Do You Pay Attention To Fashion?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Jun 6, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people whether they embrace frugality or not, desire to dress fashionably.

But need you go with the trend when you are sure something won't stick around for long? Supposing you bought clothes which will only be fashionable for two or three months wouldn't that be wasted money since once that fad is replaced with another you'd have to move on to the next?

Isn't it better to buy quality pieces that you can wear all year round until the clothes are worn out?

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like knowing what’s out there, but I’ll only adopt a trend if I think I’ll still enjoy it once it’s past its sell-by date, or if a certain trend tends to come back around more frequently depending on the season. Not only do certain trends and fads not last very long, many of them won’t even suit me. Certain trends don’t really suit anyone.

But I do think trendy items have their place. High-quality, classic pieces are essential for the backbone of a wardrobe, and the trendy stuff is a dash of fun. Use them sparingly and ask yourself if you really like them, or if you’re just drawn to them because they’re trendy.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In another life I used to work in fashion and I still follow and take a keen interest. I used to work at London Fashion Week and it's all commercial. I mix fashionable items with classics, more the colors and the fit, but what suits me more.

The importance of fashion depends on your lifestyle and isn't about age, but I like vintage and retro which is a fashion in itself. Things go quickly out of fashion, only to come back a couple of years later and that's the fashion industry.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you, but if you have the extra money, then I think that you can at least buy one pair just to be "in", then you can buy the classic clothes again. If you want, buy the used counterpart of the fad clothing too so that you can save more money.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like following the crowd. I don't even need to keep up, it's all around me.. everyone looks the same lol. I do dress fashionably.. but to me that doesn't mean cookie cutter. Cookie cutter isn't unique, trendy isn't unique. Fashionable to me are the ones who stand out from all that.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pay attention to fashion by watching award shows with my mom and we make fun of a lot of the outfits on there haha. I really don't get the fashion of today.
    I guess it's because I'm not a clothes person but I really don't get the point in following the crowd when it comes to fashion especially. You are the one having to put it on your body so why would you wear something you're not comfortable with? Isn't what you wear a part of you? So I just wear what I like.

7. yvannahgeorgianne

yvannahgeorgianneNew Member

Threads:
    I don't like wearing the same clothes as other people. The idea that I have watching outfits with someone makes me cringe lol. I'd rather buy basics but sometimes I still buy trendy clothes that I think classy enough, those that I can still wear even if it's not a trend anymore. I don't get the point of wearing clothes you don't even like, or doesn't look good on you just so you can be trendy. Besides, trends nowadays are weird!

8. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    That's exactly me! I don't go for very, very trendy clothes because I am looking at the "future." I keep asking myself if these clothes will still look good after a year or when the next vogue comes in. I tend to buy those that have simple lines, or plain t-shirt-like blouses so that they will still look good and in for the coming years.

9. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    I pay attention to fashion, especially high fashion, because honestly I really like the modern look of clothes that are coming out and that will be released in the future. I think that fashion is something that is really important to me, however I do not try to always follow the trends, especially if I do not really like them. I think that paying attention to fashion and following trends are two completely different things js.

10. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I don't follow the latest trend in fashion. I always choose something that i like and not what is in. It should look good and fit perfectly. I also consider if i am comfortable with the clothes. Some clothes look really good but fits lousy. I choose something comfortable at the same time presentable.

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree. I would rather buy clothes that will last longer. I really don't care what other people are wearing. I will see in 17 magazine what they are wearing and if I like it, then I will try to find something like that. When I go shopping I just like to find clothes that I would like wearing. I'm not going to wear something that I don't like. That's basically how I shop for my clothes.

12. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know. Clothes are cheap. I have a few things that I won't skimp on (jeans and bras, for example) but otherwise, clothes are a dime a dozen. It is easily justifiable to be trendy when we have consignment stores and places like H&M.

I say this fully realizing women's clothing is far cheaper than men's clothing.

I also happen to be a size that is really easy to shop for. It would be different if I needed clothes to help or hide certain physical things I was "working on."

I also shop out of season - so hitting sales makes good quality clothes again, affordable.

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I may be out of place but I admit that I don't go for fashion. My usual wear is the slacks (pants) and I seldom wear skirts. But mind you, I have great legs, hahahaaa. It's just that I am more comfortable with slacks or shorts for casual occasions.

14. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I am with you! I consider myself a fashionable person, but not necessarily trendy. I believe you can have great style on a budget and that half of being stylish is also being unique. So while trends might go in and out, personal style will transcend what goes in and out. If it fits me well, compliments my body, looks good and is fashionable it will stay in my closet.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pay attention to fashion in the sense that there is not really any way to not see the changes happening. You go out with your friends and go about your life, and begin to notice certain fashion as time goes by. So in that sense yes, but I certainly do not go out of my way to follow the latest trends in fashion.

16. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm aware of fashion trends, but don't follow them closely. I absolutely agree with what you said, Denis. I tend to buy nice styles and cuts that I know will transcend time; classics that I know will last through the seasons. Fashion is just too expensive to stay on top of!

17. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I do not always follow trends since they come and go so often. There are trendy fashions that actually express my style and I keep them. I like fashion in general and because I often sew my own clothes, I can use features I like; like a collar or cut.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to pay more attention than I do now. I would watch fashion shows, see the trends, follow fashionable celebrities I loved. All that. Now I occasionally see something here and there but I don't go after it or go crazy searching for fashion. I have a very classic style, I use a lot of flats, shorts and silk blouses. Those are always in fashion!

19. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I don't care that much about fashion. I dress comfortably and try to find a look that I feel suits me well. Following the latest fashion trends has never been something I like to do.

20. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wear what I can afford mostly. I see Vanna White on Wheel of Fortune and love her gowns and dresses, but back to reality my budget. I shop Walmart find a $3 short pants and am very happy with it because it's been so hot lately in Hawaii. I love to see what everyone wore at the Emmy Awards and other gala events, but reality is my budget.