Do You Pay For Apps?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Diane Lane • Jul 28, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I have probably paid for 2 or 3 apps out of all of the apps I use. I tend to use the free lower level apps first, to see if I like the app, before deciding to buy it. I usually don't use them enough to justify the cost, although there is one I'm considering purchasing, because I use it for at least a few minutes at least twice a day, and the ads, although short, do become annoying after a while. There's a least one other app I'm considering paying for, but I think it's only around $.99, and even I can afford that.

If my local news stations had pay no-advertisement options, I might consider upgrading, because the ads are so intrusive, and with one of them, I can't even read an entire story without the ads taking over the whole phone screen, but I've determined that I'm going to uninstall that app because it's so annoying.

Do you buy apps? If so, are there specific ones that you feel it's more beneficial to pay for initially, or eventually upgrade to? My main reason for paying would be to exclude advertisements, but I know some game apps offer higher levels and such things to paying users, but I haven't used those types of apps, so I'm not sure I'd find value in paying for them. Are there other reasons to pay for apps?

2. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never paid money for smartphone apps.When there are lost of free good apps why should I pay for app? I of course buy software for my computer. Some of the software that I use are very expensive. For instance, I paid a big money for Photoshop. However, on my handheld device, I have always used free apps.

3. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I can honestly say that I have never spent a dime on any app. I have found that if there ever is a service that costs money, there is most likely one that you can also get for free. It might not be as good, but it usually does the job well enough to justify not having to spend the money. I can see that changing soon, though, just because I can sense the greed of these app companies starting to take over. They need a profit just like every other business.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use a lot of apps to start off with. I only need a few for my work, and the ones that I am using are all free. I even use free language learning tools, and they work quite well. Obviously, I am aware that I will have more options available with a paid application, but really, I don't need those extra features. I am a very resourceful person and find most of the things that I need for free on the internet.

5. annacath

annacathNew Member

Threads:
    I will not pay for app. If an app need to pay, I will not use it. But if for work, I will consider about it. Business app will more professional and more useful.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only way I would pay for one is if it were the only one of its kind and I felt I absolutely needed it. That hasn't been the case yet.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of the apps that I have are the free ones, too. And like you , @Diane Lane@Diane Lane , I usually try the free version first when possible, and then once I know I will use it, I get the deluxe version. Photo editing apps are a good example for me.
    Most of the basic ones, you can see what they will do, and then once you know you will use those tools, it is worth paying for the upgrade to have the extra features.
    I also listen to subliminal improvement tapes at night when I go to bed sometimes, and once I try out the free version, and decide that I like how well it works, and that the voice is not bothersome, then I will purchase the whole set if it is relevant to me, and affordable.
    Otherwise, most of the things I have on either the phone or the iPad are just free ones, and they work fine for me.

8. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    I have not yet paid for an app, though I almost did once. I wound up going with software for my PC instead. Mostly I am too busy looking at all the free apps and have not really even delved into the paid stuff yet.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hardly ever buy apps. If I want an app for a certain purpose, I'll look around the net to see which apps are the best for whatever it is I need them for. Some will be apps one has to buy but that research at least arms me with info I'll use when hunting for a free alternative that just as good as the paid apps. If I don't find one and I just must use the app then I'll have no option but to hand over the money.

Freemium apps are what everyone should avoid. These are designed with the primary purpose of making you spend a lot of money on in app purchases to access premium features. Either buy an app outright or use one that's completely free. Say no to freemium.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of using apps, the only ones I have on my phone are Adobe PDF Reader, Opera Mini and Tiny Flashlight. You're right though, why would you pay if you can get apps for free, right?