Do You Pay Sales Tax For Online Purchases?

Discussion in Online Shopping started by Denis Hard • Nov 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people who buy their stuff online do so not for the convenience. They buy the things they need online because they'll be cheaper. But you won't be saving a lot of money if you are paying sales tax. Do you guys know of any ways one can avoid paying sales tax on online purchases?

2. jessicazi

jessicaziNew Member

Threads:
    what products do you buy? sometimes the seller add the tax to the product price, and they tell us it doesn't need any tax.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't want to pay for the sales tax, of course, so I want it clear that the tag price is the net amount that I would pay for. But one time, I ordered from Mizzue, an online boutique that is a dropshipper (acting as broker for products). What I bought came from Hongkong so I was charged an importation tax by the delivery courier. That's a neat lesson to me so now I verify the amount to be paid and have a confirmation that it is a boutique and not a dropshipping agent.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some companies don't charge sales tax because of where they are situated, but mainly I have found you get charged the rate for the state the good will be delivered to, or where your card is registered. I doubt you can get around sales tax too much, although when a state has the tax free weekend, (not all states) then that can apply to some websites too.

It worked for me when I bought from Best Buy and I ordered online and has no sales tax charged, when it was the tax free weekend.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The way it works here is that if the person is selling within their state, they pay (or charge) sales tax. If the item is going to a different state, that isn't the case. I tend to purchase from outside of my state for that reason, when shopping online. I pay enough sales tax already when I buy items offline, and need every penny I can get.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If the item was ordered locally I don't pay anything extra than what I paid for the item and shipping, but when tthe item is from abroad, then I usually get charged by the customs office some "tax" depending on the item aside from the "storage fee" that they charge us.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon charges taxes on items in some states and no taxes in other states. It is the law somebody has to pay the tax if there is a charge it will be added to the price of the item if it is not included in the final amount paid by you.