there either have a free counterpart or just not worth buying. Although some apps are pretty nice, and they're so nice that once you hit that 'Ooops! You have to pay to access this feature' you get bummed out. But I haven't find or installed an app that is good enough to make me spend a dollar just to have it. I mean, I can't think of any app that is exclusive and really useful enough to spend money on, I mean there's really not much you can do with a phone. If one day they made an app that can turn my phone into an actual working x-ray, then I would definitely pay for it.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have all that many apps installed on my android and I definitely don't like to pay for the ones I have got because, quite frankly, I can live quite easily without apps.
    What was the world like before smartphone apps? My answer to that is: it was a whole lot more natural...

13. bms00

bms00Member

Threads:
    I won't pay for a smartphone app. Or for downloaded music for that matter. My rule is I don't pay for anything I can't see. I suppose that makes me an old man at 32!

14. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really bought any smartphone apps. There aren't many paid apps that I'm even interested in paying for when I have all the free apps I want and need. The only one I bought was a browser called Flashfox Pro for Android and I use it because it's a better equipped browser in terms of viewing flash content. If I pay for another app, it will most likely be a game app.

15. TomRalphio

TomRalphioNew Member

Threads:
    I use Tasker to automate various things on my phone. It turns on my wifi and connects when I enter my house and turns it off when I leave. And when I enter my car, it automatically connects to the music system via bluetooth and turns on the music player. And this is just one of the simple things it can do, the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Additionally, I have Shuttle+ which is a great music player. The quality is great, and it's a gorgeous looking app. The developer is really active and keeps pushing updates.

16. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    If games count as apps then I have several, though for other things I found the free stuff works just as well. If games do count then I have Shining Force and Streets of Rage 2. Streets of Rage 2 disapointed me because of the controls, way too awkward for a beat em up! Shining Force is pretty good too and does not feel too bad to play on the phone.

17. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I guess what I don't get is why so many people pay for apps that are games. There really are so many games out there that are free. I can sort of see productivity apps and apps for business needs, but games?

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any paid apps on my smartphone. I do have an organization and productivity apps that is free. If the author offered a paid version of the app, I would pay for it a heartbeat. Right now, I have to input information via my phone. I would definitely pay for a website that syncs with the app.

19. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    The only app I've paid for is the game Tiny Wings. I can't remember what possessed me to buy this, but I just adore that fat little bird. It was 99 cents or so. I don't play a lot of games on my phone, and I don't know that I would buy anymore. I'm glad I bought this game, but in general it's not really worth my money right now.

20. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I could understand investing in a productivity app. There are so many programs that can make a difference in how you use your workday or how you stay organized in life that are worth spending money on. I just don't get people spending a monthly amount on games.