Do You Pay Someone To Carry Your Shopping For You?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by mildredtabitha • Nov 21, 2017.

1. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    Carrying shopped items can be tiring especially when you shopped for many things and you have to carry them all by yourself on your way back home. Personally, I always shop for things I am sure I can carry and won't tire me so much. I also prefer going to shop with my sister so we can distribute the shopped items and help each other to carry on our way back home.

Most people have personal cars and they won't experience this problem. For those who walk around with all the items they shopped and they find them to be heavy, do you pay someone to carry your goods for you?

2. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    There are kids in my neighborhood who go around and start helping people carry their shoppings bags so they can get a tip so they can buy what their parents can't buty for them. This makes me so sad to think children are out and about looking for ways to earn money so I do let them help me out even though sometimes I dont need it. I know I won't be doing that with my child I will instead work harder to provide for her needs.

3. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In some cases, yes. We're doing it to help others. By giving them tips, these group or a boy to help you carry your shopping purchases could let them.earn.

In our place, particularly in the big malls, shopping carriers are.trustworthy. They have a good record. Mall security guard could vouch for their honesty.

4. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    I also feel bad when I see kids looking for ways to make money. You are doing a nice deed by letting them carry so they can get something in return.

My neighbor got robbed in August. She had given a young man some goods filled in a suck so he could carry and take them to the stage. The man disappeared with them and so I can't claim that the shopping carriers in my town are trustworthy.

I always like it when my father is present because those young men never steal from other men. :)

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No I don't pay anyone to help me carry my purchases...I don't know if we have anything like that locally on Oahu. I go shopping a few days a week, so I don't have to carry too much at one time. Sales are one week, so you can shop for things 7 days. I have a pull cart called a Trolley Dolly. My Trolley Dolly is brown. v34413. You can use the Trolley Dolly as a hand cart when you pull out the bag. It's durable and I've carried over a gallon with it. The commercial says you can carry up to 300 pounds! I have a metal push cart too. Once another bus rider and I began talking about our purchases that how we buy a bit more than we wanted, for it's so inexpensive...we smile and complain about our sore arm and back, lol. Luckily I live just a half block from Marukai Wholesale Mart where I can get a microwave oven, 15 pounds bags of rice and ethnic foods and ethnic things that is so essential especially at New Years time. I don't drive any longer and have no car, so I depend on my cousin and other family and friends when in need of a car. The taxi is very expensive and going on the bus at night is not safe. Adjusting and learning how to carry things safely and conveniently is the key when purchasing things. The bus has a handicap lift, that they let us use when we ask the bus driver for it. Sometimes we do buy heavy and a lot of things. There are nice people who gladly help you go up and down the bus entrance and exit, some nice people are women, too!

6. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    Thanks to your post I have learned about the trolley dolley. I have seen similar bags to that on the bag section at my local supermarket but I have never seen them in use. It seems they are not common.

I always use the bus when I have shopped in town. I am glad to know that women help at bus entrances and exit. What I have witnessed is men only doing the helping here. :)

7. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of that service in this country but I would help someone who was struggling for free especially if they were old. I have a car so it's not so bad for me but I must admit there have been times when I bought more than I thought I would and had to struggle home with heavy bags so I know how tiring it can be.

I definitely like that picture of a trolley dolly especially now I'm getting on a bit in years. I always thought they were more for old people but they're looking more appealing these days:)

8. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I never paid for anyone to buy things on a shop for me. I always do it myself and I'm not that type that does bulk purchasing anyway and it's easier to buy things where I can bargain well instead of sending someone to do that for me.

9. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    Sorry to get you confused but I did not mean sending someone. I meant paying someone to carry your heavy shopping for you and help you take them to your home.

In my country, it is also not a service. It is just some people in town who decide to help out people carrying heavy items in exchange of money. You can choose to refuse their offer and you can also decide to let them carry your heavy items for you as you walk back home and then you pay them.

10. wendypie

wendypieNew Member

Threads:
    In my country, the rate of unemployment is very high averaging ninety-two percent. Being paid to carry shopping is a job to many people. They can even ask you to let them carry even the smallest of parcels for money. Funny enough there are some people who do not want to carry anything even a loaf of bread.

Some pay people to carry their shopping to protect their reputation and some see it as a form of classy thing. Some will be very rich and find carrying lots of shopping by themselves as degrading.

I do pay someone when I have done lots of shopping. To me, its a way to create employment and a way to lessen the rate of crime which often skyrockets when there is high rate of unemployment.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have never paid anyone to carry my shopped items. When I go to shop, I always go on my car. However, I have been paid to carry shopping for some people. These people were my friends and family and the payment came as a cone of ice cream, a cup of coffeee or a chocolate bar. LOL

12. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've been to different malls in my country and I haven't seen a person make an offer to carry one's baggage for a fee. There's just no need for this type of service as we can use the supermarket trolley up to the parking area or public transport terminal. From there, we can hire vehicles to take us home. If this isn't the case, then I normally would just buy whatever I can carry. I don't really have a budget for a porter and I never had to pay one.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    No, because I do not see the slightest need to do this. It's best to rearrange the time and do the buying myself. So, once you get organized you don't ask this for anyone.

14. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the Sunday flea market, there are many children offering to carry the shopping bags. But we haven't tried it yet not really for the expense but we are afraid that something might happen to the children. What if there was an accident like the heavy bag falls on the foot of the child? We could be sued because child labor is illegal here. What we do is bring along our housemaid in case we have plans of buying a lot. At least the carrier is in our control and not a child that we do not know.

15. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    I do understand your case very well. Unemployment is also high in my country. I know people are making a living by carrying other people's luggage. I also agree that doing this is better than committing crimes. :)

I believe it is right not to give children those items to carry. At my place, only young men can be trusted in carrying heavy items. :) No women or kids are allowed to do such work.

16. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    I also have a Trolly Dolly!:) I had a purple one which is discarded and I now use a black one. Yes I have paid some folks in the mall a couple of times to assist with my shopping bags. Sometimes though, the distance is not that great and I wouldn't die if I were to carry it myself but then it's a way of helping the homeless/jobless have something to eat for the day.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :)You know what...I got a discount on my Trolley Dolly from amazon.com because it's scratched on the inside of the material holder bag, which you can't really tell that there's a scratch and it's on the inside too and paid only 25.34 for it! It works so good, rubber wheels so it's a quiet little pull cart with only needing a bit of oiling from time to time...I use household oil that works well with sewing machines too. So if you can get one with a bit of scratch or something at amazon you can get it for less. :D I'm a Senior Citizen so some women are so nice for they understand when you go shopping, I guess so they kindly help me too.

18. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    Thanks for this recommendation :). I will consider amazon when I decide to purchase a trolley dolley. It is around the same price at my local markets but I am not sure about the quality here.

I also see it as a nice way of helping those with no jobs. :D It also shows their way of earning is decent and we always give them hope by letting them do such tasks for us in exchange for money.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure but if you mean paying to courier services for bringing your ordered items then yes we all do that but if you think I would pay someone or anyone pay me for carrying shopping bags that sounds a little out of place. I would rather do it if someone requested me to bring something for them if I am going to a particular place but it would feel personally awkward if I charged or paid for this service.

20. mildredtabitha

Threads:
    I didn't mean the courier services. And yes, paying someone to carry your bags or shopping for you feels out of place. Personally, I feel I have to carry what I purchased no matter how heavy it is because I am sane enough to know I should have bought what I can carry.

But some people offer this services in markets and towns because they are looking for ways to earn. And that is what made me ask because you can pay someone to carry some heavy items for you especially for those with no personal vehicles.