Do You Pack Lunch?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nwitt • Apr 28, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I personally pack lunch almost every single day. There is many one day out of the month that I purchase lunch at work, but I'm also not really in a very busy restaurant area, so I would have to drive out of the way to get lunch.

At my last job, many of my co-workers would get fast food EVERY day! I just can't imagine doing that, because it adds up so quickly.

Do you pack lunches?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to be really good about bringing my own lunch, but it was often something very simple, like a Lean Pocket and a can of diet soda, or a Lean Cuisine meal. But when I started my last two jobs, I really used the lunch time as a means of getting out of my workplace and going for a ride to clear my mind. So I ended up eating out just about every day. I would try to stick to the dollar menus though, and bring my own bottled water with me. I smoked at the time as well, so it also served as a nice long smoke break for me.

The other issue was I went from working at a company with under 20 people, to a company with over 250 people - so trying to store stuff in their fridges, as well as getting a moment to use their microwaves was a lot less convenient.

It was very tempting at times to hit up some of the nicer restaurants for lunch, but as you noted, that adds up really quickly. Once in a while I would splurge though.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I currently work at home, so I don't have to pack a lunch. When I go back out into the workplace again, I certainly will, though. And I pack my boyfriend a lunch every day, too. There are occasional times where I have gotten fast food in the past and likely will again in the future, too, but for the most part, I really don't like spending that kind of money. On top of that, I always feel sluggish after eating fast food, so it makes it harder to work after my lunch is over if I buy crappy foods.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I work at home now, but back when I worked in an office, I never used to pack lunch. I'm usually too lazy or in a hurry during mornings, and we had so many options near the place I worked, anyway, so I didn't feel the need to do it. Also, having to bring it around along with all the other things I had to carry seemed like kind of a chore, not to mention I'd have to bring the container home if I used one that day. The only downside is that eating out everyday can get costly, but at least it's freshly prepared that way.

5. Adrean J

Adrean JNew Member

Threads:
    I personally feel that packing a lunch is so important. I agree that going out daily can be costly, but it is also very unhealthy to go out to eat every single day. I watched my mom gain about 50 lbs. after she started going out to eat with her co-workers daily. I'm sure she could have avoided some of it by ordering off of the healthy menu, but it is still much more health conscious to pack a well balanced lunch. Some things I like to pack are apple slices, different sandwiches and wraps, flavored waters and usually some graham crackers or a fat free pudding for dessert.

6. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've packed lunch, but currently I don't do it because I can get really cheap meals at my job. So yes, it's some expense at the end of the day, but it's a small luxury I can afford right now, I don't need to prepare lunch the night before and carry it to work.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Something I've started doing is packing a lunch the night before because my mornings are always hectic. It's been a good system for me as the biggest deterrent for not bringing a lunch was not having enough time in the morning to pack.

Overall, I think it's a good idea to pack a lunch. Much easier on your budget and a lot healthier than eating out every day!

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is exactly what I do, too! I hate trying to scramble to put something together in the morning!

I just make it part of my dinner cleanup. So instead of putting all the leftovers into a single bowl, I go ahead and split it if there's more than one meal. I'll include any side dishes into the same bowl, too.

So for example, tonight we had poppy seed chicken over rice with a side of green beans. The bowl for my boyfriend's lunch tomorrow has rice, with the chicken on top, and green beans to the side. It's sitting right on the top shelf of the fridge so I can put it in a lunch bag in the morning.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    All the time! Buying sandwiches every day can prove expensive in the long run and most times I don't even like the ingredients they use. So I bought myself a sandwich maker and I'm pretty happy with it. Not only do I get to choose the ingredients I'm using, resulting in much healthier food, but I already feel the difference in my wallet. As for drinks, I fill a small plastic bottle with tap water and that keeps me hydrated until I get home.

10. Loyal

LoyalBanned

Threads:
    I usually cook alot for dinner so I would just take leftovers to work. But sometimes when I feel good I would cook on Sundays and prep everything for the work week. Simple lunches and snacks for work since I can't really pig out there. Lol. The only problem is I always miss breakfast.

11. tcomfortbl

tcomfortblNew Member

Threads:
    Packing lunch equals huge savings per month. For those that want to get out, take your sack lunch somewhere outside your office and eat.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Since I'm trying to eat healthy these days, yes, I do pack my own lunch. I notice that when I eat out, I tend to go for fast food to avoid the long wait and I know this is not really healthy in the long run. I make sure that I prepare a really well-balanced lunch and I always bring salad with me. I also like eating steamed fish. It's very easy to prepare and yet very healthy.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work at home but I do need to go out to work at least one day a week. Usually on that one day I will eat out but it is not usually a sit down meal, we do a lot of driving and need to work during the hours the business we visit is open so if we have to travel some distance we will not stop for lunch. Having to purchase luchn every day can become expensive and fattening. When I worked in the corporate world I took a lunch to free up my time to allow me to take a walk or something else I would like to do beside eating.

14. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    At my last job, we had a cafeteria in the office building. It wasn't too expensive, but eating meals everyday there can really suck the money right outta your wallet. I packed my lunch 80% of the time when I worked there, but if I ever forgot to bring the bag, I knew I had an alternative close by. I always recommend people pack lunch to save on costs and help cut down calories.

15. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I prefer packing my lunch, it's way to expensive to buy lunch every day. Besides the cost, buying lunch isn't very good for your health, think about it, all that fast food, the empty calories add up and produce a not too good physical form. So, for the sake of health and monetary well being, I just pack my own lunch and eat out every once in a while as a treat.

16. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    I loved to pack lunch when I was younger but when you have a job that requires you to work sane hours you just become accustomed to going out and buying your own lunch. It would so be healthier and probably more affordable if I actually made my own lunch but ultimately I love the idea of physically having to go out and buy something to eat. If anything it's sort of part of the whole experience of working in some offices. Everyone orders out and eats out. If any thing bringing food from home sometimes looks strange in some environments.

17. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I absolutely pack my lunch everyday for work! It literally turns my stomach when my co-workers eat fast food everyday. I wonder how can they do it and not feel sick! Not to mention, they are spending money on junk everyday. Mind you that money can be use for something else like gas at the end of the week. I can't do it and bringing my lunch saves me money.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I prepare a lunch box on most days, unless I oversleep and have to rush to work. I usually prepare something light the night before, such as a salad or some grain with vegetables. Sometimes I just pack fruit and nuts, depending on the weather. Occasionally I will have lunch with a friend, but that doesn't happen too often these days, as I am trying to save money.

19. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Before I worked from home I generally brought my lunch. I just didn't want to spend about $10/day on food when I had plenty of good, healthy food at home. I would usually pack my lunch the night before so in the morning I could grab and go.

20. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Well, I stay at home with my son so yes, we eat at home most of the time. :) My husband also takes his lunch. He used to take leftovers but has recently started taking sandwiches with an apple and carrots. Its in an effort to not eat so "heavy" during the day. Either way, it has saved us a lot of money!