Do you pay your health care debts? I DON'T!

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by bellamamma • Jul 6, 2012.

1. bellamamma

bellamammaNew Member

Threads:
    Okay, how many of you get bills, bills, and more bills for health care services, even though you have insurance? I have very good insurance, including a secondary insurance, that pays for just about everything except for the usual dentistry and a few others. I am so tired of getting bills that eventually lead to collection services for health treatments that my health insurance should of paid for. When I first receive these bills I always ignore the first 2 because 75% of the time my health insurance usually picks up on it and eventually pays it. If I receive a third bill than I get on the phone and start making the tedious and annoying phone calls. Even though it seems as if everything is taken care of, things are not taken care of!! I keep receiving these huge health bills that are ruining parts of my credit! I have good credit. I never leave big payments left on cards, and I never don't pay things. I always pay my bills and I keep track of my financial situations very well. I do not appreciate having these health care problems when I have PAY for health insurance. Does anyone else have this problem? I totally just ignore them after so much time. I get too frustrate and I cannot take it and I give up.

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I do not have any health care debt. I pay for it when I need to. Also, the health system we have is pretty complete and money is sorted out beforehand and not after. That would be quite annoying for one to get such bills. Sounds like it is a bit disorganized on their side of things.

3. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I pay for my healthcare related expenses. I have insurance and I understand that my insurance coverage doesn't always cover the entire amount of the bill. It is my responsibility to pay the remainder of the bill. If you don't pay your bills, the cost of healthcare rises for those of us who do. I understand your frustration but its the way the system is structured for now.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely get sick, but I do pay my healthcare costs. I don't understand why you are getting health bills if you have a primary and secondary insurance carriers.Were the services applied to your deductible? Not paying them will ruin your credit.

5. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going through, but agree with the above poster because it could definitely ruin your credit to just "leave" things go. I used to work with the Business Office of our local hospital and we had financial counselors that were specifically designated to work with such issues. It sounds as if you have been on the phone a lot with similar financial counselors, but you should consider going in to discuss it face to face. There are often times problems where something that you are looking at might be different than the Explanation of Benefits they are looking at. We even took the opportunity for some real extreme cases to do conference calls with the patient was in our office with the insurance company. That way the patient, the doctors office and the insurance company were all on the same page at the same time - rather than having a middle man at all times.

If you have any other questions that I might be able to help with, just send me a message. I have done my fair share with insurance companies and would love to help if i can!

6. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Medical debt can be more emotionally stressful than other types of debt because it almost never accrues by choice. Medical debt is most often a product of an unforeseen illness or accident. It can add up quickly and unexpectedly, while amplifying the health problems that caused it. We’re here to help you understand medical expenses, medical debt, and how to deal with bills you can’t afford.